Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Best first drop you've been on

Best first drop you've been on

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post January 25th, 2015, 4:05 pm

Points on hand: 15,401.90 Points
Might as well post a counterpart thread. I don't think I could find a thread like this here.
What roller coaster(s) have the best first drop of any you've been on? You can list kiddie coasters if you want, tho I doubt any of them would have a memorable first drop.

I tend to like insanely steep drops, so the one that comes to mind is Lightning Run.
The one on Legend at Holiday World is more intense than it looks even tho it's not nearly as steep. Maybe it has to do with the way it turns as it drops.

Post January 25th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
The original Cyclone at Six Flags New England. Most insane airtime in the back seat. Nothing else compares.
1.Boulder Dash | 2.Legend(HW) | 3.Beast | 4.Ravine Flyer II | 5.Intimdator 305 | 6.Phoenix | 7.Twisted Timbers | 8.Wicked Cyclone | 9.Thunderhead | 10.Storm Chaser

Post January 25th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points

Post January 25th, 2015, 4:40 pm

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
Old arrow drops are some of my favorites. Magnum and Gemini insane in the back row with loose restraints.
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Post January 25th, 2015, 4:50 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Iron Rattler in the back row... it's impossible to describe how insane it is if you haven't been on it. The surprising lats and the unbelievably steep drop right down the side of the cliff, into the roofed track section and the swerving. It's unbeatable.
Last edited by GerstlCrazy on January 25th, 2015, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Post January 25th, 2015, 5:12 pm

Points on hand: 5,149.54 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

I'd vote the Phantom's Revenge 2nd drop if it counted as the first (since it's bigger and so much better) - so I think I've gotta go with Skyrush as the best 1st drop. Back seat, left wing - insane airtime flying over and down that lift hill! :D

Post January 25th, 2015, 5:28 pm

Points on hand: 4,033.00 Points
For me it's a tie between X2 and Skyrush. Both get me every time.
Intamin: The Force Awakens.

Post January 25th, 2015, 5:29 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
The drop on Goliath at Six Flags Great America is incredible near the back of the train. You get really strong airtime, and it seems to go on forever.

Post January 25th, 2015, 5:43 pm

Points on hand: 35.00 Points
Bank: 4,336.00 Points
The Voyage at Holiday World is my favorite first drop.
Diamondback is Diamonbae.

Post January 25th, 2015, 5:45 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Leviathan's first drop blew all my expectations away.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post January 25th, 2015, 8:08 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,511.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

I'm a sucker for terrain. For me its a tie between Boulder Dash and Nemesis
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post January 25th, 2015, 8:10 pm

Points on hand: 2,485.00 Points
devilsrule911 wrote:
The original Cyclone at Six Flags New England. Most insane airtime in the back seat. Nothing else compares.

Oh then you must have not been on El Toro or Boulder dash. I've ridden Original Cyclone many times and I can say the airtime isn't that good, although you do get thrown out of your seat for a split second here and there, it's really only the first few hills that deliver the airtime.

As for my most memorable drop? Nitro at Six Flags Great Adventure, the only B&M Giga I've ever ridden, and it is by far one of my most favorite coasters of all time. Bizarro in the front row would fall right beside Nitro, although, as that drop is insane as well!

Also, does anyone else notice that when on front row on a coaster, the drop seems MUCH more steeper than usual, and is much more extreme than any other seat?

Post January 25th, 2015, 8:17 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Most people ride back row for the first drop because it gets pulled over the top by the front, resulting in much stronger forces...0G while the front is in the positives, or strong negatives if the front is around 0. The back also gets a better sense of acceleration on the first drop. The front row seems steeper because you're hanging over the edge. That seems to be what you describe as more extreme, but to me and most others it's not as exciting as the results of being pulled over in the back row.

Post January 25th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
I'd have to say Goliath (sfgam) or Voyage
American Eagle Lover

Post January 25th, 2015, 8:41 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I love the intensity of El Toro and Sky Rush, but to me the best first drop is Steel Force, the longer decent because its not as steep, and the straight track just makes it better to me. I'm sure this is probably true for all Arrow/Morgan hypers
What are these for?

Post January 25th, 2015, 8:41 pm

Points on hand: 907.00 Points
While I consider the ride itself to be largely overrated, for me, it was Millennium Force. Sure, other rides get better air time, so I like that, but Millennium was the first coaster I went on that actually had a drop take me by surprise. Something about the way it just keeps curving down far longer than expected really took my breath away the first time I rode it!

As far as air time though, there's a long list of hypers I prefer to most gigas.

Also, I always have to credit my namesake's "first drop" for being the most unique experience on any coaster, still to this day not replicated anywhere else!

Post January 25th, 2015, 8:47 pm

Points on hand: 5,149.54 Points

DrachenfireOP wrote:
While I consider the ride itself to be largely overrated, for me, it was Millennium Force. Sure, other rides get better air time, so I like that, but Millennium was the first coaster I went on that actually had a drop take me by surprise. Something about the way it just keeps curving down far longer than expected really took my breath away the first time I rode it!

As far as air time though, there's a long list of hypers I prefer to most gigas.

Also, I always have to credit my namesake's "first drop" for being the most unique experience on any coaster, still to this day not replicated anywhere else!

I remember my first ride on Millennium - went over that drop in the back seat at night and I just remember it being far more intense than I ever thought it would be! It's been quite a while since I've been up to Cedar Point, so Skyrush wins in my book because I remember the feeling a lot better :lol:

Post January 25th, 2015, 8:54 pm

lol Steel Force is one of my least favorite drops on a large coaster. I don't know what my favorite is...Millennium Force, El Toro, and Apollo's Chariot are at the top though, with Intimidator 305 and Skyrush being honorable mentions. Maybe I should include Deja Vu with original trains (ridden SFGAm's and Goliath) with my favorites too, that ascent and drop is siiick. With new trains it's just amazing until being instantly painful the moment you hit the pullout lol.

Also it's scary how visible the jerk is entering that pullout from offride. Has anyone noticed that? It looks like the track has 0 transition there, or maybe was even deformed from use. Very, very jarring at this point.

Post January 25th, 2015, 10:04 pm

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
mrcrolly wrote:
devilsrule911 wrote:

Oh then you must have not been on El Toro or Boulder dash. I've ridden Original Cyclone many times and I can say the airtime isn't that good, although you do get thrown out of your seat for a split second here and there, it's really only the first few hills that deliver the airtime.

I have been on El Toro and Boulder Dash more than any other coaster. They're both great drops, but Cyclone's got to a point where I was pushing up on a loose restraint a split second after I was seated. If you rode in the back seat I think you would agree that it is crazy. The question was not what ride has the best airtime, but what is the best first drop. I was only referring to Cyclone's drop and not its overall ride experience. El Toro is pretty good and Boulder Dash is my all time favorite coaster. That doesn't mean that I think either of them have exceptional first drops.
1.Boulder Dash | 2.Legend(HW) | 3.Beast | 4.Ravine Flyer II | 5.Intimdator 305 | 6.Phoenix | 7.Twisted Timbers | 8.Wicked Cyclone | 9.Thunderhead | 10.Storm Chaser

Post January 25th, 2015, 10:07 pm

Toro's first drop I would call exceptional, but I agree Boulder Dash doesn't have the best first drop. It gets close and maybe touches 0G but it's more about laterals and acceleration. The bottom of the first drop is pretty awesome though. It sets the tone for the rest of the ride in a good way.

Cyclone's first drop was crazy, but (even though I knew it was coming) I don't know that it was enjoyable crazy for me as much as it was "whoa what just happened" crazy. Glad I got to try it, but I was satisfied with one ride in the back.

Post January 25th, 2015, 10:43 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
You are all stupid.

Last row of Skyrush at Hersheypark during the 2012 season (before they slowed the train at the crest of the lift hill). There is literally NOTHING that has ever ejected me that much out of my seat during a 200 foot drop that severely.
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post January 25th, 2015, 10:50 pm

I rode it in 2012, great yes but I'm on the fence about the hitch in the drop. Unique, but I couldn't figure out if it was in a good way or a bad way. It breaks up the strength of the airtime and makes the drop feel smaller than it is, but it's also a very intense moment. My first ride was in the back row and my upper body got plastered forward for the duration of the pullout...that transition between negatives and positives is tiny. I definitely remembered to be as upright as possible at that point for subsequent rides lol.

Post January 26th, 2015, 1:08 am

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
Leviathan, Outlaw Run, and Maverick all have stellar first drops. Leviathan probably takes the cake for its open trains, sheer height and crazy sustained floater - but of the coasters I've been on it's a close call between those 3.

Post January 26th, 2015, 5:56 am

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points

Intimidator 305 was like nothing else I've ridden in terms of drop. I think 85 degrees was a bit of a stretch there, should have went with just 80!
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post January 26th, 2015, 6:13 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Hmmm... I gotta say Expedition GeForce in Holiday Park when seated in the backseat. Being thrown out of the seat sideways and straight up due the laterals and negative G's is just insane. I can't stop loving that drop.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions