Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Meets Cedar Point - June 2015

Cedar Point - June 2015

Planning a theme park visit? Post it here to organize a theme park meet with other members of the site. You can't go wrong with taking another enthusiast with you!

Post March 14th, 2015, 1:30 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
This summer, I will finally be making the trip to Sandusky to visit America's Roller Coast. I'm very excited about going to Cedar Point, but I need some help planning, so if any of you could answer any of these questions, that would be great.

1) I'm likely going the second week of June, though that's not set in stone. How bad should the crowds and lines be? Probably won't be too bad if some schools are still in session, but I'm not sure.
2) Where are the best places to sit on all of the coasters?
3) What flat rides should I put on my "must-ride" list?
4) Mean Streak, Magnum, and Corkscrew are the coasters that I hear the most complaints about roughness (I would've said Maverick, but it's getting new restraints). Are they really as bad as people say, and should I skip them?
5) Is the waterpark worth checking out?
6) Anything else I should know about the park?

Any input is appreciated.

Post March 14th, 2015, 1:51 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
2. Personally I'm a fan of the backseat so I can always recommend that on any coaster. For TTD I would say, ride at least once in the front seat. The feeling of wind at the launch and the view is a must. :)
3. Jr Gemini/Wilderness Run. :lol: When I went in 2010 or so there was some kind of arrangement that adults could ride once for the "coastercredit". Don't know it if still counts, but worth to try if you're a credit whore. Than again, it's a classic. :)
4. No, they aren't THAT bad imo. Out of the 3 mentioned, mean streak would be the worst. Magnum is more "rough" due the shock airtime it gives frontseat and corkscrew is nothing wrong with imo. I enjoyed that one a lot. :)
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post March 14th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
1) Well some schools will be out by then but definitely not all them so it's probably better than July. How many days are you staying? If only for 1 I would definitely consider Fast lane, if you're going for 2 or more you should be fine but save 20 bucks for plinko (If they still have it).
2) These are just my personal opinion but here: Blue Streak: middle row of the last car; Mine ride: doesn't matter; Corkscrew: the bench under the corkscrews; Gatekeeper: Back row right side; Gemini: very last row; Iron Dragon: Doesn't really matter; Magnum: Middle row last car; Mean Streak: anywhere near the front; Millennium: first row of car 8; Raptor: Personally I like the back; Rougarou: Can't really say; TTD: If you want to wait an extra hour, the front. If not, than the very back; Wicked Twister: Very back
3) I'd say the must rides are Maxair, Skyhawk, and power tower are must rides. Windseeker and Witches wheel can be pretty fun too though.
4) Mean Streak isn't all that bad, it's more just boring but its worth a ride. Magnum, people are just babies about. Absolutley no problem at all. Corkscrew will leave you with a headache but worth the credit. Never had a problem with Maverick either but shouldn't have to worry anymore anyway
5) I've never actually gone, so I'd say no.
6) The food is horrible, make sure you eat from the brand name places. If you're in the back, checkout Chik-fi-la, panda express or head to the front. In the front try either Pinks or Chicky and Petes. In the morning head to the back of the park, don't do the front of the park until the afternoon for the shortest rides. If Dragsters having problems, run to it as soon as you see it running.
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Post March 14th, 2015, 2:31 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Yea if for 1 or 2 days only, get Fast Lane Plus.
If for 3,4,5, you should be fine without it.

Everything that these 2 goons :) above me have said is all accurate. TTD for your first ride is worth the extra wait for the front row. Don't even think about the extra wait, just do it.

Ride all the coasters, they don't call it the Roller Coaster Capital of the World for nothing!

Post March 14th, 2015, 2:34 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

If it helps, I'll probably be going for 2.5 days (Starlight admission the day I arrive, then two full days).

Post March 14th, 2015, 2:39 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

VF15 wrote:
If it helps, I'll probably be going for 2.5 days (Starlight admission the day I arrive, then two full days).

That's what I usually stay for, and we still get Fast Lane Plus for one day.
I might suggest it for lots of re-rides and if you don't plan on going back for a few years.

Post March 14th, 2015, 2:55 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Ride Rougarou before like 5PM because after that you will lose to the insects, and when you ride Dragster and the line splits, try to go to the right half. When you're working the ride and you dump people with skip the line passes into the train, they usually end up in the station closest to launch.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post March 14th, 2015, 9:39 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Thanks for all of the info.

One more thing: We plan on staying at Breakers Express since I'm trying to save money. Is Breakers Express a good hotel, or would it be better to pay the extra money and stay at Hotel Breakers or Sandcastle Suites?

Post March 15th, 2015, 2:39 am

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 3,034.00 Points
All the hotels are average by the point. JHust make sure where you stay has early entry, that'll knock out the huge lines before the park even opens. Also depending on the days you can stay you might want to look and see if those days fall under platnum perks days lie ERT or extraride times. It may be worth it to chip in the extra bucks. The waterpark is dreadful. Absolutely dreadful, there are better city waterparks.

Flat rides you need to ride:

Skyhawk facing Snake River Falls (backside):

Even if you've been on the S&S swings before, the size of Skyhawk and the loose lapbar makes it extremely unnerving when you are face down over solid pavement.

Cedar Downs: This is a carousel. BUT, the horses move back and forth a good 10 feet so it looks like they are racing. Also it spins much faster than any carousel I've seen and is a one of a kind ride.

Seats you need to ride

Raptor:
Front or back

Gatekeeper:
First ride Front right, rushing to that first Keyhole is iconic.

BEST seat: Back left, that snap over the Dive drop makes me happy every time

Meanstreak:
FIRST RIDE MUST BE AT NIGHT

Blue Streak:
Last row then first It's worth it!

Rougarou:
I've ridden Mantis, Dominator, Kracken, and Scream enough to predict that the money seat will be the front row more than ever. The layout being a stand-up doesn't have the snaps and whips that most floorless coasters have to really sling the back row around and exaggerate floater moments, BUT those low transitions will probably be amazing with so much exposure and I think that old snap will be even more dramatic in the front.

MF:
Ride the last left seat FIRST. Any other seat and it won't live up to expectations. Feel the forces that people love it for first, then go for the view.

Maverick
Doesn't matter, drop everything you love and run to this first.

Gemini
Last rows totally make the race more fun, but if it's only running single trains the front row gives awesome views.

Magnum
I only ride last row, points if you can get a night ride your first ride

Iron Dragon:
Front row views, last row feels.

Corkscrew:
Front row, good views, less brain damaging

Cedar Creek Mine Ride:
large family coaster, fun but any seat will do

Post March 15th, 2015, 4:59 am

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
LuckyK wrote:
Feel the forces that people love it for first

Lol riiiiiight. I do agree back left is the spot to be though.

Post March 15th, 2015, 5:34 am

aj74205 wrote:
LuckyK wrote:

For me it's the spot that lives up to the hype. Best first impression.

Also skip all the water rides, all of them are terrible. Snake River Falls used to be one of my favorite rides of all time but it has since been heavily trimmed and if there is a wait isn't really worth the time lost on other rides. Thunder Canyon is outdated but still pretty good paced. Beware, it uses lake water, not circulated park water. Not that it's bad, but some people have medical issues.

If you need to cool off there is a play fountain next to Raptor at the front of the park, it'll save time if it's super hot those days and make the whole day better to stay wet and hydrated. Which is impossible, Cedar Point is a concrete desert on a lake, you are are going to get dehydrated. The best value in the park is the all day cup, remember to fill it with water as well from time to time. It's really important to remember to take care of your skin and take breaks, it's overwhelming and distracting, when the park magic wears off back home, you'll still be exhausted from the trip.

Post March 15th, 2015, 6:03 am
Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 32.00 Points
Bank: 4,860.00 Points
LuckyK wrote:
aj74205 wrote:
LuckyK wrote:

For me it's the spot that lives up to the hype. Best first impression.

Also skip all the water rides, all of them are terrible. Snake River Falls used to be one of my favorite rides of all time but it has since been heavily trimmed and if there is a wait isn't really worth the time lost on other rides. Thunder Canyon is outdated but still pretty good paced. Beware, it uses lake water, not circulated park water. Not that it's bad, but some people have medical issues.

If you need to cool off there is a play fountain next to Raptor at the front of the park, it'll save time if it's super hot those days and make the whole day better to stay wet and hydrated. Which is impossible, Cedar Point is a concrete desert on a lake, you are are going to get dehydrated. The best value in the park is the all day cup, remember to fill it with water as well from time to time. It's really important to remember to take care of your skin and take breaks, it's overwhelming and distracting, when the park magic wears off back home, you'll still be exhausted from the trip.

This is very true to the point. I am originally from Texas, so the heat really doesn't bother me that much, but there were people passing out left and right when I was there in July 2013. You will definitely still be exhausted long after your trip to the park, so take the advice and don't do too much harm to your body. Bu tthe most important thing to do is to HAVE FUN. I don;t think that you will have any problems with it. Take pictures so that way we can all see them.

Post March 15th, 2015, 7:54 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

VF15 wrote:
Thanks for all of the info.

One more thing: We plan on staying at Breakers Express since I'm trying to save money. Is Breakers Express a good hotel, or would it be better to pay the extra money and stay at Hotel Breakers or Sandcastle Suites?

I've stayed every visit in the Breakers Express hotel. Fine hotel, no extreme luxuries which aren't really necessary. Plus I remember you still get the early access into the park when staying there. :)

Also if your willing to cool off in an extreme way: Take a ride on Thunder Canyon. Those waterfalls are just insane.

Post March 15th, 2015, 9:29 am
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Omg take me with you please.
LuckyK wrote:
Maverick
Doesn't matter, drop everything you love and run to this first.

^This
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post March 15th, 2015, 11:24 am

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
LuckyK hit a lot of great points about the coasters. I'd follow those if you can keep track of it all lol. Don't skip any credits due to "roughness" because they're really not bad. Even Mean Streak is manageable near the front of the train. Get all credits possible! Ride Maxair too, of course. It's massive and extremely forceful but it is the only amusement ride in existence that makes me slightly nauseous so be careful if you're prone to that. Like most parks, start at the back and work forward. MF Maverick and TTD will have basically the same length of line all day, but the other coasters will cycle as the day passes. Raptor and GateKeeper should be extremely short waits in the evening like after 5. Are you going to be in the park multiple days? If so, relax; take it easy, don't rush, etc. It's a large park with a lot to do so try not to get exhausted halfway through the first day.

Post March 15th, 2015, 1:58 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

All good points. Just remember that the GP starts in the front and works its way back. Hit the Front half (Raptor, GK, etc) around dinner time. Also, let me know when you're there! My show rehearsal start June 6th and opens June 13th. Even though I might be in rehearsal, I have evenings I can catch some rides too! Will post more later
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post March 15th, 2015, 2:29 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

LuckyK, thanks for all of the seating suggestions, but I'm curious as to why I should ride Mean Streak at night.

Post March 15th, 2015, 2:44 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Because rides get meaner at night, especially wooden coasters, and I assume he wanted you to be in for a shocking first ride lol

Post March 15th, 2015, 4:03 pm

VF15 wrote:
LuckyK, thanks for all of the seating suggestions, but I'm curious as to why I should ride Mean Streak at night.

Sadly you won't get to feel Mean Streak as it was when it opened, but contrary to what people say it is still a good coaster and isn't rally too rough. I was listing what I would consider optimal first experiences, and there is nothing like a ride on Mean Streak in the dark with the lights on. Diving through all that glowing wood is absolutely amazing even with all the trims. If you are going for the Starlight on day one, you must take your first Mean Streak ride at night with the lights on.

Post March 15th, 2015, 4:52 pm

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
Yeah absolutely agree with this, Mean Streak is nowhere near as bad as the Texas Giant got, and that's likely because its larger elements lead to slower pacing. It's really not a bad coaster just underwhelming given its scale.

Post March 19th, 2015, 8:22 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

titanrocks01 wrote:
This is very true to the point. I am originally from Texas, so the heat really doesn't bother me that much, but there were people passing out left and right when I was there in July 2013. You will definitely still be exhausted long after your trip to the park, so take the advice and don't do too much harm to your body. Bu tthe most important thing to do is to HAVE FUN. I don;t think that you will have any problems with it. Take pictures so that way we can all see them.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU WERE ORIGINALLY FROM THERE! YOU STILL LIVE IN TEXAS!

Post March 27th, 2015, 8:05 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Just wondering, does anyone here know how much a spin on Cedar Point's Slingshot costs? I plan on riding it once since I've always wanted to ride a Slingshot but never had the chance.

Post March 27th, 2015, 8:20 pm

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
I think $25? Don't quote me on that though. And a little bit of random advice, 1) if you want to take a break and sit there's a really nice shady area behind the pretzel place by Magnum. 2) On the Front of the line passes from plinko it says you can't use it for the front seat, that's a total lie so ask if you can. Don't waste it on Gatekeeper either.
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Post March 27th, 2015, 8:21 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

It's not cheap. $25 per person (last season) not sure if it'll change. Also, there's a platinum season pass discount.
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post March 29th, 2015, 5:16 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

VF15 wrote:
Just wondering, does anyone here know how much a spin on Cedar Point's Slingshot costs? I plan on riding it once since I've always wanted to ride a Slingshot but never had the chance.

I would rather say, save that money and spend it on something else. Slingshots are cool, but 25 bucks is just waaaaaaaaaaay too much for just one shot. (At our local fairgrounds it still costs like 8-10 bucks a ride and I still think that's too expensive for the actual Thrill vs Duration ratio.)

Next

Return to Theme Park Meets