Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Floorless a-la Hulk

Floorless a-la Hulk

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post September 6th, 2012, 7:04 pm

Points on hand: 92.00 Points
Bank: 1,341.05 Points
The color scheme. I'm not a huge fan, though.

I think some 3Ds might be in order to make this a bit more Hulk-ey.

Post September 6th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
the roll after the launch seems a bit large and the corks just look wierd
What are these for?

Post September 6th, 2012, 10:57 pm

The corks are weird. It's because of a slow entry speed, though. The zero-G is not intended to be exactly like Hulk, just similar. I really want to add an element of originality in this to set it apart from actual B&M coasters. I know, someone that's not trying to design in the fashion of a real company, what nonsense!

Post September 6th, 2012, 11:29 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
my comment about the roll was more that seems drawn out, than it being like hulk's, I feel you can get more speed if you shortened it and made the exit/ drop steeper
What are these for?

Post September 6th, 2012, 11:35 pm

If I tighten that roll anymore than it really is, I get too many lats in the roll. I think I've found a good balance for the launch speed and what I think is acceptable for lats. It peaks somewhere around 1.2-1.3

Edit: I'm going to play with the roll some more. I might be able to get some more speed out of it.

Post September 6th, 2012, 11:58 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
The corkscrews look absolutely terrible. I hate to be that blunt about it, but they really do. You need to use more than 2 segments per roll. I would say that the minimum number of segments to get a reasonably-shaped corkscrew is 6...

Speaking of shaping concerns, I don't care whether or not you're designing to the B&M style, but there's a reason that B&M corkscrews are shaped the way they are, and it's the same reason that arrow's corkscrews suck balls. As far as I can tell, B&M shapes their corkscrews to give riders the impression of a constant speed of rotation, even though their forward speed is slowing down, then speeding back up as they traverse the element. This "speed of rotation" I'm talking about is the one measured in degrees/second, not degrees/meter. It's a subtle, but very very important difference. From what I can see, Intamin exaggerates their rolls even farther; that is the speed of rotation speeds up as the train nears the crest. So, it's really up to you to decide which "modern" interpretation of the corkscrew you want to use, but I guarantee you that a linear rotation transition won't cut it, especially when it's accompanied by 2-segment trackwork.

Post September 7th, 2012, 12:23 am

I think a higher rate of speed into that section should help with the shaping a bit. I could also scrap the corks all together; they're a pain in the arse to shape anyway.

Post September 12th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Points on hand: 1,676.00 Points
^
Here's a good example of speed. 1st element and the 1st cork are at same speed at apex of inversion.

And yes B&M corks are a pain, especially since I'm hand building. What I did was make one cork, copied it and inserted it at 5% smaller, then make necessary adjustments to the in/out transitions. That took at least a couple of weeks.

If you like I can copy one cork for and send to you as an element. No credit necessary when released. It's just an element. It's far from perfect.
Do Not Look At My Hard Hat Threads I Am Not Advertising My Rides In My Posts' So Please Don't Look At My (insert Coaster name here) It's Not In The Hard Hat Area

Post September 12th, 2012, 5:26 pm
RideWarriorNation User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 1,533.40 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Return to Hard Hat Area