Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Lightning Rod: Launched RMC Coming to Dollywood!

Lightning Rod: Launched RMC Coming to Dollywood!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,111.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
RMC without inversions... I'm certainly interested in seeing the outcome of this ride!
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Points on hand: 2,849.00 Points
mkingy wrote:
RMC without inversions... I'm certainly interested in seeing the outcome of this ride!

Less inversions = more airtime!!

There will be overbanks though!

Points on hand: 4,748.89 Points
chickenbowl wrote:
This launching RMC will not invert. I have source.

chickenbowl wrote:
3800' long, 162' tall. 12 moments of airtime. Inclined launch. We will know everything in 12 days. This is all I know. If I'm wrong I will never post again. Alan is my only source.

I know that Kings Island's next coaster will be a B&M Giga with an entrance near Racer and Vortex that is over 9000 feet long, has 69 moments of airtime, and is 420 feet tall. It will be called "weedblazermemezmachine4201488hielhitler" Both B&M and Kings Island personally messaged me on MySpace and ThemeParkReview with the account names "ActuallyBollniogerandMillarid" and "Dominion Island" with this information. This is really true. We will know everything in the year 1776 + 240. I will create a video of me consuming one of the worlds hottest sauces if I am not correct.
Mind Bender at SFOG is pretty great
Check out my WIP thread
Currently working on Thunderbolt, a second generation Schwarzkoph.

XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,273.01 Points
Her0ofLime wrote:
chickenbowl wrote:

chickenbowl wrote:
3800' long, 162' tall. 12 moments of airtime. Inclined launch. We will know everything in 12 days. This is all I know. If I'm wrong I will never post again. Alan is my only source.

I know that Kings Island's next coaster will be a B&M Giga with an entrance near Racer and Vortex that is over 9000 feet long, has 69 moments of airtime, and is 420 feet tall. It will be called "weedblazermemezmachine4201488hielhitler" Both B&M and Kings Island personally messaged me on MySpace and ThemeParkReview with the account names "ActuallyBollniogerandMillarid" and "Dominion Island" with this information. This is really true. We will know everything in the year 1776 + 240. I will create a video of me consuming one of the worlds hottest sauces if I am not correct.

Will the weedblazermemezmachine4201488heilhitler coaster have a wide selection of Taco Bell sauce packets in its queue line?
Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200
Coaster Count: 154 - Last Credit: Ragin' Cajun (Six Flags America)

Points on hand: 4,748.89 Points
XLR8R wrote:
Her0ofLime wrote:
chickenbowl wrote:

chickenbowl wrote:

Will the weedblazermemezmachine4201488heilhitler coaster have a wide selection of Taco Bell sauce packets in its queue line?

No, I messaged them back about this, and they said that the selections of sauces in the queue will be from the nearby "Thirsty's Oasis Bar and Grill" and "Chipotle Mexican Grill"
Mind Bender at SFOG is pretty great
Check out my WIP thread
Currently working on Thunderbolt, a second generation Schwarzkoph.

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Yea I never trust other enthusiasts about these sort of things. While you may be right, I won't believe it until the final announcement.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

mkingy User avatar

Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Points on hand: 5,149.54 Points

While that information about the ride seems suspiciously detailed (especially without providing a source), I'm still casting my vote as a launched RMC, or a launched woodie of some sort 8-). Can't wait for tomorrow!

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points

I guess I'll lock in my prediction (again). LSM Launched RMC with Topper Track, which would take that record, and perhaps the speed record as well.
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

chickenbowl wrote:
chickenbowl wrote:

I'm still standing by my claim/prediction! I think my stats should be about right. I can't wait to hear the announcement in 20 hours!

Ps- I wouldn't believe me if I were in your shoes, so I hold no offense to the skepticism. All I know is that after riding Outlaw Run on Sunday, and 3 other steel RMCs the previous 3 days, I'm certain that this could be the best wooden coaster in the world!!!

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
I think that your predictions are reasonable given the info available. Alan Schilke seemed to indicate he was developing a sort of launched cable lift, so I think that will likely be the propulsion method for the coaster. Given the hillside, a 162' drop seems possible, but perhaps not actual height. We'll find out tomorrow. I hope Dolly sings a song.

Paradox User avatar

Coming in 2016 the all new Great Smoky Mountain Loop Coaster!
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
lightningrod5.png

Dollywood today announced the addition of Lightning Rod, both the world???s fastest wood coaster and the world???s first launching wood coaster. Set to roll to the starting line in March 2016, Lightning Rod adds another groundbreaking roller coaster to the park???s already impressive portfolio of world-class attractions. The thrilling $22 million ride also marks the single largest attraction investment in The Dollywood Company???s history.

Themed after a tricked out 1950s-era hot rod, Lightning Rod launches riders from zero to 45 mph more than 20 stories up its lift hill to one of the ride???s first airtime moments. At the crest of the hill, riders face twin summit airtime hills before tackling the daring first drop. Lightning Rod races down the 165-foot drop and propels guests along its 3,800-ft. track to a top speed of 73 mph, the fastest speed for a wood coaster in the world.

???Lightning Rod reminds me so much of those colorful cars cruisin??? up and down Main Street in downtown Sevierville back when I was in high school. I remember all those souped up cars; but what I remember most were those good lookin??? boys behind the wheel with those flat top and ducktail haircuts,??? Dolly Parton said with a laugh.

???I???m truly excited about this ride because it will let our guests experience something just as fast as those hot rods I remember,??? she continued. ???Even better, it???s the fastest wooden roller coaster in the world, so I think we???re going to see a lot of people coming from all over to peel out on the Lightning Rod.???
Located in Dollywood???s Jukebox Junction, Lightning Rod rockets riders around its massive wooden structure on an adrenaline-charged lap through the trees in the hills and valleys surrounding Dollywood. During the ride, guests experience nearly 20 seconds of airtime. The coaster train is comprised of 12 cars, carrying two passengers each, for a total of 24 people per train.

Dollywood???s development team has tapped Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC) as the ride manufacturer. RMC is no stranger to out-of-the-box coaster projects, having designed a number of innovative attractions around the world. Lightning Rod employs several unique features including the lift hill launch, twin summit airtime hills, a 90+ degree banked breaking wave turn, a 90+ degree outside banked turn, and a non-inverting half loop.

Lightning Rod puts riders in the driver???s seat of Johnny Rev???s newest hot rod. After months of tinkering, Johnny invites Dollywood guests to step behind the wheel for the first test drive of his flashy new creation. Like any proper hot rod, massive header pipes and an imposing injector scoop peer out from the train???s flamed bodywork.

Lightning Rod is the newest member of The Dollywood Company???s collection of award-winning attractions. In March 2012, Dollywood opened the $20 million Wild Eagle, the country???s first wing coaster. The company introduced RiverRush, Tennessee???s first and only water coaster, at Dollywood???s Splash Country in 2013. FireChaser Express, the nation???s first dual-launch family coaster, was added at Dollywood in 2014. Dollywood mainstays Thunderhead, consistently among the world???s top five wood coasters, Mystery Mine, Blazing Fury and Tennessee Tornado round out the park???s list of innovative coasters.

lightningrod1.png
lightningrod2.png
lightningrod3.png
lightningrod4.png

^I caught that a few minutes before and I wanted to come in like "73 mph, 165 ft, non inverting half loop" and be right and everyone would think I'm involved with the park or psychic lol :lol:

You beat me to it though, it was going to be perfect and you ruined it lol
Last edited by Coaster Hero on August 7th, 2015, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's been a long time

Yay! Way to spoil the fun! :x

Anyways, the full announcement starts live right now! :D

It's official. Lightning Rod will be the worlds first launched wooden coaster, as well as the fastest. 73 mph, 165 ft drop. More to come! It looks FANTASTIC so far!

EDIT: IT has a quadruple drop!
Last edited by Coaster Hero on August 7th, 2015, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's been a long time

stevecoaster User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,031.00 Points

WOW :D :o, I can't believe what I am seeing.
Last edited by stevecoaster on August 7th, 2015, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vasco XTR

Paradox User avatar

Hot damn

Yea TTD you kind of spoiled it for everyone here lol.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

stevecoaster User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,031.00 Points

Paradox wrote:
Hot damn

Yea TTD you kind of spoiled it for everyone here lol.

I'm Blown away :o not that it's an RMC but how large and long it is.
Vasco XTR

It's the best launched wooden coaster I've ever seen ;)
It's been a long time

mkingy User avatar

TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
^ Yea, double down on Wicked Cyclone was crazy enough, imagine twice that, omg lol.

^Well it's sorta like Maverick's inclined launch and it's significantly faster so it's going to get some major airtime
It's been a long time

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!