Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Carowinds 2015 Plans!

Carowinds 2015 Plans!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post July 10th, 2014, 9:09 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
It is pretty hard to keep a monster sized project quiet, just ask Carowinds. The park, which we've all heard will be adding a new coaster next year, has just started teasing fans about the project. The photo above was released showing off the park's "demo of epic proportions" that is underway. The clearing includes the former go-kart track along with the remains of the already-moved Skycoaster area.

Even more recently the park put up a banner on the side of the fence by the work site, with an old style map of the world and the text "The 8th Wonder of the World?" I'm not sure why that is a question, but I'd be happy to allow the park to answer it for me! Something would have to be pretty big to qualify for that title, and with this new ride said to exceed 300 feet it just might.

Now for the really juicy stuff - Screamscape has posted photos of the ride's layout, taken from construction blueprints. You can click through to see them, but the short description is Leviathan 2.0 if you get my drift. We will leave it at that for now, as I'm sure there will be plenty of additional coverage of this gigantic ride in the near future.
Source

Post July 21st, 2014, 4:21 pm

Points on hand: 431.00 Points
Bank: 2,954.10 Points
From topographic plans submitted to the county:
A big drop is a good drop.

Post July 21st, 2014, 4:36 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,111.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
I wish they'd put a little more effort into making the layout look right (what was going on with that hammerhead?!) rather than just being the "first person" to get some shitty layout out.

Looks good though, inventive for a B&M certainly.

Also I spy Magu's flatrides :P Shame they didn't give credit :(
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post July 21st, 2014, 5:07 pm

Magu didn't make it, Projektion did. I gave him credit.

Post July 21st, 2014, 5:14 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
^^ I don't think the actual ride will be anything close to what that video shows. No offense to you gforce but you dont really have the skill set to make an accurate recreation, much less one of a rife that we only know the general plans for. I'll wait until an official announcement to form an opinion
What are these for?

Post July 21st, 2014, 5:52 pm

Points on hand: 680.00 Points
Bank: 1,513.00 Points
Are you sure its going to be a B&M coaster? Also a giga Intamin sounds much more exciting than a giga B&M.

Post July 21st, 2014, 6:10 pm

Points on hand: 6,337.00 Points
There is plenty of evidence...the most telling being that over the past 6 years Cedar Fair have bought 7 B&Ms, and only one Intamin - and the Intamin was quite troublesome, as many of their earlier Intamins have also been. The Shoot-the-rapid death was probably the absolute final straw.

Post July 21st, 2014, 7:04 pm

^
But Intimidator 305 made a very big deal, sure it was trouble at first, but it made a bigger deal than anything else in recent years.
They already have intimidator, why another B&M airtime machine? You would think if they would add a 300+ foot coaster, it would be a Initmin type, (MAVRICK, I305) more turns and high g forces, than hill after hill.
Also the plans suggest more turns than normal.

But then again, Canada's Wonderland has 2 B&M's.

Post July 21st, 2014, 7:46 pm

And B&M's never break down as frequently as Intamins do.

Post July 21st, 2014, 7:53 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
No one died on Shoot The Rapids, but that incident was a colossal screw up.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post July 21st, 2014, 9:45 pm

Points on hand: 35.00 Points
Bank: 4,336.00 Points

Post July 21st, 2014, 9:52 pm

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
There is very little doubt that this is a B&M project given Cedar Fair's recent history. Leviathan has probably the best first drop in the world and a really strong first half, even though Millennium paces better in its second half I still prefer Levi for the more open trains and ridiculous apex. The comparison is hard not to make because it's obvious B&M emulated Millennium with Leviathan. I'm quite excited to see if this second B&M giga ups the game.

Post July 22nd, 2014, 12:12 am

What makes LEVI's first drop the best in the world? No doubt its awesome, just asking for your opinion.
I would prefer to see a giga Intamin, I305 has that cool double spine and lift support. Giga supports aren't so creative.

Post July 22nd, 2014, 1:30 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Even after all the coasters I have ridden, I still think MF is the best drop in the world. There is nothing like being in the back row and getting pulled over the drop. I think that has to do with how large the trains are on the ride.

Post July 22nd, 2014, 2:09 am

^
That's because the speed of the lift, how long the train's are, and how steep the drop is. It's awesome, been on it myself, plus right next to water! Forget about it, one of the best in the world.
But until a coaster's drop is significantly taller, we can't say for sure which coaster has a better drop.
Plus I think Intamin's coaster track looks much nicer than B&M track.

Post July 22nd, 2014, 2:22 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

^ I agree, I love the look of Intamin's track.
I also agree that we won't really know the difference until a coaster with a significantly longer drop is built. I am thinking we will be able to tell the difference when a coaster that is 350 feet tall gets built.

Post July 22nd, 2014, 2:35 am

^
Actually I was thinking of the 400ft mark, strata!
We know it's possible to support the ride, it's just would be very expensive, we need a park with big bucks, and a lot to prove. SFMM, and Cedar Point come to mind!
But I doubt that will happend anytime soon, 300+foot coasters are starting a trend. finally! So not for awhile.

Post July 22nd, 2014, 3:19 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,111.00 Points
gforce1994 wrote:
Magu didn't make it, Projektion did. I gave him credit.

my mistake ;)
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post July 22nd, 2014, 1:21 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Helo9797 wrote:
^
Actually I was thinking of the 400ft mark, strata!
We know it's possible to support the ride, it's just would be very expensive, we need a park with big bucks, and a lot to prove. SFMM, and Cedar Point come to mind!
But I doubt that will happend anytime soon, 300+foot coasters are starting a trend. finally! So not for awhile.

Yea, I really hope SFGADv builds a giga coaster, it will really complete their great line up of coasters. They would be just like Cedar Point, with a 200, 300, and 400 foot coaster.

Post July 22nd, 2014, 2:41 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points

^I agree, but it's not really likely given how many times they went to B&M in the last couple of years, plus the last steel intamin they bought, although it created a lot of positive hype for the park, was extremely unreliable and broke down almost every day. Also Six Flags in general has never bought a giga. If they do though, it will probably be a B&M.

Also, better recreation: They even got the 3dvip sounds :P

EDIT: Actually to be honest I'm a little worried for intamin. Not sure if this is just slow business in the last few years, or this is the beginning of the end for them in the U.S. at least. I mean, sure they knocked it out of the park with Millennium Force, but their newer rides have been extremely troublesome- Maverick got the heartline roll removed, Intimidator 305 became Intrimidator 305, and Skyrush became Thigh-Crush :D . Basically until Intamin get's their act together and start making more reliable rides, we wont be seeing them as much.
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post July 22nd, 2014, 5:02 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

^ I'm gonna be honest about I305, I agree, you blacked out basically on that first turn, and I got to ride the original pre trim version so I remember quite clearly what it was like. And even now after the modification, it barely did anything, I still black out on the first turn, maybe not as much, but the point is that I cannot see at all until after the train is over the 2nd hill. Intrimidator 305 only happened because some people in Virginia in my opinion were not ready with such an extreme ride. I can see because there are no rides remotely close to it in size and speed in the state why people were complaining but perhaps they just should have ridden it, and if they couldn't handle the black out, then don't ride it again. x end sort of mini rant thing x

Post July 22nd, 2014, 7:57 pm

^
Have you been on Goliath at SFMM, or Titan at SFOT? People also are known to black out in the helix. I think its awesome, maybe because i've never blacked out on a coaster before.

Doesn't having a coaster were people black out awesome?!

Post July 22nd, 2014, 8:44 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Intamin needs to not do stupid shet like redesign the log flume into an overcomplicated beast that rolls back down the damn lift hill and almost drowns a boat full of people.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post July 23rd, 2014, 7:23 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Helo9797 wrote:
^
Have you been on Goliath at SFMM, or Titan at SFOT? People also are known to black out in the helix. I think its awesome, maybe because i've never blacked out on a coaster before.

Doesn't having a coaster were people black out awesome?!

Yes I've been on Goliath at SFMM just recently back in november. I definitely remember starting to grey out in the helix but I305 still is much more powerful that that. I wonder what it would have been like in terms of blacking out when the ride originally opened and the MCBR wasn't quite so harsh.

Post July 23rd, 2014, 12:19 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points

I recall reading somewhere that I-305 before trims pulled almost 6 g's on that first turn, but I could be completely wrong. And I also heard Skyrush's first airtime hill pulled -2 g's. That's what Intamin likes to do and that was successful in the short run, but now it's hurting them. B&M doesn't push the envelope too much and sticks to what is successful, and build safe reliable rides that make the GP want to ride again and don't;
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
roll back down the damn lift hill and almost drown a boat full of people.

What I'm basically saying is B&M designs rides that appeal more to the GP, and Intamin desigins rides that appeal to us Coaster Enthusiasts.
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!