Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Strange Poll, but not quite...

Strange Poll, but not quite...

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post July 9th, 2004, 2:53 pm

Points on hand: 4,190.00 Points

I'm writing a tool for doing complex math problems and I need to know which formulas peeps in higher math classes like Calculus and Physics use most and/or take the longest time to solve. It'll also include formulas for other subjects including Algebra I & II, Geometry, Chemistry I & II, Pre-Calculus, Discrete Math, and Probability, and, if I get someone who wants the formulas, Molecular Biology/Biochemistry. So, I need people of all ages to tell me what math formulas they use most, or ones they find hard to deal with, and I'll incorporate them into this program. When it's finished, I'll send comtributers a free copy of it.

Post July 9th, 2004, 6:08 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I do A level maths in a 6th form college......but i don't need help [:D][lol]

We do stats, I guess for you thats probability. Stuff like Normal Distribution tabes and graphs, things like that that are quite time consuming would be very useful.

We do a lot of stuff about motion, moments and forces and I know I always get my Cos, Sin and Tan mixed up [lol] so help with that would be useful for me. Also, I really HATE quadratics, so anything at all to do with helping people with working quadratics out would be cool. Also I have problem with 'Completing the square' if you know what I mean, everyone tells me its really simple, but that one confuses me. Hope that all helps [:)]

Post July 9th, 2004, 8:31 pm

Points on hand: 4,606.00 Points
the whole point in knowing how to do math is that you can do it without any external help (that includes a calculator) making a program that would do all the work for you would be apsolutly usless in the long run.

Post July 10th, 2004, 4:58 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Well while you are learning how to solve certain problems I dont think this kind of thing would be useful, BUT after you have learned it to the full extent and understand it, I wouldnt see a reason why not to use something like this. For instance, if i owned an engineering company, i wouldnt want my employees doing math problems for hours when it could take a few seconds on something like this. Saves alot of time and stress ;)

Post July 11th, 2004, 10:45 am

Points on hand: 4,190.00 Points

Fornication Nation has it exactly. When you already understand a concept, there's no point in wasting time on it. Gouldy, if you can give me the formulas for the Probability/Statistics stuff, I'll stick it in there. I already plan to have quadratics, and "completing the square" (which, with the right equation, only takes like 5 secs - lol, but some are terrible, so...) Um, gouldl, the physics stuff'll also be there, so...

I still need suggestions from the other 6000 users on this site!!! LOL!!

Post July 11th, 2004, 10:57 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

[lol] Thats exactly why I have problems doing the statistics stuff, cus all the formulas are stupidly mental. They are full of all these 'sigmas' and big massive greek looking 'E's, I have no idea what they mean [lol]. I'm pretty bad at maths its my worst subject out of the 4 that I do at 'A' level, I think you may have to find these formulas off somebody else [;)].

Return to Off Topic Discussion