Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Hulk Roller Coaster Valley/Technical Glitch? March 24, 2015

Hulk Roller Coaster Valley/Technical Glitch? March 24, 2015

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Points on hand: 2,485.00 Points
(Not sure if already posted).

Fire crews pulled guests off the Incredible Hulk roller coaster at Universal's Islands of Adventure after a minor glitch caused the ride to stop.

The Orlando Fire Department said the call came in at 5:45 p.m. Tuesday. The car became stuck on the track.

A Universal spokesperson said a minor glitch was reported on the ride, which activated its safety system as a result. The ride stopped about 50 yards short of the return platform.
Twenty riders were able to get off of the car onto a safety platform and use the stairs to evacuate.

Firefighters used a bucket truck to remove the 12 other passengers, who were approximately 15 to 20 feet in the air.
All riders were evacuated safely and no injuries were reported.

It is not known if the ride will reopen this evening. The ride will open Wednesday, according to a Universal spokesman.

Source -- http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/ba ... ff_hu.html

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Sounds like it stopped halfway into the final brakes and/or stopped halfway into the block brake if stairs existed for most of the train to use.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points
So the train was leaving the skid, and going into the bend around into the pre-transfer block, when the E-stop triggered. The friction brakes locked on to the train as it was still leaving. Only the first 2 and a half cars left the block as seen here:
Which needed the fire services to raise a basket up to get them, at about 15ft - 20ft up in the air. Everyone else could get out onto the catwalks and down the ladders or stairs. The other train was in the MCBR, a lot higher up.

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,111.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

JAMMY User avatar
Event Coordinator
Event Coordinator

Points on hand: 5,820.00 Points
What is this sorcery!? A media story NOT blowing things out of proportion! :P I was waiting to read 'People left dangling and stranded high above ground as roller coaster fails'! Haha.

But yes as kingy says, good to know the good ol' PLC system is working!
Favourite Park 2016:Still LISEBERG (mmm... HELIX)
Favourite Ride 2016: Still HELIX (at night)

Steam: JAMMYD777
https://twitter.com/JAMMYD778
https://www.youtube.com/JAMMYD778

Points on hand: 4,689.00 Points
Bank: 1,372.00 Points
^Nah, that title is too simple, how about "Roller coaster FAILS leaving many people dangling for their lives! You won't believe what happens next!"

mkingy User avatar

Projektion wrote:
^Nah, that title is too simple, how about "Roller coaster FAILS leaving many people dangling for their lives! You won't believe what happens next!"

Haha yes, clickbait is the scourge of the internet!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

True Addicts
True Addicts

Kinda hoping it would be the butt end of the train instead of the front, makes it slightly more complicated lol.

Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,054.50 Points

Interesting story. I wonder if it entered service 1 at speed with out advance clearance to holding 1 and failed to hold short causing the e-stop, or if the PLC got a misread with the trains exit speed due to some sensory fault and decided to send the stop event. Ether way it's time to replace the brass in the brakes and replace all the proxy switches.

I fear hulk is starting to show her age and these glitches are going to become a lot more common until its taken down for a complete rebuild / modernization effort. I don't think there is another B & M coaster in the world that has more cycles on it. It's close to 3,407,040 cycles on it by now considering its been in service daily since 1999.

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Its tire drive system is still marvelous! Don't want to see this go!
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points
the reason why I hate media is 1)peta 2)people tring to make it sound scary for others not to ride

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
deere839 wrote:
the reason why I hate media is 1)peta 2)people tring to make it sound scary for others not to ride

I kinda miss the relation between peta and what happened here...
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 32.00 Points
Bank: 4,860.00 Points
Dirk_Ermen wrote:
deere839 wrote:

I think we all did

True Addicts
True Addicts

The ride probably has a rule that forbids service animals from riding (most do), so it discriminates against animals and PETA doesn't like that. Duh.

Points on hand: 7,295.00 Points
titanrocks01 wrote:
Dirk_Ermen wrote:
deere839 wrote:

I think we all did

if you read it says why I hate media

mkingy User avatar

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
The ride probably has a rule that forbids service animals from riding (most do), so it discriminates against animals and PETA doesn't like that. Duh.

As you have been a ride op on a B&M you are no doubt aware of the "no beached whales" rule applied on all B&M's.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Return to General Theme Park Discussions