Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Whats the roughest steel coaster you've been on?

Whats the roughest steel coaster you've been on?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post September 5th, 2003, 5:25 pm

Points on hand: 4,347.00 Points

Originally posted by goingevenloopier

Mine has to be Klondike Oldmine at Drayton Manor Park, Birmingham, England, I think i almost broke my arm on it

[:O][:O][lol]

Post September 5th, 2003, 6:01 pm

Points on hand: 58.00 Points
goingevenloopier >>> i went on the klondike old mine rollercoaster today at drayton manor (friday 5th september) and i love it although it is rough. i love the first drop right at the back, the negative g-force must be -2.

Post September 6th, 2003, 4:15 am

Points on hand: 3,008.00 Points
I think it would make a BIG difference if the wheels ran on the outside, like B&M. The cars wouldn't be able to rotate as much.

Post September 6th, 2003, 1:23 pm

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

magnum xl200, the roughest?!!That ride is nowhere near as rough as SLC's or arrow looping coasters. Mine's Viper at SFMM. It's extremely rough, but it's still a good ride.

Post September 6th, 2003, 2:22 pm
dhh User avatar

Points on hand: 68.00 Points
I would probably have to agree with IntaminFan re MagnumXL200. I had the "priviledge" of getting to ride it back in 98 after much hype from many friends. I have to be honest, I was not expecting something steel to be that rough. If I wanted the feel of a wooden coaster, I could have stayed back in Texas and ridden the Texas Giant.

As to the Vekoma SLC's, I got to ride Serial Thriller in Astroworld, and after hearing all the negative comments regarding them, I was very pleasantly surprised and impressed.

for what it's worth...
dhh

Post September 6th, 2003, 10:10 pm

It's not rough for a steel, just rough compared to modern rides. Keep in mind that it was the first 200 foot-tall ride, built before all the B&M's and such.[:D]

Post September 7th, 2003, 3:18 am

Points on hand: 1,968.00 Points

Hey DHH I agree I find serial thriller at astroworld to be a great ride (not much else to offer there lol)

Post September 7th, 2003, 4:46 am

Points on hand: 3,638.00 Points
Superman the Ride in six flags holland is very rough coaster, 2 years ago it was pretty smooth and fun to ride, now it isnt anymore

Post September 7th, 2003, 5:21 am

Points on hand: 58.00 Points
Originally posted by e-man

Keep in mind that it was the first 200 foot-tall ride, built before all the B&M's and such.[:D]

magnum xl200 wasn't the first coaster to break 200 feet by the way. there was a coaster built in the 80's the monsult scramble or something like that, and it had a very rare inversion, the pretzel loop. it doesn't exist anymore.

Post September 7th, 2003, 1:57 pm

Points on hand: 2,092.00 Points
Bank: 10.00 Points

Corkscrew at Alton Towers has got to be the roughest coaster I've ever been on.
It should be sponsered by "Paracetemol Plus"!!

Post September 8th, 2003, 8:46 pm

Moonsault scramble did go over 200 feet, but it was not a full circuit ride and only the back car reached 200, so it's not really considered to have broken the 200 foot barrier.

Post September 8th, 2003, 9:05 pm

Points on hand: 2,367.00 Points
OK Corkscrew at Silverwood in Idaho is deffinetely the roughest! It seems to be going a little to fast. It's like the only ride that accually wish that it would have some trims added to it!

Post September 9th, 2003, 4:58 pm

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

Post September 16th, 2003, 11:35 am

Points on hand: 4,515.00 Points
even though SLC'S are rough i think they are a great ride, they are compact and when your goin into the double barrel roll it always feels like your goin to hit the track underneath it. that is the best part about those rides.
Lpth5

Post September 16th, 2003, 3:18 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

SLCs are very intense and pull some high gs on the roll over which are very exciting, the barrel rolls make you feel like your going so fast also, if SLCs were WAY smoother, they would probably be one of the best, if not best steel coaster ever.

Post September 16th, 2003, 9:14 pm

does anyone have pictures of Moonsault scramble or can tell me exactly what it did, like who made it and how the support structure was??

Post September 16th, 2003, 9:30 pm

Points on hand: 4,347.00 Points

Post September 16th, 2003, 9:46 pm

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

even though SLC'S are rough i think they are a great ride, they are compact and when your goin into the double barrel roll it always feels like your goin to hit the track underneath it. that is the best part about those rides.
Lpth5

Good point! I remember on the first barrell roll, my foot looked like it was gonna get chopped off...but the first inversion jerks me around so much, giving a sore body

Post September 17th, 2003, 5:05 pm

Post September 17th, 2003, 5:23 pm

Points on hand: 1,968.00 Points

I did a google search on it the other day, basically from the pics I found it is just like flashback

Post September 17th, 2003, 5:45 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Post September 17th, 2003, 6:43 pm

Points on hand: 2,167.00 Points
Hehehe. I have some pictures in my math book...

I think my roughest steely is the Vortex at Paramount Canada's Wonderland. Or the Corkscrew at Cedar Point. Both of those give me HUGE migranes and make my ears half fall off, and make me want to just crawl into a ditch and die...

Post October 12th, 2003, 5:54 pm

Points on hand: 2,552.00 Points

Mine is "indiana Jones et le temple du p?????????ril, ????????? l'envers", which is, in english : "Indiana Jones and the temple of peril : backwards" but this coaster is in France so...

You ride backwards, so you can't prevent when it's gonna turn and it results in a big headache, because your head shakes, hits and bangs right-left, right-left, right-left in every curve. [B)]

Here are a few samples :

Yes, these trains are going backwards :

What you see at the top of the lift :

You think these people are going forwards ?

If you go to Disneyland Resort Paris , make sure to ride this coaster at the end of the day, just before going back to the hotel... [^]

Post July 5th, 2004, 6:13 pm

Points on hand: 2,438.00 Points
well im sure everyone knows that gemini really is a steel and in the past year or so it has i gotten extremly rough especially hard on your lower back i go about 15 times a season and it isnt getting any better not that it would.

Post July 15th, 2004, 9:31 am

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
gemini got rough? i thought it got smoother actually lol. the roughest steel ride i've been on is flashback at sfne.. basically a vekoma corkscrew (very painful). but the roughest steel ride that i had a great time on was phantom's revenge.

PreviousNext

Return to General Theme Park Discussions