Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area [NL2] bigjoe97's Coaster Thread [Terrain Hyper-Looper]

[NL2] bigjoe97's Coaster Thread [Terrain Hyper-Looper]

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Points on hand: 283.00 Points
Bank: 800.00 Points
Hi, I'm bigjoe97. I've been lurking around these forums for a while, but haven't really posted much. Some of you may know me from the NL-E forums, where I'm a bit more active, but I'd like to start getting input from the community of here as well - you guys have some amazing designers here. My current project is a heavily Intamin inspired Terrain Hyper-Looper. Here's the text I originally posted on NL-E to describe the project, along with a quick summary and overview of where I am right now. For more in-depth info on the project's past, visit the original thread here.

This is very heavily Intamin inspired, so feel free to critique my shaping. I've tried to take inspiration from the shaping styles of Intamin's hypers and loopers, while combining that with my own influence, a preference for a very natural, flowing layout with smooth, continuous banking changes throughout the whole ride. Most of my layouts aspire to this, with the goal being a layout that feels natural, with no elements that feel forced in or unfitting. I also try to avoid "Newtony", snap-to-value banking changes, with the goal being a continuous, nonzero roll change curve (which you can see if you download the FVD++ file).

If there is anything about my shaping that seems wrong, please tell me, and I will either work to change it or give the reasoning behind it. This is a relatively large project, with the intention being that the hill behind the station is extended upward a further 50-100 feet, to produce a total drop of 150-200 feet down the hillside. The lift hill will then extend a further 200 feet up past that, to allow an extensive, multi-part layout, designed with the assistance of the analysis techniques developed by Jeremy Thompson at Roller Coaster Philosophy. The goal is a mix of Cheetah Hunt and the Voyage, taking the Intamin influences and gentler shaping from Cheetah Hunt, to contrast with the more intense, laterals/airtime heavy parts inspired by the voyage (but still with Intamin-inspired shaping) in order to accentuate both. For those who clicked the "analysis" link, the strategy I am using here is the "Dramatic" technique, with a bit of "A-B" mixed in. What you see here is just the prelift - or to take the dramatic writing analogy further, this is the small action scene at the beginning of a mystery book or a thriller movie where the villain is introduced, usually through some sort of crime or other suspenseful scene.

The plan is for the first part of the layout after the lift to be a relatively gentle, but high-speed section of track, similar to Cheetah Hunt, with a bit of looping thrown in, but nothing particularly intense (max Gs expected to be about +4/-0.3). This will be followed by an MCBR located on an elevated section of terrain, to produce the illusion that the ride has slowed down more than it actually has, followed by a small launch into a large, floaty looping section with extremely low forces (+3.5/-0.2) but huge, slow-rotating elements, such as a 150+ foot Norwegian Loop or a 120+ foot double zero-g roll. Following this section of track will be another MCBR, and then about 20 seconds of slow, low force/low banking/low speed meandering on top of the hill, and then finally descending the hill via a small downwards launch, into a fast paced, high speed/high force dash along the river, culminating in a element that combines all three of the ride experiences in previous parts of the ride - a huge, 200+ foot immelmann-like element, taking up 10+ seconds of ride time, that begins slowly rotating after about 110 degrees of pullup (with the forces simultaneously decreasing to approximately 0) but with the roll per second continuously increasing throughout 5-7 consecutive rotations, with the final rotation pointing down at the ground at about a 50 degree angle at about 200-250 degrees per second, and then pulling out into a upwards-curving, Full-Throttle-like brake run, leaving the coaster with just enough speed to curve back up the hillside and return to the original level of the station seen here.

Currently there are no plans for 3ds, as I am not adept with any modeling programs.

Here are some pictures of the ride in a semi-current state (anything past the prelift isn't shown - download the FVD++ file for that).

I'm working in FVD++ for this project. You can download the FVD file here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/lhev81014ik8tw3/ok.fvd

Reference 1 was a first draft, built with the wrong heartline, and Reference 2 had an alternate pre-lift that I wasn't very happy with the ending for.

The Current track and Reference 3 are the two frontrunners for final version - Reference 3 was originally the semi-final version, but I felt that the pacing over the large airtime hills was a bit fast, and the air was a bit strong (I wanted a more slowly paced style, reminiscent of older woodies and their large hills with slight positive Gs at the top), as I'm planning to slowly crescendo the intensity a bit during the "out" section of this out-and-back, and that'd be difficult with the air hills already hitting -1.2 G.

Any criticism and/or comments on my shaping, the layout plan, or anything about the ride whatsoever would be highly appreciated.
6 out of every 10 Reese's Pieces are actually Reese's Fragments in disguise.

Points on hand: 15,401.90 Points
I am a fan of spaghetti bowl layouts and this is no exception.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Yea that spaghetti bowl looks amazing!
My question is, how do you plan to support it lol?

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,903.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Man that twisted metal in there is so good! Supporting it will be like supporting Joker's Jinx! I could see reflections of Goliath at Walibi World and other interesting bits of other good Intamin roller coasters. The shaping is looking good in my opinion. The sectioning you have described looks interesting. Giving different tastes of Intamin all in one. I think you're going to do very well with this ride :)
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Looks great so far. Have fun with the supports lol.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I remember seeing this the last time i was on NLE( I dont go one there often) and was very intrigued. I am very happy to join this too and sharing this those of us that stay mainly on CC
What are these for?

I updated the FVD file, extending 'Current' out to where 'Reference 3' was before I froze it and started 'Current'.

Here's the updated FVD file, and here's the NL2 file.

Here's the tentative track up to the MCBR in an FVD file.

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I personally think the ride is pretty complete without that lift hill, if it just goes up the lift to return to the station its a full jampacked ride. the extra bit is just overkill to me
What are these for?

Perhaps, but I'm trying to be a bit more ambitious with the layout and design on this one.

Return to Hard Hat Area