Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Real life Rollercoaster Tester

Real life Rollercoaster Tester

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post May 22nd, 2015, 1:13 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,111.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Bizarre bit of marketing by Alton Towers - an incredibly impractical volunteer job but perhaps something we would all love to do (if we were getting paid)

Also notice ITV posted a picture of Collosus at Thorpe Park... "Non-Enthusiasts Say The Darndest things... "

http://www.itv.com/news/central/2015-05 ... on-towers/

Wanted: a person with the ultimate head for heights, a strong stomach and a need for speed who can cope with a whole career's-worth of twists and turns in just one morning...

Alton Towers has launched a search for an official Rollercoaster Tester.

The job will entail riding each of the theme park???s biggest rollercoasters before they open to the public.

The lucky candidate will have to endure G-forces which would challenge an astronaut, speeds of 0-60 in just two seconds, a 60-metre drop and be able to handle the first 14-loop rollercoaster, The Smiler, before most people???s days have even started.

The job might sound like a dream come true for some, but it does come with a few downsides:

a) You will need to be on site for 8am daily until the end of September

b) You won???t be paid

c) There won???t be any travel expenses

d) Food is not provided either

On the upside, you???ll be free to go on as many rides as you like all day thanks to your free annual pass.

To enter, participants must visit the Alton Towers Resort website and submit a video describing why you should be the park???s rollercoaster tester, along with what your favourite ride is and why. A panel of rollercoaster experts will judge the entries and decide who wins.

???We are renowned for our world-beating rollercoasters and have rides here that you can???t experience anywhere else in the world.

???Every morning before the park opens to the public, each ride goes through serious testing so we???re looking for someone that can take this on.

???They will need to be a huge fan of rides and have a very strong stomach as they???ll need to spend hours on our biggest and most famous rollercoasters.???

??? KATHERINE DUCKWORTH, FROM ALTON TOWERS RESORT
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post May 22nd, 2015, 2:26 am

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 16,738.00 Points
drayton manor already has someone doing a similar job- they test all the rides(i think)!

Post May 22nd, 2015, 9:51 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Hehe, I've seen that passing by. My first thought was: "Another one of Merlin's crazy marketing" :lol:

This job would be brilliant, if you literally lived right next to the park.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post May 22nd, 2015, 12:18 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
How the damn are you gonna reel someone in for more than 100 days straight of 8am attendance without pay... people are gonna be like "I'm totally fine with it" and two weeks later jump ship.

1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Post May 22nd, 2015, 12:42 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Isn't this the ride op's job? It was for me every morning at least.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post May 23rd, 2015, 10:25 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Yep, not really sure how this will work out if you won't get paid and have to do this every day for a while. :|

Post May 24th, 2015, 4:55 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Yea, I think they are gonna have issues finding someone for this.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions