Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions How would you react if this shocker happened in real life?

How would you react if this shocker happened in real life?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Would you appreciate a beloved giga or hyper coaster being given inversions?

Yes!
No votes
No!
14%
I don't care.
5%
I'll reserve judgement until I actually get to ride the thing.
43%
Mixed feelings here.
38%

Total votes : 21

Points on hand: 398.00 Points
Forgive me please for the support prefab overload. This was from one of my first coasters and when I revisited it I came up with this question that I had to ask that I didn't bother resupporting this badly shaped giga. :lol:

So, once upon a time, there was a well-received giga coaster. Its name is Skyward. It was known for its fast turns, huge drops and prolonged airtime of six seconds in one certain hill. It had held the #1 spot in the Golden Ticket Awards for nine consecutive years. I know it won't happen to this design ever but it's just story haha

screenshot-2015-04-15-00-46-37.jpg

screenshot-2015-04-15-00-46-46.jpg

screenshot-2015-04-15-00-47-00.jpg

Then, one day, for it's 10th anniversary, Six Kings Cedarwindsland Gardens Studios Lake announced Twisted Skyward, a renovation with red accented stripes, almost all the airtime hills converted to Zero G rolls, and the world's tallest vertical loop standing over 280 ft. tall. The banking was softened as well, and the opening straight brake blocks was replaced by this gimmicky dive drop underground. They also added OTSRs.

screenshot-2015-04-15-00-49-19.jpg

screenshot-2015-04-15-00-49-26.jpg

screenshot-2015-04-15-00-49-46.jpg

How would you react then if this happened in real life?

Would you be disappointed at the change and the removal of airtime, would you be excited for this change, or would you not care enough at this point that you don't care about how it would go in the end? And would you still vote for it in a rollercoaster poll? Would you ride it first before judging?

I'm interested to see the answers of the community. Please don't hesitate to vote on the poll and explain in a reply below if you need to expand on it.

Thank you for feeding my curiosity!
nerdygeeknl2
WIP: In order of release priority: Nordschleife: Green Hell, unnamed B&M Floorless, unnamed Mack Launched Coaster
"I don't want to say never, because I think never is always the wrong answer." - Walter Bolliger

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Wouldn't probably find it stupid unless they added a random barrel roll or something to like the flat part of MF.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
Wouldn't probably find it stupid unless they added a random barrel roll or something to like the flat part of MF.

:lol:
WIP: In order of release priority: Nordschleife: Green Hell, unnamed B&M Floorless, unnamed Mack Launched Coaster
"I don't want to say never, because I think never is always the wrong answer." - Walter Bolliger

Points on hand: 3,149.00 Points

I don't know how I feel about that. The twisted colossus rolls are probably awesome so I don't know why people are complaining about that. But if it were to happen to a B&M Hyper or giga, I would have a different thought.

Blase Rhine User avatar

Points on hand: 30,499.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

I feel like if a giga/hyper would be given inversions... then I don't think it would classify as a giga/hyper anymore...or it would be classified as something entirely different. Such as a B&M giga/hyper invert instead of just a B&M invert.
Sometimes I dream of unicorns and oreos

Blase Rhine wrote:
I feel like if a giga/hyper would be given inversions... then I don't think it would classify as a giga/hyper anymore...or it would be classified as something entirely different. Such as a B&M giga/hyper invert instead of just a B&M invert.

True... under the strictest definition of a hyper I'm familiar with, a hyper coaster is a continuous circuit coaster from 200 to 299 feet tall without inversions and with a lift chain or cable lift (though a slightly less strict version leaves out the lift requirement), and a giga coaster is the same but 300 to 399 ft. tall.

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points

Personally I follow the not-so-strict version of the rule. I think any coaster over 200 ft and under 300 is a hyper coaster, with or without launches/inversions. Same goes with the other categories. As long as it's a complete circuit (*cough, Superman Escape From Krypton and Tower of Terror, *cough) it counts in my book.
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Points on hand: 680.00 Points
Bank: 1,513.00 Points
As long as the inversions flow naturally like in RMC's, Mavrick.
I don't have a problem with inversions, but with the types, and how it flows. You shouldn't take away from the giga experience, only add to it.

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
I think it would be cool, but I'd have to ride it to make a final call on it.

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
I prefer airtime to inversions, so I might be a little disappointed if something like this happened, but I'd wait until riding it to make an official judgement on it.

Points on hand: 5,149.54 Points

I haven't ridden enough Hypers or Gigas to form an opinion here (first B&B hyper for me will be Apollo's Chariot next weekend). I actually tried this concept out on a giga once, the forces were kind of weird to work with and it felt really gimmicky :lol:

http://www.coastercrazy.com/20353/Renegade

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
^Apollo's one of the better B&M hypers, but I wouldn't get my hopes to high.

Anyway, Airtime>inversions so I'd rather have airtime hills, no matter how forceless.
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Points on hand: 9,972.00 Points
I'm with Helo! As long as all the elements aren't just added mindlessly and for no logical reason, I see nothing wrong with adding inversions on any kind of roller coaster. It's the flow of the elements that matters, and not necessarily the elements themselves.
mkingy wrote:
Yoda was famously quoted as saying:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must
Sith will prevail, otherwise

Fluorometholone

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Talking about extremely large coasters with inversions? They should be always my dream rides, specially in NL simulator! What I noticed from a plenty of your creations is that you guys tend to create "never-have-seen-before" Giga, Tera or Peta tracks with hair-raising inversions while you do love to work on solid recreations of Hyper and Mega!

Hopefully NL builders think B&M is to imitate the track style in detail, to please track downloaders, while Intamin is to be creative to provide visitors a lot of thrill! :D

I edited this post because what I wrote here sounded a bit vague.
Last edited by lol240 on April 20th, 2015, 6:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,111.00 Points
Agree with all who said that as long as its done with reason and thought I think it could be a great ride. What makes smiler a good ride is its mixture of inversions and airtime.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ I voted for "Mixed feelings here". :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
I would slap a bitch.

jk I would ride it anyways and then decide.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions