Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Coasters That RMC Should Not Touch

Coasters That RMC Should Not Touch

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post February 27th, 2015, 5:10 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Even though RMC has been known for taking subpar woodies and turning them into spectacular rides, not every coaster out there should get their Iron Horse treatment. Just wondering which woodies that you think shouldn't get Iron Horsed and why. I'll name a few to start...

-Coney Island Cyclone: Even though I hear that this ride is a bit rough, this ride should not be touched because it is arguably the most famous wooden coaster in the world.
-Most GCI's: The majority of GCI woodies out there are already fun rides that run well as they are. Gwazi is probably the only GCI I can think of that would really need it (now that it's closed it is a possibility), but most of them don't need the treatment.

I can't really think of any more right now, but hopefully the rest of you can.

Post February 27th, 2015, 5:24 pm

Points on hand: 15,401.90 Points
-The Beast at KI-If they I-boxed it, not only would it no longer be a wooden coaster it would also probably be a bit shorter since RMC's bleed off speed more quickly, thus it would lose its title of 'longest wooden roller coaster.' I also like the out of control rough feeling of this one.
-The Racer at KI-Like 'The Beast' I would also be thinking 'they changed it now it sucks.' I feel like an RMC makeover would be messing with history.
-Any of the woodies at Holiday World, except maybe the Legend. I might not mind an RMC Legend, but I would be especially mad if the Raven was I-boxed. The Raven is short but fun, and the Voyage is intense as it is.

Post February 27th, 2015, 5:26 pm

Points on hand: 35.00 Points
Bank: 4,336.00 Points
The Raven and The Voyage at Holiday World must remain the same.

The Legend at Holiday World NEEDS a good Ibox track. Everytime I ride it (painful I might add.) I can totally see where they could revamp it and throw in some Inversions or serious overbanks. They could even do a roll over drop. It'd be sick.

Hmm.. possible NoLimits project for me..
Diamondback is Diamonbae.

Post February 27th, 2015, 5:40 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,511.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Boulder Dash. NEVER touch that or I might actually burst a single nut.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post February 27th, 2015, 5:45 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Turbo wrote:
Boulder Dash. NEVER touch that or I might actually burst a single nut.

RMC goes anywhere near this some mad sh*t will go down.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post February 27th, 2015, 5:50 pm

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
All the better GCIs and Intamin prefabs need not be touched. How do you all feel about topper track vs full Ibox conversions? Though I haven't been to Holiday World (I hope to soon) I would imagine in the case of The Legend a full reprofile with RMC topper track would be preferable to preserve Holiday World's wooden roots, lol.

With the nature of wooden coaster maintenance including occasional retracking, I don't know that there is a coaster I would feel the need to protect from a topper track treatment when it could drastically improve ride experience. Full Iron Horse conversions should be used sparingly, though, and it seems intelligent choices have been made in which coasters to apply them so far.

Post February 27th, 2015, 6:52 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Any wooden coaster built before the dawn of steel coasters should not be touched.

Those are classics.

Newer coasters that shouldn't be touched are the Holiday World line-up, Boulder Dash, any GCI after Wildcat, and the Knoebels coasters.
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post February 27th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
RMC shouldn't touch anything besides Mean Streak. I'm still mad about Medusa, Cyclone and Colossus.
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Post February 28th, 2015, 9:22 am
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

I can't believe I left The Beast out of my original post. Even though I haven't ridden it, considering how historic The Beast, RMC should not even think of going near. Besides, if The Beast closed, can you imagine how POed some enthuiasts and GP would be?

Post February 28th, 2015, 10:49 am

Points on hand: 4,033.00 Points
CoasterGuy2000 wrote:
RMC shouldn't touch anything besides Mean Streak. I'm still mad about Medusa, Cyclone and Colossus.

They shouldn't touch Mean Streak either. That coaster is a beauty.
Intamin: The Force Awakens.

Post February 28th, 2015, 10:59 am

Well its a better decoration than a ride. RMC could do something like NTG and keep the massive wooden structure.

Post February 28th, 2015, 11:02 am

Personally, I hope Colossus and Cyclone are the last of the "conversions", and RMC can focus on original coasters from the ground up. I just don't see Cedar Fair ever jumping on that bandwagon. They respect the history of their parks a lot more than Six Flags does.

I'd rather see something like Outlaw Run go into Cedar Point.

Post February 28th, 2015, 11:14 am
Goku1910 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,514.00 Points
Bank: 2,212.00 Points
American Eagle at SFGAm - Some of you may know that Gurnee has restricted construction near the I-94 and Washington Street near the park so that means although RMC can modify Eagle, they can't add to it or change it too much. I think with a steeper lift hill they could do something with it but this would make for a very boring RMC. Great America would be better off giving Viper to RMC.

Post February 28th, 2015, 11:15 am

^^Mean Streak doesn't have any history. It wasn't ground breaking, it wasn't famous, it was just another ride built in the crappy days of Dinn Corp. After that there are very few rides I would want to see converted, only rides that have no history, where never any good and are beyond saving with retracking.

Post February 28th, 2015, 11:48 am

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points

Post February 28th, 2015, 12:03 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
One might have said Rolling Thunder, but... well... you know...

Post February 28th, 2015, 12:17 pm

Ghostrider gets a big fat no from me. Not only is it the only wood coaster at Knotts, I'd rather it got the full Boulder Dash treatment instead.

Post February 28th, 2015, 12:39 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Goku1910 wrote:
American Eagle at SFGAm - Some of you may know that Gurnee has restricted construction near the I-94 and Washington Street near the park so that means although RMC can modify Eagle, they can't add to it or change it too much. I think with a steeper lift hill they could do something with it but this would make for a very boring RMC. Great America would be better off giving Viper to RMC.

I don't think Viper needs to get RMC'd because it's already a fun woodie with lots of nice floater air. American Eagle would need the RMC treatment more because I found it to be rough and mostly uninteresting.

Post February 28th, 2015, 1:39 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Manic Monte wrote:
Ghostrider gets a big fat no from me. Not only is it the only wood coaster at Knotts, I'd rather it got the full Boulder Dash treatment instead.

I agree, it was rough, but it was a very fun rough.

Post March 2nd, 2015, 8:26 am

I feel like el toro should be but boulder dash shall never be touched

Post March 2nd, 2015, 8:31 am

Points on hand: 537.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
I think they RMC should touch Thunder Road at Carowinds and change its colors to white with red and blue RMC track amen
its my birthday

Post March 2nd, 2015, 8:56 am

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 3,034.00 Points
CoasterGuy2000 wrote:
^^Mean Streak doesn't have any history. It wasn't ground breaking, it wasn't famous, it was just another ride built in the crappy days of Dinn Corp. After that there are very few rides I would want to see converted, only rides that have no history, where never any good and are beyond saving with retracking.

Tallest Wooden Roller Coaster (Still the 5th tallest)
Biggest Wooden Coaster Drop (again still no.5)
Was the 2nd longest wooden coaster to The Beast
It's image is iconic even to GP
It's been GP memed repeatedly (Girl on the tricycle on a roller coaster is Mean Streak)
was featured on the Today's Show for 100 years of coasters special
survived two waterspouts, lightning, and fire

yeah it has history and it is famous

Stop touching coasters RMC, make your own! I get why they get hired to reprofile outdated coasters, but I'd rather have an all new expierence than a re-purposed old one. It's not going to live up to the memories, and it's really not "new". I'd rather see the old ones completely removed and the space better used if they want to replace an older coaster.

Post March 2nd, 2015, 9:23 am

Points on hand: 2,485.00 Points
Boulder Dash for sure. Awesome ride that doesn't need to be RMC'd. Although Wildcat at Lake Compounce could use some loving.

Post March 2nd, 2015, 9:28 am

LuckyK wrote:
CoasterGuy2000 wrote:

Tallest Wooden Roller Coaster (Still the 5th tallest)
Biggest Wooden Coaster Drop (again still no.5)
Was the 2nd longest wooden coaster to The Beast
It's image is iconic even to GP
It's been GP memed repeatedly (Girl on the tricycle on a roller coaster is Mean Streak)
was featured on the Today's Show for 100 years of coasters special
survived two waterspouts, lightning, and fire

yeah it has history and it is famous

Stop touching coasters RMC, make your own! I get why they get hired to reprofile outdated coasters, but I'd rather have an all new expierence than a re-purposed old one. It's not going to live up to the memories, and it's really not "new". I'd rather see the old ones completely removed and the space better used if they want to replace an older coaster.

never knew about water spouts near cedar point

Post March 2nd, 2015, 10:12 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
El Toro? Really? We are talking about the ride still ranked as #1 in the world, right? It's not as smooth as it was, but it's still on par with a lot of B&Ms, a similar level of roughness as Nitro in its own park, for example. More hard small bumps on track transitions in a couple spots, less heavy vertical shake on pullouts. I call it a wash.

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions