Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Should Disko's Be Counted As Coasters?

Should Disko's Be Counted As Coasters?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Should Disko's be counted as coasters?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes : 29

Post August 4th, 2014, 12:27 am
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,511.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

We've all seen them and we've all wondered the same thing? Are Zamperla Disko's considered roller coasters?

ImageImage

For those of you who do not know what these are:
zamperla.com wrote:
Rocking and rolling onto a midway near you, the Disk??????O from Zamperla combines a breathtaking dual rocking/spinning motion with a new, patent pending seating style. The Disk??????O seat is unlike anything in the industry, as it positions riders on a motorcycle-like pedestal seat facing outward. This new style seat will maximize the visual impact for the 24 riders as they experience the rush of the Disk??????O. Available in both park and trailer models, Disk??????O is the ideal addition to any park or carnival??????s thrill ride roster.

We should see no reason not to consider these small park thrillers as roller coasters. It is clear that they run on wheels, it is clear that they are powered by gravity in some form after being powered a bit to get it up to speed, but why should that matter? Are Shuttle Loops not roller coasters simply because they are small and do not complete a full circuit? No, they roll and they coast, they are powered by some gravity and they are bought by amusement parks so their guests may have a fun time.

I for one have always considered them roller coasters, however I would love to know what everyone else thinks! Vote and discuss your opinions! :)
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post August 4th, 2014, 1:59 am

Points on hand: 2,485.00 Points
Nah, definitely not a roller coaster for 3 reason's.

1. They consist of a very small track, With 1 basic camel hump and 2 curved ends, no banking, and no actual thrill besides the spin itself.
2. It's a controlled ride, All speed is controlled and there is no freedom in which the ride operates itself. (meaning as in real coasters rely on gravity while this relies on motors and mechanics)
3. It's just a flat ride, there's no roller coaster function with it.

Just because it has a track doesn't make it a roller coaster, that's like calling a train or a subway a roller coaster because it run's on a track.

Post August 4th, 2014, 2:31 am
craigster001 User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 351.50 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
mrcrolly wrote:
Nah, definitely not a roller coaster for 3 reason's.

1. They consist of a very small track, With 1 basic camel hump and 2 curved ends, no banking, and no actual thrill besides the spin itself.
2. It's a controlled ride, All speed is controlled and there is no freedom in which the ride operates itself. (meaning as in real coasters rely on gravity while this relies on motors and mechanics)
3. It's just a flat ride, there's no roller coaster function with it.

Just because it has a track doesn't make it a roller coaster, that's like calling a train or a subway a roller coaster because it run's on a track.

1. Shuttle Loops have a loop and a hill, no banking, and no actual thrill besides the loop itself, or the incline at the end, which may I say is also quite fun on a disko.

2. It's a controlled ride. All speed is controlled and therefore powered coasters like Flying Fish at thorpe aren't actually coasters.
Nope.

3. Except, you know, for a car that moves along a track at speed moving through elements?

Just because it's not Bizzaro, or Leviathan, or TTD, or Maverick, or Blue Fire, or Boulder Dash, or Nemesis, or Green Lantern, or Diving Coaster Vanish doesn't mean it's not a coaster.

Post August 4th, 2014, 6:22 am

Points on hand: 3,436.00 Points
Bank: 1,275.00 Points
mrcrolly wrote:

Superman-Escape from krypton is just launched up then falls back down, almost a launched drop tower, but that is still a coaster.
I think that they count as coasters. They run along a track to provide thrills and g-forces. They are just in the small, controlled, shuttle category.

Post August 4th, 2014, 6:45 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Disko should be UFO launched coaster with inversions someday! Riders would find themselves upside down on a rotating saucer, it could be a unique sensation! :D
Last edited by lol240 on August 8th, 2014, 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post August 4th, 2014, 1:17 pm
Turbo User avatar

I view Disko's as mini Half Pipes

And having been on a few I'd easily say gravity has a part in their operation lol
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post August 4th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Points on hand: 1,115.00 Points
I generally don't consider powered coasters coasters if they are powered for 100% of the track distance, as a Disko is. Where do you draw the line there? Are power dark rides coasters? How about stuff like larger Haunted Mansions that have slopes in the track? What about stuff like Larson Ring of Fires?

The key distinction for me is wether the power is onboard or remote. If the power is remote (e.g. LIMs, flywheel launch, etc) AND the ride has at least one element that is totally gravity driven, with neither braking nor power assist, then it's a coaster. If the motor is mounted onboard and powering over the entire circuit = not a coaster.

The Intamin Half-pipes, for instance, are only powered through the bottom 45 degrees of the curve....the towers are true freefall.

Post August 4th, 2014, 1:34 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,111.00 Points
Tyler wrote:
The key distinction for me is wether the power is onboard or remote. If the power is remote (e.g. LIMs, flywheel launch, etc) AND the ride has at least one element that is totally gravity driven, with neither braking nor power assist, then it's a coaster. If the motor is mounted onboard and powering over the entire circuit = not a coaster.

This I feel makes most sense to me. Essentially the coasting part of rollercoaster.

But then... that makes this a rollercoaster!

as it's friction wheel powered!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post August 4th, 2014, 1:46 pm

Points on hand: 1,115.00 Points

Post August 4th, 2014, 1:51 pm
Turbo User avatar

After having ridden a few I can absolutely say there is gravity power in there. The propulsion comes from the bottom of each valley and the spin is controlled the entire way through. However if the spin being controlled declassifies it as a roller coaster then wouldn't that make S&S and Arrow 4D coasters all flat rides?

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

Post August 4th, 2014, 2:07 pm
mkingy User avatar

Tyler wrote:
Nope. Note brakefins lining entire track length.

Not brake fins - they're to power the spin!

Turbo wrote:
After having ridden a few I can absolutely say there is gravity power in there. The propulsion comes from the bottom of each valley and the spin is controlled the entire way through. However if the spin being controlled declassifies it as a roller coaster then wouldn't that make S&S and Arrow 4D coasters all flat rides?

But 4D coasters don't use power to determine the spin!
Coaster Count - 198

Post August 4th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Points on hand: 680.00 Points
Bank: 1,513.00 Points
The true problem with calling this a coaster is then having to call many other rides, coasters. Your opening Pandora's Box.
This is a flat ride, calling a coaster is insulting to all other coasters. lol

Post August 11th, 2014, 12:29 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
It's tough, I cast yes, cause there are parts where gravity takes over, so that was enough for me.

Post August 11th, 2014, 12:41 am

Points on hand: 2,485.00 Points
I say no, a proper rollercoaster should consist of the following:
-a speed that can change and vary depending on gravity,
-A powered roller coaster IMO could only be considered a rollercoaster if it has a full circuit with some hills and turns.
-A chain lift or a launch.

This may be different for others, as we all have a different opinion from one another, but this is my basic list.

Post August 11th, 2014, 12:48 am

Points on hand: 680.00 Points
Bank: 1,513.00 Points
After thinking this over and over, I finally decided what I consider a coaster. Does it FEEL like a coaster? After all you go on a coaster to feel forces, speed, change. When I go on a disco, I don't feel like I've been on a coaster, I don't feel like the ride has let me go and let the laws nature and track do the rest.
Idk, I just look at discos and still say NO.

Post August 11th, 2014, 1:33 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Guess it's really just based on opinion :P and CP decided it was a coaster :P

Post August 11th, 2014, 3:42 am
mkingy User avatar

Yeah for marketing purposes... bet if there was a rollercoaster tax they'd argue its a flat ride :P
Coaster Count - 198

Post August 11th, 2014, 8:20 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

mkingy wrote:
Yeah for marketing purposes... bet if there was a rollercoaster tax they'd argue its a flat ride :P

:lol: I bet!

Post August 11th, 2014, 1:20 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
No. They're shet carnival rides.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post August 11th, 2014, 4:09 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Nope, it's too safe, a carnival ride is something only cool5 can think up.

Post August 12th, 2014, 12:44 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ Hahaha, funny line! His imagination is great, though! ;)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post August 12th, 2014, 6:56 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post August 12th, 2014, 9:51 am
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Are we arguing for the diskos with the hump in the middle, the one without it or both.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post August 12th, 2014, 5:32 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post January 19th, 2015, 9:38 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Even though I don't count rides like Disk'O coasters in my coaster count, I really don't care whether or not the park markets them as coasters because from a marketing perspective, calling it a coaster will probably bring more people in. Even though there are plenty of GPs that will realize it's not actually a coaster, there are plenty of gullible ones that will fall for it.

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions