Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Series of mild to moderate earthquakes strike north OC, CA

Series of mild to moderate earthquakes strike north OC, CA

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

For the last few hours; there has been a whole lotta shaking in the La Habra and Brea areas in North Orange County CA.

Earthquakes in OC.jpg

Anyone feel them?
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,873.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Yup! I felt them! I felt the foreshock at around 8 pm and then the main show at 9 pm. I felt some of the aftershocks as well.

It was very close to Knotts Berry Farm and Disneyland/California Adventure. Some riders were stranded on Matterhorn but after the typical inspection after a earthquake, the riders continued on their way.

Overall, it felt pretty cool like jumping up and down on a trampoline. I didn't feel a rolling motion like most people say. How far were you from the epicenter? I'm about 16 miles away.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

I was at work and felt a few of them, in Mira Mesa, about 90-100 miles from the epicenter. The 5.1 was pretty powerful. I work in a portable office trailer, and it felt like someone was jumping up and down in the office. from what I understand there were no immediate reports of significant damage or injuries, which is always a plus.

"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
A bunch of little quakes are better than a single big one.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
A bunch of little quakes are better than a single big one.

Except for the fact that the area that has become recently active, is not the area that seismologists and geologists have been studying for the last 20 years. It only fuels the fact that San Diego, Imperial and Riverside counties have not experienced a massive quake in over one hundred and fifty years, they say "the big one" is long overdue, and the recent activity in northern OC has me on edge even more.

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

We had another one u could feel, 4.1
Paradox wrote:

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
spacemountainfan619 wrote:
Except for the fact that the area that has become recently active, is not the area that seismologists and geologists have been studying for the last 20 years. It only fuels the fact that San Diego, Imperial and Riverside counties have not experienced a massive quake in over one hundred and fifty years, they say "the big one" is long overdue, and the recent activity in northern OC has me on edge even more.

Honestly people studying the area won't help much since you can't predict earthquakes at all. Earthquake prediction has had lots of money thrown at it but it hasn't progressed much. If you're on an active fault it's going to happen at some point. Like I said earlier relieving the stress through multiple smaller quakes is better than a larger one. At least you don't live in/near Memphis. That city is going to be completely leveled when the New Madrid fault goes. I'd choose California over Memphis risk-wise because California at least cares to a degree.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

We have a 4 second heads up on quakes now. :) What good is 4 seconds? Well, if it says its 4 or under, no need to run for cover, higher, then Im outta here so 4 seconds is good amount of notification for me xD
Paradox wrote:

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Are you guys okay? Quakes are always terrifying.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Return to Off Topic Discussion