Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area [NL2] Aquaman, an overwater dive coaster for Great Adventure

[NL2] Aquaman, an overwater dive coaster for Great Adventure

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Points on hand: 4,598.00 Points
This is an idea I've had for a long time: A dive coaster for Six Flags Great Adventure built primarily over Switlik Lake, with this view from the top of the first drop and the splashdown running UNDER the log flume, that would soak its riders with proper timing!

The layout so far, on top of the overlay. The weird yellow line is Google Earth's ruler tool that I used to show the line of sight I intended for the top of the drop. It's "done" up to the MCBR and second vertical drop, but the first two elements (immelman and vertical loop) need a lot more tweaking and smoothing. The end part of the coaster will pass through the narrow channel of water that the Log Flume surrounds, crossing under the Log Flume to the left of the picture and splashing down there, then crossing over it shortly before the final brakes. Aside from that, I don't know what's going to go in the second half yet.

The name Aquaman fits in with the park's other coasters named after DC Comics superheroes (Batman, Superman, Green Lantern), is perfect for the location, and gives it a great color scheme:
The colors of the train were lifted straight from Aquaman in the comics, the color of the track came from the ocean in Zelda: Wind Waker, and the supports are intended to look like seaweed.

And last but not least, the actual coaster so far:
If the rest of the park was there, the Log Flume station with the giant waterwheel would be just to your left from this point of view.

That's about all I have so far, I'll post the track file once it's a complete circuit. I'd appreciate ideas for elements in the second half before the splashdown!

Points on hand: 6,337.00 Points
Just, like, once, could one of these not start Big Drop -> Immelman?

Points on hand: 96.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
The drops look really strict vertical for a B&M dive machine. Maybe consider lessoning the exact vertical time and give it a seriously long lead before the exit.

Just as an example. You can see in the above picture that they really gradually curve on the top as the train picks up speed. It??????s like B&M tries to keep the negatives at a complete minimal.

Also the loop shaping is iffy. A simple fix just to get an idea of the shaping is to raise the pull sections a little to make it increase the radius gradually the higher you are.

Loops also requires more vertices to work with the smooth tool in NL2 because it tends to rounden things up too much so just keep that in mind.
Last edited by dj-dj on December 10th, 2014, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
I think this looks awesome! And this is definitely a coaster GADV needs!

dj-dj wrote:
The drops look really strict vertical for a B&M dive machine. Maybe consider lessoning the exact vertical time and give it a seriously long lead before the exit.

Just as an example. You can see in the above picture that they really gradually curve on the top as the train picks up speed. It??????s like B&M tries to keep the negatives at a complete minimal.

Also the loop shaping is iffy. A simple fix just to get an idea of the shaping is to raise the pull sections a little to make it increase the radius gradually the higher you are.

Loops also requires more vertices to work with the smooth tool in NL2 because it tends to rounden things up too much so just keep that in mind.

Thanks, it's still in a very early stage and needs a lot of work, I'll keep these tips in mind!

TylerE wrote:
Just, like, once, could one of these not start Big Drop -> Immelman?

I was thinking the same thing, but I need to turn the train around and send it back over the water. An immelman is perfect for that. Unfortunately with the width of the train, there aren't a lot of good elements it can do (i.e. Zero-G roll) that wouldn't pull too many Gs in the outer seats.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
TTD03 wrote:
^ Which is why most all B&M Dive's do an immelman after :P
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 6,842.00 Points
@Dusso - Have you thought of trying a hyper-esqe turn around, lead that into an immelmann/dive loop and then have the splash down finale? B&M hasn't really done this yet but, it IS possible as long as you do it correctly... You'd also get a higher rating for originality, at least IMO :)

Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 32.00 Points
Bank: 4,860.00 Points

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Paradox wrote:
TTD03 wrote:

Haha nice.

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
TTD03 wrote:
Paradox wrote:
TTD03 wrote:

Haha nice.

But not true because Oblivion
What are these for?

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 3,034.00 Points
^ And G5.

Layout looks good. It seems like a long trek back to the station if the splashdown is under the log flume, good luck with that. I also never knew that lake had such a stupid name. Sounds like a Christmas elf.

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
^ Native american names dominate eastern pa and NJ, they probably do around you too(Ohio is native american itself), but since different tribes had different languages and dialects those names sound more normal to you.
What are these for?

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

DechLave wrote:
@Dusso - Have you thought of trying a hyper-esqe turn around, lead that into an immelmann/dive loop and then have the splash down finale? B&M hasn't really done this yet but, it IS possible as long as you do it correctly... You'd also get a higher rating for originality, at least IMO :)

I'll probably do one of those right before the splashdown, but I'm not sure what will come before it. I'm planning on putting some number of airtime hills between the splashdown and final brakes, the number of which will depend on how fast it's going at that point. And I don't think any actual dive coaster has a vertical loop yet!

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Good post with the loop dj-dj. I used the loop wizard because I can't shape one properly in the game either lol.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Return to Hard Hat Area