Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Feelings About Mt. Olympus

Feelings About Mt. Olympus

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post March 31st, 2014, 8:32 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
http://www.channel3000.com/news/man-who ... a/25201108

I'm just wondering what everyone's feelings are about this whole deal. This is one of the few cases where I want to blame the park entirely for gross stupidity and negligence. I'm not too surprised someone died there.

I've never actually been inside this park as it's always closed when I have been in the Dells (family can't tolerate nice weather. Above 70 is "too hot"). The place screams white trash overall (more so than non-Milwaukee Wisconsin usually does) and the wooden rides frequently have splintered up track you can see from the parking lot where the board layers aren't all touching each other. The place needs a major investigation, as I've always felt it makes Six Flags look nice and clean by comparison.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rollercoas ... 620814252/

That's Cyclops' super-cool not-quite connected track in better times. A better picture exists I'm totally unable to find, but oh well. I'm not mechanic but I figure the track should all be touching.

Also leave it to Wisconsin to somehow screw up a very common portable spinning mouse coaster that carnies on meth who don't have GED's can run better.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post March 31st, 2014, 11:17 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
I have a feeling this park gets sued and/or fined out of existence soon for all of the issues they are having or have had.

Post April 3rd, 2014, 8:40 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

http://www.wkow.com/story/25132689/2014 ... r-accident

"total lapbar failure"

And like I said earlier this is the only time I've ever seen no one defend a park after an accident. Way to go Wisconsin!

Post April 3rd, 2014, 11:39 am

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I believe it's their fault. They simply didn't have proper inspection procedures, or the failing lap bars would have been caught. Interesting they decided to close it; I wonder if it's a publicity statement. Like, IT BROKE. WE GET RID OF IT. PARK SAFE NOW.

I personally hope this doesn't run them into the ground, because I want to snag a ride on Hades 360 in the next few years.

Post April 3rd, 2014, 11:44 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,058.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
tiepilot35 wrote:
I believe it's their fault. They simply didn't have proper inspection procedures, or the failing lap bars would have been caught. Interesting they decided to close it; I wonder if it's a publicity statement. Like, IT BROKE. WE GET RID OF IT. PARK SAFE NOW.

I personally hope this doesn't run them into the ground, because I want to snag a ride on Hades 360 in the next few years.

RCT logic :P
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post April 3rd, 2014, 11:46 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Mt. Olympus versus nearly abandoned parks because of the park attendance thing, which one do you think is better in maintenance?
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post April 3rd, 2014, 12:18 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
^ For sure the abandoned parks do better then that place. They should build a cemetery right next to Mt Olympus to warn guests that they will die there.

Post April 3rd, 2014, 12:38 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

Merlin or one of those other groups could actually bother to manage the park. The family in charge of it now is totally incompetent. I believe the original owner has passed and it was left to dumb children.

Post April 3rd, 2014, 6:57 pm

Points on hand: 103.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
Ugh, lap bar failure is not what the industry needs right now. It's a shame the stuff gets neglected like that. If the maintenance is that bad in a park I would be frekin terrified of Hades 360. We should definitely go ride it!!!

Post April 3rd, 2014, 6:59 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,054.50 Points

No Guest = No Money
No Money = No Maintenance Budget
No Maintenance Budget = No Safety
------------------------------------------------ <- Bottom Line

But don't worry, everything is alright because the park has insurance and will provide monetary compensation to the victims. Because pushing liability on someone else instead of doing it right the first time is always right and just in 'Merica. Let's not forget how the industry is largely "self regulated", has no formal regulatory structure and features standards which are basically non-enforceable (aka "voluntary").

My favorite statistic that this industry loves to use is that amusement rides are safer then commercial air travel. The only problem is that for every person that went to an amusement park, 4 people had a nice safe trip on an airline. Per passenger moved, it's actually safer to fly then ride a roller coaster. Airlines are safer today because of strong federal regulation and oversight, as well as very through accident investigation. If you look at all the accidents that have happened in this industry to date, you will find that more the half are a result of the very same cause.

I call them ground hog day accidents. When the accident at the New Texas Giant happened I guarantee you that every decent maintenance shop in the world went and started inspecting their restraint systems. Not because they were concerned, but out of an abundance of caution and to ease those who are ultimately responsible for peoples lives. Clearly someone didn't get the memo.

Post April 3rd, 2014, 7:06 pm

Points on hand: 103.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
In Six flag's defence, the New Texas Giant incident did have a whale on board. That was uncalled for.

Post April 3rd, 2014, 7:19 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Dude Mt. Olympus is awesome, all really great rides and wonderful water parks and I cannot wait to go back. But if I'm being honest, I'm surprised it was THAT ride that killed someone. The woodies are so relentless and violent.

Post April 3rd, 2014, 9:37 pm
True Addicts
True Addicts

I'm just still struggling to understand how a very popular spinning mouse ride model that sat in a nice indoor somewhat climate-controlled environment was maintained worse than what carnie tweakers can do with the same ride outdoors in vary weather conditions after being disassembled and assembled constantly.

Update: http://www.wkow.com/story/25132689/2014 ... r-accident

4 of 12 lapbars failed in an investigation.

Post April 4th, 2014, 12:25 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Oh my god, 4 out of 12 WAT haha. It's not like this park has very many rides to look after. Do you think they're just being lazy or they're incompetent?

Post April 4th, 2014, 1:17 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Dude, their maintenance and safety standards suck. REALLY BAD. When I was there this last summer every ride looked like it was falling apart...that's because they were. Even Hades 360, the ride that was supposed to have gotten a full overhaul, was brutal and a giant POS. Glad I didn't even bother riding Opa this visit, that could have been me.

Unless they open some coaster I absolutely have to ride, I will never give this place my money ever again. It's seriously so bad. The employees don't care (plus they are so slow), the ownership doesn't care, all they see are dollar signs at the end of every day. Everything about that place sucks SO much.

Post April 4th, 2014, 11:16 am
True Addicts
True Addicts

Jake do you know where the picture taken at the bottom of Cyclops' first drop is where the track is absolutely wrecked?

Return to General Theme Park Discussions