Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions GateKeeper Construction spurs Ohio economy

GateKeeper Construction spurs Ohio economy

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post January 31st, 2013, 8:22 pm

Points on hand: 2,204.00 Points
B&M's prices are getting out of control. 30 million. That is more than Leviathan costed. Nitro costed 20 million and was much larger, taller, and required a lot more steel and land.

Post January 31st, 2013, 8:31 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
the project is much more than just the roller coaster though, they're getting a whole new entrance plaza, I'm sure thats included in the ivestment price
What are these for?

Post January 31st, 2013, 8:55 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Post January 31st, 2013, 9:01 pm

Also, Im going to bet the foundations for this ride are A lot more complex than either of the rides you mentioned, with this being right on the beach.

Post January 31st, 2013, 9:27 pm

Originally posted by Freddie

Also, Im going to bet the foundations for this ride are A lot more complex than either of the rides you mentioned, with this being right on the beach.

Nitro is built in whats essentially a swamp so the same goes for it.

Post January 31st, 2013, 9:32 pm

Post January 31st, 2013, 10:55 pm

Originally posted by Freddie

Not the same at all but ok.

Great adventures water table is very shallow. So shallow that they can't build any tunnels. Nitro is also surrounded by swamp and a lake. It is very similar to a beach. They also had to cut down many trees and due to local ordinance were required to plant 2 trees for every tree they cut down. That was all included in the costs and it still costs far less while being a much larger coaster with a much larger footprint.

Post February 1st, 2013, 12:02 am
bockzilla User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 140.00 Points

^
Dont forget the cost of the removal of the space spiral and disaster transport are included. Since MF and TTD cost 25 million, Maverick cost 21 million, so I do not see where 30 million for Gatekeeper is out of line.
If you are going to make a scene, be seen.

Post February 1st, 2013, 5:02 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
Originally posted by blackhand1001

B&M's prices are getting out of control. 30 million. That is more than Leviathan costed. Nitro costed 20 million and was much larger, taller, and required a lot more steel and land.

When did Nitro open? I'll tell you, it opened in 2001. You're missing the 12 years of inflation that makes this ride more expensive. Also, Leviathan cost 28 million so Gatekeeper's 30 million is not showing B&M prices going up to out of control areas. Plus as others mentioned, you had to demo Disaster Transport and the Space Spiral to make way for Gatekeeper and that us added in along with the new entrance design. And don't think for a second that it costs a ton of money to cut down and plant trees. You could certainly find a crew to cut down and remove a few trees for a small price. Perhaps as low as 20 to 30 grand. Planting a tree or two can't cost more then a few hundred dollars per tree so I'd say that .75% of Nitro's budget was tree removal/transplanting.

Also, swamp land and beach/sand are very different to build on. I am no structural engineer but I doubt you'd have to be one to know that. I would think that swamp land is harder to build on so I'll give you that point.

You really can't use Nitro to make any point here since the US economy has been crap the last decade or so since the war started, and not to get political or anything but, Obama really is not doing anything to get it moving again. Remember, way is this ride so much? Because the US dollar is barley worth the paper its printed on. IE: Inflation.

Post February 1st, 2013, 5:10 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Blackhand, compare Nitro and Shambhala's stats.

Now compare their prices.

Inflation!

Post February 1st, 2013, 1:31 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
SFGAdv is near a dam. They purposely keep the water at that level near SFGAdv, so it obviously isn't as swampy as you're implying it is if they had to build a dam to keep water there.

The more you know courtesy of Google.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Return to General Theme Park Discussions