Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions whats with the hypers and giga

whats with the hypers and giga

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post January 26th, 2015, 7:42 am

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points
whats with the parks that have hyper coasters getting giga coasters lately why not something else like a sitdown or floorles or even a flyer and dive coasters don't get me wrong they look awesome but 2 very simalur rides at the same park

Post January 26th, 2015, 10:37 am

Points on hand: 5,149.54 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Two very similar rides overlapping in the same park? Sounds almost like an NL2 park I saw someone planning ;)

Post January 26th, 2015, 10:38 am

Post January 26th, 2015, 10:45 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points

Post January 26th, 2015, 10:47 am

^but nolimits is fake and these parks are real though I think its unseracery in real life

Post January 26th, 2015, 10:53 am

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
Does that make two wooden coasters unnecessary then? No, it doesn't. Just because two rides are the same type they will still deliver different types of experiences.
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Post January 26th, 2015, 11:12 am

Points on hand: 15,401.90 Points
What I've read people say is that hypers are more about airtime and giga coasters (aside from SD2K) are more about sheer speed and not as much airtime, and IMO more visually intimidating.

Post January 26th, 2015, 2:30 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
They aren't necessarily the same rides despite having the same track style. I think Behemoth and Intimidator are about the airtime, while Leviathan and Fury 325 are more about speed and directional changes. Sure, they bear some similarities, but for the most part, they will be different ride experiences.

Post January 26th, 2015, 3:49 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
They are most certainly different ride experiences. Plus, the general public attending the parks, on average, don't know the difference between a wooden coaster and a Togo and an invert and a cheese curd, so the odds of them knowing the difference between a B&M mega and a B&M giga are close to none. Thus, the marketing ploy will work. Cedar Fair thinks, "We currently have a contract with B&M and we want a very tall eye-opening coaster to attract publicity for X and Y parks so we will ask B&M to build a Gigacoaster in X and Y parks regardless of whether or not those parks have a mega." The public thinks, "WAW LOOK AT THAT BLU ONE."

Post January 26th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
GP usually isn't that dumb. I've often heard non-coaster people saying how Nitro reminds them of Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens, for example. They know when a ride is similar in style to another...and if it looks cool they'll be excited to try it anyways, at which time they'll notice if it seems faster, smoother/rougher, and they'll form an opinion if it's better or worse. Why? Because it's fun to do so, and of course they have to figure out what they want to ride next!

Post January 26th, 2015, 4:20 pm

Points on hand: 6,842.00 Points
VF15 wrote:
They aren't necessarily the same rides despite having the same track style. I think Behemoth and Intimidator are about the airtime, while Leviathan and Fury 325 are more about speed and directional changes. Sure, they bear some similarities, but for the most part, they will be different ride experiences.

You took the words straight from my head! Lol gigas (IMO) are definitely more visually intimidating and do offer way more speed and directional changes than hyper coasters that are (IMO) more flowy/elegant and offer way more airtime moments! But some people also feel the same way about SFMM's Scream and Riddlers Revenge...

dcs221 wrote:
GP usually isn't that dumb. I've often heard non-coaster people saying how Nitro reminds them of Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens, for example. They know when a ride is similar in style to another...and if it looks cool they'll be excited to try it anyways, at which time they'll notice if it seems faster, smoother/rougher, and they'll form an opinion if it's better or worse. Why? Because it's fun to do so, and of course they have to figure out what they want to ride next!

Uhmmm, I've worked at theme park for the past 4 years, and I've definitely seen my fair share of stupid people (no offense) but, a lot of the time its a matter people lacking COMMON SENSE! For example, why spend 30 minutes waiting in line for ride only to the front of line and asks "what does this ride do?" AFTER you've already past 2 check point attendants in the queue line?! The looks I give guests are out of this world! Lmao :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post January 26th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Points on hand: 35.00 Points
Bank: 4,336.00 Points
Holiday World has 3 wooden coasters. 3. Before they even got a legitimate steel coaster. 3.
Diamondback is Diamonbae.

Post January 26th, 2015, 5:14 pm

Yes of course there are people that lack common sense, and it's a very different and exciting day for most. They're not used to it and they're out of their element...and some people say or do dumb things even when they are in their comfort zone. In reference to your example, maybe those people are having second thoughts, maybe their friends had them get in line when they weren't really paying attention, maybe it looked like the line for one ride until they got closer and saw it was something different, maybe they could only see part of the ride at the entrance then saw more as they moved along in the line, maybe their friends were messing with them and they didn't think to check with someone who works there until they got to you...there are a lot of logical explanations. Honestly I think usually enthusiast put downs of GP are more illogical than the actions they describe, and to me it makes enthusiasts look bad. It's one reason I like coasters, but don't feel I identify with the group much.

Post January 26th, 2015, 5:33 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

^I agree. I think not all of the GP is dumb, it's just that the dumb ones are the loud ones and those are the ones we tend to notice. The people who sat near me on I-305 actually knew a bit of info about it.
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post January 26th, 2015, 6:34 pm

Yeah, and even past that, not knowing coaster stats doesn't make one dumb. It's like going to a tennis match and not knowing what love means or how they count points. If you don't watch a lot of tennis or care past going with friends as something fun to do, you're not going to know all the details. That doesn't mean you're less intelligent than the next person who happens to follow tennis.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions