Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Cedar Point: Guest Struck and Killed by Raptor

Cedar Point: Guest Struck and Killed by Raptor

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
https://www.facebook.com/cedarpoint/pos ... 6430476463

At approximately 5 p.m., a guest entered a restricted, fenced area of the Raptor roller coaster and was struck by the ride. Park safety officials responded immediately to the situation. Unfortunately the guest has passed away. Local authorities are on the scene conducting an investigation.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family at this time.

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Hope the B&M train is okay.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Points on hand: 849.00 Points
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
Hope the B&M train is okay.

what the hell :lol: and i just saw this on world news and its so sad to see people getting killed by rollercoasters so sad my prayers are with his family. :cry:

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Oh boy, it's SFOG all over again. Though I do feel bad for the guy who got killed, it was completely his fault. It was his decision to take the incredibly ill-advised risk of entering a restricted ride area, when there are fences, and with signs everywhere warning against it. It's ignorance, and unfortunately he paid the price. The wrong decision led to the wrong fate. Condolences to his friends and family

^^By the way, you are cold blooded mate :lol:
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

True Addicts
True Addicts

Coaster Hero wrote:
Oh boy, it's SFOG all over again.

No the decapitation there was way more metal than this.

Points on hand: 6,842.00 Points
Coaster Hero wrote:
Oh boy, it's SFOG all over again. Though I do feel bad for the guy who got killed, it was completely his fault. It was his decision to take the incredibly ill-advised risk of entering a restricted ride area, when there are fences, and with signs everywhere warning against it. It's ignorance, and unfortunately he paid the price. The wrong decision led to the wrong fate. Condolences to his friends and family

^^By the way, you are cold blooded mate :lol:

This is an extremely unfortunate thing to hear and my condolences do go out to his family and loved ones but like Coaster Hero stated, this was his own fault! Multiple fences, guard railings and "stay out/restricted area" typically means that you DON'T GO IN THERE... PERIOD! Forgive me if this sounds really harsh but some people are going to say this accident was due to "ignorance" but, I'm going to say that this was caused by stupidity and lack of common sense!

Once again, I am NOT trying to be a dick... I mean this in the most respectful way possible!
-DechLave T.P Ent.

Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,054.50 Points

This is the time for Cedar Point to stand up and sue the guest for negligent destruction of property, loss of use, and injury to reputation via negligence.

Start making an example out of these people. They are quick to sue us when something goes wrong, as an industry we should reciprocate when a guest goes above and beyond.

I hope that no guests on board the train were harmed and Cedar Point can patch up the paint on the train and put it back into service quickly.

True Addicts
True Addicts

DechLave wrote:
Once again, I am NOT trying to be a dick... I mean this in the most respectful way possible!

Or you could just not be respectful to an idiot. The bunghole killed himself and ruined many people's day with it. The poor ops in charge who had nothing to do with this and probably couldn't even see the area will get in trouble, and there will probably be some guilt issues as well.

And I'd like to add that I bet 100 dollars that the guest asked to go get his loose article, the staff said no, and then he went ahead and tried anyways.

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Guys it's okay. There's this special thing called "Natural Selection" and that was the force at play here.

Also here come the GP comments "OMG THERE ARE RAPTORS AT CEDAR POINT KILLING PEOPLE!!!!111!1"
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 15,401.90 Points
Those Facebook comments about how much of an idiot he is are quite insensitive, particularly for the family. At the same time I don't have much sympathy for someone who would deliberately go out of their way to a dangerous location, possibly for something that can easily be replaced, and when there are signs that clearly warn people not to trespass.
If he was in fact trying to commit suicide, then that would make those "what an idiot" comments so much more insensitive.

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

^I agree, insulting a guy who died, even given the current circumstances is low and crosses the line if you ask me.
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

True Addicts
True Addicts

(when referencing Ryan Dunn)

This was accurate^

Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,054.50 Points

B&M Trains are 3-0 so far against the humans. Don't think they hand out trophy's for it, but they do hand out Darwin Awards for the losers.

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
People act like this is the guy's fault when clearly this is the park's fault. The fence wasn't tall enough. They need to build a bigger fence and make Mexico pay for it.
1.Boulder Dash | 2.Legend(HW) | 3.Beast | 4.Ravine Flyer II | 5.Intimdator 305 | 6.Phoenix | 7.Twisted Timbers | 8.Wicked Cyclone | 9.Thunderhead | 10.Storm Chaser

True Addicts
True Addicts

Well does Mt. Olympus get a trophy for "most lucky park on the planet"? They're below the standards of Chinese knock-off parks that couldn't translate the manual into english properly.

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
Well does Mt. Olympus get a trophy for "most lucky park on the planet"?

I wonder this every time I hear of the place...
American Eagle Lover

True Addicts
True Addicts

Jonny Richey wrote:
Coasterkidmwm wrote:

I still think the dumbest incident on earth goes to Mindbender in Canada but yeah.

Paradox User avatar

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
Jonny Richey wrote:
Coasterkidmwm wrote:

I still think the dumbest incident on earth goes to Mindbender in Canada but yeah.

What exactly happened here? Didn't the train derail?
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

True Addicts
True Addicts

I believe it became not attached to the front axle, swung out like the Drifting Coaster concept Premier had, and then struck a support column. I really don't know much about the incident so consider this a "I read the wikipedia entry 7 years ago and this is what I remember" summary.

The park didn't maintain the ride at all and didn't even bother to translate the ride manual fro German to English. It was an oil service company scale-screw up.
Last edited by Coasterkidmwm on August 13th, 2015, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paradox User avatar

Wow that's horrible. But it's a good thing they got the ride up and running again. I would love to go there and ride it as I hear it pulls a lot of G's.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Points on hand: 229.00 Points
There are two fences in that area, one of which is around 6 feet tall and has warning signs on it. This photo I took is an example of how the fencing works. The tall fence is for low zones. This is near the cobra roll.

Mikey wrote:
This is the time for Cedar Point to stand up and sue the guest for negligent destruction of property, loss of use, and injury to reputation via negligence.

Start making an example out of these people. They are quick to sue us when something goes wrong, as an industry we should reciprocate when a guest goes above and beyond.

I hope that no guests on board the train were harmed and Cedar Point can patch up the paint on the train and put it back into service quickly.

A person died. You can't sue a dead person. And don't you think this person's death sets an example anyway?
I ride Raptor a lot.

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
While I agree that what this man did was not smart at all, my prayers are with his family, friends, and witnesses.

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I can't imagine being the person that hit them with their foot, if that's what happened. If it's hard enough to kill someone, it would be hard enough to break your foot or leg. Plus knowing you inadvertently killed someone.

I wonder at what point the political machine will outlaw all forms of inverted coasters.

I also wonder where incidents like this backtrack to. Like does it end up being the person's fault? Employee's fault? The park's fault? Even the manufacturer's fault?

True Addicts
True Addicts

tiepilot35 wrote:
I wonder at what point the political machine will outlaw all forms of inverted coasters.

You should work for Fox News if you're going to come up with blubber like that and never check your facts on anything.

It'll end up being the fault of the person who climbed the fence, and probably the fault of whoever was working queues that "wasn't paying attention" despite that the Sun was probably blinding him/her while they were busy being asked the same questions (5PM = blind there in some queues), and you can't really see anyways. Regardless, the idiot could have climbed over once the train was past the block brake (assuming this was in the helix), where a well timed ride stop press couldn't fix the situation anyways.

Anyone know which low zone it was? I'm assuming the one by the final cork/helix because it's the most easily accessible. If it's the cobra roll then no employees could see anything to stop it.

Hope the employees involved don't get fired or sent to Windseeker (a fate worse than termination).

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
I don't think that the B&M Invert needs a long bar thing under passenger's seats which may cause a fatal damage like SFOG's case.
Last edited by lol240 on August 14th, 2015, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions