Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions CW, Hersheypark, KD, or SFGAdv?

CW, Hersheypark, KD, or SFGAdv?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post February 17th, 2013, 12:50 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Hey all! I'm looking for some opinions. Many of you have likely been to one or more of the following parks: Canada's Wonderland, Hersheypark, King's Dominion, and Six Flags Great Adventure. Would anyone care to weigh in and say which trip would be the most worth it?

Keep in mind these distance constraints; the closer the park, the easier and more likely it is to go there:
-CW is only 4 hours from me
-Hershey is 8.5
-SFGAdv is 10
-KD is 12 (highly unlikely...)

CW would be the cheapest by far, because it's much closer and I have a CF platinum pass already. But I really think the others have a ton to offer.

I've also considered combining a Hersheypark trip with SFGAdv because it's on the way. That's doable.

Opinions, comments, concerns? I'd really appreciate some feedback [:)]
Last edited by tiepilot35 on February 17th, 2013, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post February 17th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Points on hand: 2,204.00 Points
Great adventure. It has the best collection of all of those. El Toro and Nitro alone are worth the trip. Kingda Ka is worth the trip as well and has had short lines recently as they have done a great job with capacity lately with the modified station programming and procedures. It actually been one of the shortest lines on my recent trips. A combo trip with Hershey is not a bad idea either. Hershey has the strangest layout though. A ride will be like right in front of you but you have to walk like around a whole section to get to it.

Post February 17th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I'd say do hershey and great adventure combo. Great adventure has a nice set of B&Ms and el toro, can't say much about kingda ka since it was closed when I was there. And hershey has a great set of nf intamins, including skyrush, which I personally rate just above nitro, also hershey has a very playful atmosphere about imo that I just dont feel at other paces
What are these for?

Post February 17th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Originally posted by blackhand1001

[lol][lol][lol][lol][lol][lol]

Post February 17th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Points on hand: 1,101.00 Points
Definitely go to Hershey and Great Adventure on the same trip. Hershey is a pretty relaxing trip. Most of the rides don't have terribly long lines aside from Skyrush and Fahrenheit. El Toro and Nitro alone make Great Adventure worth going the extra distance.

King's Dominion is fun, but I don't think it's worth 12 hours of travel for you. Unless you're really that intent on riding I305, it's not worth it IMO.

I've never been to CW, so I can't tell you anything about that :P
Plot Twist: I'm still alive

Post February 17th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

I've been to all 4 in the last 2 years and I'd say do the SFGADV/Hershey combo...they aren't that far apart. KD has the best ride (i305) but it's the only good thing there. Hershey has a bunch (SkyRush, Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, Great Bear) and so does SFGADV (Toro, Ka, Nitro, etc)

Post February 17th, 2013, 9:34 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Kings Dominion really only has I305 and Volcano worth riding.

I agree with Jakizle here. I went to Hersheypark and SFGAdv. back in September within a week.

Honestly, Skyrush is much better than I305, and Kingda Ka/Storm Runner trump Volcano.

Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post February 17th, 2013, 10:30 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Post February 17th, 2013, 10:46 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
Hershey is cool and if the ride ops get up and do something the lines are short. Though they are slow at getting you on your way. Fahrenheit is cool but the load times can take forever. Storm Runner I have only been one twice. The first time I thought it was boring, then the second time I got a seat up front and it was great. Skyrush is probably the most out of control ride there. I really thought it was trying to buck me off the train lol. I didnt need to wait for it (ERT) but I have seen very long lines for it. If you can find the path right to it you should be ok. I would ride it right away since its undoubtedly the most popular ride in the park coaster-wise. SDL with its new trains is nice to. Always been a good ride. Great Bear is really cool to.

Great Adventure is really cool and I have not really had an issue with lines there. I have never waited more then 10 or so minutes for Ka but that must just be luck or something. Toro is great and the line moves at a decent speed but the station is very tight. Nitro is well, Nitro. Batman is ok but I still prefer Talon over it.

As most have said, do the Hershey, Great Adventure trip. I have never been to Wonderland and I like Kings Dominion but if its that far it might not be worth it for you. I might even suggest a side trip to Dorney. If you have the Platinum Pass you can pop in, ride the good rides and get out in about 45 minutes to an hour if its not busy. Plus its on the way right off I-78 almost halfway between the two.

Post February 18th, 2013, 11:34 am

Points on hand: 1,233.00 Points
Originally posted by Tetsu

Skyrush is probably the most out of control ride there. I really thought it was trying to buck me off the train lol. I didnt need to wait for it (ERT) but I have seen very long lines for it. If you can find the path right to it you should be ok. I would ride it right away since its undoubtedly the most popular ride in the park coaster-wise. SDL with its new trains is nice to.

I would actually disagree. I was at Hershey this summer, I went straight to Fahrenheit and got first row, second train. If you want to ride Fahrenheit, either go there first, or go right when the park closes, or else you'll wait a good chunk of time. I then circled the park clockwise, skipping Skyrush once I got there. Then I doubled back later, Skyrush tends to empty out after noon-1 before getting busy again around 3-4. I waited in a 15 minute line then for it apposed to a hour line earlier/later. I was also able to wait about 30 minutes for Skyrush before closing. I would go to Fahrenheit first, then go to Skyrush in the afternoon.
Don't underestimate the power of Knex

Post February 18th, 2013, 12:46 pm

Thank you all SO much for your input. I was already inclined toward the Hershey / SFGAdv combo, and you all seem to suggest that option too.

I agree that Intimidator looks like the best ride but it's really the only thing to do there and it's SO far away from me. And Skyrush is essentially comparable to it.

And I've wanted to get to Great Adventure for so long now. I want to ride so much there. It's like I'll be indulging in my Intamin obsession at Hershey and then my Intamin obsession AND B&M love affair at SFGAdv. I'm literally going to break down and weep when surrounded by FIVE B&M's. Not to mention the the beautiful giant blue and green tower, and the roar of a one-of-a-kind Intamin woodie.

I really think that's what I'll choose to do. I may even have free lodging for both areas because of personal connections.

Thanks again, everyone. I appreciate your experienced opinions more than you know. I will consider more input, so keep commenting!

Post February 18th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Here's a brilliant idea:

Ride Skyrush in the last row on the outer wing seats. Give your lap bar a little extra room. Then experience the true definition of ejector air!
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post February 18th, 2013, 2:38 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
As much as i LOVE kings dominion and its ride selection, your best option is definately the SFGAdv Hershey combo. Two fantastic parks. But if you are ever near Kings Dominion you should definitely check it out cuz IMO its one of the best parks around!

Post February 18th, 2013, 2:39 pm
A.S.C. User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 59.00 Points
Bank: 1,276.00 Points
if the restraints on skyrush are anything like ttd's or any other intamin ive ridden then it would get pushed tight up against you the first time you have any positive g's

Post February 18th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
^They are much worse than ttds. In fact, the last couple airtime hills actually hurt a bit because they are so stapled.

Post February 18th, 2013, 3:21 pm

You think they'd come up with a more comfortable system, eh? And don't worry, I intend to ride in the back seat!!

Post February 18th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Points on hand: 1,233.00 Points
Originally posted by rcking04

Here's a brilliant idea:

Ride Skyrush in the last row on the outer wing seats. Give your lap bar a little extra room. Then experience the true definition of ejector air!

Sat in that exact spot, but, didn't give extra leg room.... Lets just say both my legs got amputated.

Skyrush's back seat is amazing, yet really beats you up. Be prepaired!
Don't underestimate the power of Knex

Post February 18th, 2013, 3:39 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I do believe they are working with intamin to redo the restraint system, at least thats why I think they closed it a month earlier than the rest of the coasters
What are these for?

Return to General Theme Park Discussions