Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Whats the roughest steel coaster you've been on?

Whats the roughest steel coaster you've been on?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Points on hand: 58.00 Points
mine is Jubilee Odyssey at Fantasy Island, Ingoldmells, England. it's only 1 year old and it is hurrendously rough. the cars on the trains wobble separate to the train its self, making you bang your ears constantly. ouch!!! and the noise of the chain on the lift hill is so loud it hurts your ears. But what can you expect, it's a suspended looping coaster made by vekoma.

here is a link.
http://www.coasterforce.com/parkguides/ ... ssey.shtml

Post September 1st, 2003, 8:20 am

Points on hand: 3,979.00 Points

Post September 1st, 2003, 8:55 am

Points on hand: 4,347.00 Points

mines so rackety, its kinda like a woody, lol. Well mine is the legendary Lockness Monster.
Dirk, I've riden Super Wirbel and its nothing compared to Lockness[:D]

Post September 1st, 2003, 9:28 am

Points on hand: 4,126.00 Points

Originally posted by Xtream15

http://www.rcdb.com/installationdetail95.htm

Ouch! Scorpion is the roughest to me so far.That loop really sucks also.

Nah, Scorpions not that bad but Python sure is.

>---rcf2000, RCT Guy[pshades]

Post September 1st, 2003, 9:34 am

Post September 1st, 2003, 10:15 am

Points on hand: 3,039.00 Points
AAAAAAAAAAAH

It really is rough as hell, it's totally horrible. It seems the have that much room on the track it has alot less fritction and became a bit faster overtime. I think it's pulling more G's than before. Next to that it shakes more than Robin Hood (woodie) does.

Post September 1st, 2003, 10:30 am
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 3,347.00 Points
Thunderbolt at Celebration City is the roughest steel coaster I've been on, but it's also one of my favorites. This ride is so out of control that I can overlook the roughness. Thank God it doesn't have OTSR! [:D]

Post September 1st, 2003, 10:44 am

Points on hand: 3,604.00 Points

it seems vekoma and arrow just cant get their coasters as smooth as b&m's, tsk tsk tsk, what a shame
http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery40.htm?Picture=1

eviiiiiilll ninja

Post September 1st, 2003, 10:51 am
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by rctycoon112

it seems vekoma and arrow just cant get their coasters as smooth as b&m's, tsk tsk tsk, what a shame

Actually, I've heard that Dollywood's Tennessee Tornado is very smooth. It seems to be only Arrow's older coasters that are rough. I can't say the same for Vekoma though.

Post September 1st, 2003, 10:54 am

Post September 1st, 2003, 11:37 am

ok, dont you do this {img} then the url {/img}? (but with the [] brackets)

Post September 1st, 2003, 11:39 am
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

The reason why it's not showing up is because you used the URL for the page where the pic is at instead of the URL of the pic itself.

Post September 1st, 2003, 11:48 am

Originally posted by Kev

The reason why it's not showing up is because you used the URL for the page where the pic is at instead of the URL of the pic itself.

fixed that, didn't place the image because it is damn big.

Anyway in general B&M and Intamin tracks seem to be alot smoother than Vekoma and Arrow tracks. Goliath at Six Flags Holland is smooth as can be imo. While most vekoma rides in SFH are pretty rough because the trains can move more from side to side on the track. Maybe because they are a bit older there is free space between the wheels and track. Next to that the track itself also isn't all that smooth which results in a pretty bumpy ride.

Post September 1st, 2003, 12:01 pm

Points on hand: 5,120.00 Points

Post September 1st, 2003, 12:34 pm

thanks g force addict, and would bigger wheels reduce the side to side movement?

Post September 1st, 2003, 1:47 pm

probably cuz if they were bigger then they would fill up the gap that makes the ride bumpier.

Post September 1st, 2003, 2:25 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Has anyone else been on "Drachen Fire" at BGW? That ride gave me a headache for a week! And BGW shut it down due to the roughness... I didn't scream in terror, I screamed in pain!

Post September 1st, 2003, 2:42 pm

yeah, it was suppose to be a b&m coaster but they abandoned it, so arrow took it up and didnt do the modifications for the arrow track and trains, so yeah

Post September 1st, 2003, 3:01 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

jubilee Odyssey isnt the smoothest ride in the world, but i think that first drop makes up for, it totaly took my breath away the first time, imo the millenium coaster was pretty rough also, so was corkscrew at alton towers and so was traumatizer (SLC) at pleasureland and so was the shockwave at drayton manor. Im just glad the big one at blackpool doesnt have OTSR's, id dread to think how painful that would be.

Post September 1st, 2003, 4:02 pm

Points on hand: 58.00 Points
millenium coaster is very smooth compared to jubilee odyssey. im never going to fantasy island again, what a dump. corkscrew at alton towers isn't that rough, i didn't bang my ears or anything on the OTSR's. now shockwave at drayton manor is rough, a few ear bashing moments on that. i dont believe steel rollercoasters should be rough, only wooden rollercoasters.

Post September 1st, 2003, 4:54 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

The roughest I've been on is Magnum XL-200 at Cedar Point.

Post September 2nd, 2003, 1:55 am

Originally posted by INS4N3_thefirst

probably cuz if they were bigger then they would fill up the gap that makes the ride bumpier.

I think the wheels were bigger when the rides were new. But they've just worn of over time. Which creates a gap between the wheels and the track. I'm not sure about that though. The park should just replace those wheels each season is that is what causes it.

Post September 2nd, 2003, 4:19 pm

Points on hand: 1,968.00 Points

just about every vekoma was rough, the viper at sfmm is pretty darn rough. I really don't mind the rough ride though (part of the rush on older rides b/f technology is where it is at now)

Post September 3rd, 2003, 4:27 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

im never going to fantasy island again, what a dump

I cannot agree with you more there. WTF is up with all the market stalls everywhere. If you havnt been before ots basicly adn theme park built on top of a market, the market just overflowed onto the streets, you literaly had to search for the entrance to a ride. Plus most the people there where in there tracksuits spitting all over the place and generaly just assholes... but still both the coasters there are pretty rough.

Also the headbanging effect also has something to do with where your head is positioned, if you place your head firmly against the head rest then you shouldnt get as much ..head banging

Post September 5th, 2003, 3:46 pm

Points on hand: 2,983.00 Points
Mine has to be Klondike Oldmine at Drayton Manor Park, Birmingham, England, I think i almost broke my arm on it

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions