Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Intamin Hyper/Giga Coasters

Intamin Hyper/Giga Coasters

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post October 8th, 2003, 4:42 pm

Points on hand: 4,190.00 Points

Um....I dunno exactly what the NoLimits view on this is, but in my experience, the Intamin Giga/Hyper Coaster is not made to do inversions. I noticed that a couple of the tracks here have Giga coasters doing stuff like inline twists and vertical loops. There was even one that did a top hat. I don't know if I'm just a Giga-purist, but I don't think that they should be doing inversions.....

**Staff Edit - Moved to real coasters forum
Last edited by Edge on October 9th, 2003, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post October 8th, 2003, 4:44 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,893.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

well, from a realistic stand point you are correct, but nolimits does not offer the realistic intamin with otsr's that can handle inversions so we improvise, hence NoLimits not living up to the games name [lol]. Sucks to be limited to what they give you so improvise.
WWS

Post October 8th, 2003, 7:14 pm

Inversions would be better suited to the Intamin 4-seater style hyper coaster. It's more of a twister than a Giga, so It can handle the inversions better. With a two-seater, the tiered seats just don't do so well....

Post October 8th, 2003, 7:24 pm

Points on hand: 3,215.00 Points
Actually, if you want to see an Intamin Hyper (type) of coaster coming in with inversions, look at the new ride coming to Hersheypark. Not only does it have inversions, but it also has a hydrolic launch, a top hat, and 5 inversions (if my memory serves me). So Intamin Inverters aren't as far fetched as you think!

(And what 4-Seat Intamin hyper? The only 4 seat hyper I see is a BnM)

Post October 8th, 2003, 11:11 pm

NL's other hyper track is (I believe - I need to check) also of the Intamin design.....just a four seater without tiered seats. I still think the Intamin track wasn't designed for inversions - Millenium Force basically set the standard for all Intamin-style tracks & They could have easily done inversions with it. The Intamin Giga is for Fast, smooth, and non-inverted track. I've never seen an Intamin Hyper, so I don't really know what they're supposed to do, but I would say their limit would be stuff like Top Hats and maybe Freedom Rolls.[:p]

Post October 8th, 2003, 11:55 pm

Points on hand: 4,606.00 Points
the only 4 seaters that intamin ever made where sitdowns (like flashback) and standups. To my knowlege no intamin 4 seat hypers where ever made.

Post October 8th, 2003, 11:56 pm

Points on hand: 4,606.00 Points
4 across that is, intamin makes cars with 2 by 2 seating of course

Post October 9th, 2003, 12:37 am

Points on hand: 4,164.00 Points
Originally posted by tarzanman11514

NL's other hyper track is (I believe - I need to check) also of the Intamin design.....just a four seater without tiered seats. I still think the Intamin track wasn't designed for inversions - Millenium Force basically set the standard for all Intamin-style tracks & They could have easily done inversions with it. The Intamin Giga is for Fast, smooth, and non-inverted track. I've never seen an Intamin Hyper, so I don't really know what they're supposed to do, but I would say their limit would be stuff like Top Hats and maybe Freedom Rolls.[:p]

Erm, no. There is no technical reason at all why Intamin track couldn't handle inversions. No reason why it couldn't do it with the hyper train. Hell, the Intamin track is basically the box frame Schwarzkopf came up with the in the '70's.

Post October 9th, 2003, 8:17 am

while it is true the track could easily be used for inversions, it would require extensive design to accomodate the different G forces in the upper seats. I might be misremembering, but I think that the entire train is tiered, with the last two seats being higher than next two and so on. Another problem is that the Intamin Giga is mainly about fast smooth track and the inversions would have to be huge with no room for some of the tighter stuff like corkscrews and boomerangs. (Half corkscrew, half loop, half loop, half corkscrew) However, the Intamin Giga is perfectly suited for stuff like vertical twists and in line twists that are on a hill. (for referance about those, download Wail or Tip of The Hat, I can't remember which)

Post October 9th, 2003, 10:20 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Actually, there is no technical problem with iversions on an intamin hyper or giga coaster. The reason it is not done is primarily to keep the track from needing horsecollar restraints. More inversions means more safety issues must be taken. I' personally, would rather ride a cvoaster with a lot of airtime and open-aired cars rather than be fastened to the seat. Intamin knows that most guests prefer lap bars over horsecollars, so they make their hypercoasters non-looping. However, I could see them making just a vertical loop on one, seeing as just a loop does not require restraints like that. I wouldn't mind inversions, but I'd rather have hills and airtime.

Post October 9th, 2003, 11:47 am

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

The seats dont get higher and higher as they go back, just each car seating is teired. Ack check pic below

And also there is no problem with putting an inversion on an Intamin Giga Coaster (btw Millenium Force is the only giga coaster in the world, the others are reffered to as mega coaster) Its like saying you cant put loops on wooden coasters, so PKI proved everyone wrong with Son Of Beast

Post October 9th, 2003, 3:54 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Intamin's wouldn't need horsecollar restraints to do inversions. They could do inversions without needing a new restraint at all. Batman and Robin: The Chiller @ SFGAdv has just lapbars and it can do a cobra roll and a tophat without horsecollars.
(BTW, this is probably a stupid question, but are horsecollar restraints the same as OSRs?)

Post October 9th, 2003, 6:02 pm

yep....Although there is sometimes some variation, on the shockwave at drayton manor, the restaints come down in 2 parts, its hard to explain... but yeah there all the same

Post October 9th, 2003, 6:04 pm

http://www.coasterforce.com/information ... ints.shtml

basicly the difference between OSR's and horsecollar restraints is that the horsecollar doesnt pin your legs in position thus giving you more room to move around

Post October 9th, 2003, 7:27 pm

Points on hand: 3,980.00 Points

I thought ttd was a giga coaster too, because it's over the 300ft mark?

Post October 9th, 2003, 7:30 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,893.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Post October 9th, 2003, 7:34 pm

Points on hand: 3,980.00 Points

Post October 9th, 2003, 7:49 pm

Steel Dragon 2000 is a giga, the reason TTD isn't a giga is because gigas can only be from 300ft.-399ft. in height. Stratas are from 400ft.-499ft., and Teracoasters (i think) are from 500ft.-599ft. [;)]

Post October 9th, 2003, 8:12 pm

I am inclined to agree with cjd that the open cars with air time and lap bars is much better than horsecollar restraints. Thanks to The Edge for the pic of a giga train. I think I'm going to revise my original opinion of no inversions to limited inversions stopping at anything more complex than a Freedom Roll - this would include turns banked at more than 90 degrees, Top Hats, possibly slow Zero-G Rolls, and Hill Barrel Rolls (HBR's). Loops, corkscrews, and cobra rolls are better suited to twisters and corkscrew coasters.

Post October 9th, 2003, 9:58 pm

Originally posted by tarzanman11514

I am inclined to agree with cjd that the open cars with air time and lap bars is much better than horsecollar restraints. Thanks to The Edge for the pic of a giga train. I think I'm going to revise my original opinion of no inversions to limited inversions stopping at anything more complex than a Freedom Roll - this would include turns banked at more than 90 degrees, Top Hats, possibly slow Zero-G Rolls, and Hill Barrel Rolls (HBR's). Loops, corkscrews, and cobra rolls are better suited to twisters and corkscrew coasters.

there are turns banked more than 90 degrees on a lot of Intamins. There are also tophats on intamins, loops would be possible, and so would a cobra roll.

Post October 9th, 2003, 10:07 pm

The Triangle and boxed shaped track definately isn't a problem... Colossus at Thorpe Park has a Cobra Roll with triangle track: http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery ... ?Picture=5

And even though it has horsecollars, it's mostly for insurance reasons. It has inversions, ots restraints just look safer. The cars would be perfectly safe, if not safer with the Intamin "Absolutley NO WAY OUT" lap bars.

And I'm sure the slight tier wouldn't make that much of a g-force difference.

Post October 10th, 2003, 2:38 pm

and Teracoasters (i think) are from 500ft.-599ft

500-599ft coaster's are called peta coasters

Post October 10th, 2003, 5:06 pm

http://www.coasterforce.com/information/inversion.shtml

- Link to a site with pictures of almost every kind of inversion. Note that none of them are the Intamin Latticed track except for Collusus, and that one isn't completely a lattice form.

http://www.coasterforce.com/information ... info.shtml

- Link to an information page about Intamin AG. Also note that their Latticed tracks are not found on coasters with inversions. Intamin AG does in fact make coasters with inversions, but they are not of the Giga, Mega, or Strata type. (I don't think there are any Peta coasters as TTD is the tallest & it's only Strata)

Post October 10th, 2003, 5:25 pm

Intamin dosn't only make Hyper, Giga, and Strata coasters... they also make looping roller coasters, which yes, use the lattice track. (Not the 4-tube lattice, but the 3-tube)

Here are 2 roller coasters (That aren't colossus) that use Intamin box track:
http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery ... Picture=14
http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery ... ?Picture=6

And just to further prove that the box track is capable of inversions, here's a suspended Inamin with... inversions!

http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery ... Picture=13 (And that one even uses 4 tube box track on the loops)

Post October 10th, 2003, 10:24 pm

For bud7 - I looked at those pics and if you notice, the one is an inverted coaster, thus making it not giga or hyper, and the other two are not entirely box track, also removing them from the "real" giga list. Also, the Intamin page I was at showed that there were at least two types of intamin track able to do inversions. However, I have yet to see a box-lattice (entirely) coaster that does inversions.

For all - I have actually e-mailed Intamin AG about their lattice tracks and inversions and I will post their rsponse as soon as I get it.

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions