Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Trip Reports Six Flags Great America Photo Trip Report

Six Flags Great America Photo Trip Report

Visited a theme park and have a wild time?!? Post your trip report here and tell us all about it!

Post February 19th, 2015, 10:00 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
So during my trip to Chicago back in August, I obviously had to spend a day at Six Flags Great America since I had a good time there during my previous visit in 2013, and because I just had to experience Goliath. Overall, I had a terrific day at this park. Even though I had to wait about an hour for most of the coasters, the coasters themselves made up for it. I wasn't really sure what to expect from the park's operations and customer service since I had been hearing that this park was going downhill (no pun intended) in those areas, but the customer service I did encounter wasn't bad at all. The ride ops weren't working the fastest I've ever seen, but they were acceptable. I didn't encounter any bad/rude employees, which was nice. Every coaster I rode was running all available trains (except Demon, which ran two trains, although they might even not run three trains anymore.) All in all, Six Flags Great America is an awesome park, and I can see why it's starting to become a destination park among coaster enthusiasts.

By the way, I realize that this trip report is six months late, but I didn't join CoasterCrazy until October, and it's the offseason, so I needed something to do to help myself survive it. Anyway, on to the pictures...

thumb_image_8742.jpg

Cornfields and coasters... Yep, we're in the Midwest.

thumb_image_8743.jpg

Good morning, Six Flags Great America.

thumb_image_8744.jpg

Shot of the Columbia Carousel, probably one of the nicest carousels I've seen.

thumb_image_8745.jpg

A shot of a plaza with V2 and Batman in the background.

thumb_image_8746.jpg

Started the day with X-Flight. I really like this coaster. Sure, it doesn't have mind-blowing intensity, and it's not Top 10 material, but it is definitely a lot of fun. There are a few parts with good forces, and the flying sensation is nice.

thumb_image_8747.jpg

Going down the first drop.

thumb_image_8748.jpg

Some folks don't like them, but I think B&M's new vest restraints are very comfortable. Much better than their standard OTSRs.

thumb_image_8749.jpg

Goliath train leaving the station, and people waiting in the overflow queue. When walked up to the entrance, the posted wait time was 3 hours (ugh), but fortunately, with the single rider lanyard, I was able to ride after only 50 minutes or so :).

thumb_image_8786.jpg

They were giving everyone these boarding passes, which are in place to curb line jumping. This is a good idea, and more parks should use these for rides when they get extremely busy.

thumb_image_8750.jpg

I have to admit, even though Goliath is my current #1 coaster, my first ride on it was slightly underwhelming. My second ride on it in the afternoon was really insane, and that's what did it for me.

thumb_image_8751.jpg

This is definitely one of the most messed-up coaster elements I've seen. Hanging upside-down with only a lap bar is really something else.

thumb_image_8752.jpg

Batman: The Ride is what a B&M invert should be: fast, forceful, and fun.

thumb_image_8753.jpg

Theming in the queue line with a shout-out to B&M.

thumb_image_8754.jpg

Vertical Velocity's dormant holding brake. I didn't ride V2 this time because I had ridden it the year before, and I have the same ride at my home park (Steel Venom at Valleyfair, although Steel Venom's holding brake still works).

thumb_image_8755.jpg

Police car theming with a Batman train overhead.

thumb_image_8756.jpg

Raging Bull going through a turn. This ride has picked up a slight rattle since I last rode it, but it's tolerable, and it's still an awesome ride.

thumb_image_8757.jpg

Maybe I just got lucky, but even though the trims were on, they really didn't have any effect on the ride because I still got a lot of airtime.

thumb_image_8758.jpg

Happy Raging Bull riders on the brake run.

thumb_image_8783.jpg

The bull is about to get angry.

thumb_image_8782.jpg

Viper train entering the first turnaround.

thumb_image_8760.jpg

If you're a fan of floater air, this is the ride for you because it has a lot of it.

thumb_image_8762.jpg

Demon train in the first loop. I knew it wasn't going to be the best ride, but I decided to take a spin on it since this ride has always intrigued me.

thumb_image_8763.jpg

Got a pretty good smack to the head in the second loop. The tunnel that followed it was nice though.

thumb_image_8764.jpg

It was cool hearing the original Demon theme song while waiting in line.

thumb_image_8765.jpg

A shot of X-Flight's funky wingover drop.

thumb_image_8766.jpg

X-Flight's inline twist. This actually has some decent hangtime.

thumb_image_8771.jpg

Goliath safety instructions.

thumb_image_8769.jpg

The station.

thumb_image_8768.jpg

Goliath heading up the monstrous lift hill.

thumb_image_8761.jpg

My favorite first drop on any coaster.

thumb_image_8767.jpg

The dive loop. A bit slow at the top, but better while dropping.

thumb_image_8772.jpg

Heard a really dumb GP comment while waiting in line, "It's a wooden coaster, so it can't go upside-down! It would fall off!" Umm... Goliath's train here would like a word with you. ;)

thumb_image_8770.jpg

Goliath riders on the brake run are happy, as they should be.

thumb_image_8774.jpg

V2 sure does have a neat-looking entrance.

thumb_image_8775.jpg

V2 and Goliath from afar.

thumb_image_8778.jpg

The Sky Trek Tower. Never been on it, but it looks nice.

thumb_image_8776.jpg

Didn't ride Superman because the line was too long to justify waiting, and I ran out of time. Wasn't a big deal since I had ridden it the year before.

thumb_image_8780.jpg

Another shot of Superman. There's no denying that these pretzel loops are truly insane elements.

thumb_image_8781.jpg

A shot of the park sign on the way out.

Thanks for reading my trip report! Let me know what you think below.
Last edited by VF15 on February 1st, 2016, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post February 19th, 2015, 10:51 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Okay so I haven't been to that park since X Flight was new, and I see they redid the B:TR sign. Please tell me they didn't paint over the really well done fake graffiti in the queue.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post February 20th, 2015, 12:04 am

Points on hand: 680.00 Points
Bank: 1,513.00 Points
Looking at Goliath's crazy element more closely, awesome!
I wonder how the hang time compares next to Full Throttle. Hang time with only a lapbar is awesome.
Favorite pic was the 6th!
As long as the pics are good, and we get to talk about something, then I'm fine with 6 month old trip reports, especially in the off season.

Post February 20th, 2015, 1:26 am

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points
Great trip report man I love how they shouted out to b&m in the que line

Post February 20th, 2015, 5:16 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,068.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Nice trip report - glad you got a classic "lift hill" shot of Goliath - might have to add that to my wallpaper collection if you don't mind?
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post February 20th, 2015, 7:03 am
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
Okay so I haven't been to that park since X Flight was new, and I see they redid the B:TR sign. Please tell me they didn't paint over the really well done fake graffiti in the queue.

I did not see much graffiti in Batman's queue, so I guess it's possible that they might have painted over it, but I'm not a local to this park, so I might be wrong.

mkingy wrote:
Nice trip report - glad you got a classic "lift hill" shot of Goliath - might have to add that to my wallpaper collection if you don't mind?

Sure, go right ahead.

Post February 20th, 2015, 8:09 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,068.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
VF15 wrote:
mkingy wrote:

Sure, go right ahead.

Fantastic - thanks! Do you have it in a bigger resolution you could upload somewhere (probably the original file before you uploaded it to CC)?
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post February 20th, 2015, 10:34 am

Points on hand: 3,390.00 Points
Since Six Flags Great America is my home park I will post better quality pictures and park updates.

Post February 20th, 2015, 4:00 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

mkingy wrote:
Fantastic - thanks! Do you have it in a bigger resolution you could upload somewhere (probably the original file before you uploaded it to CC)?

If you click on the image, it should bring up a slightly larger resolution in a new page, which I believe is the resolution of the original.

Post February 28th, 2015, 2:20 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points
coasterfreek wrote:
Since Six Flags Great America is my home park I will post better quality pictures and park updates.

I hope you do

Return to Theme Park Trip Reports