Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Whats the roughest steel coaster you've been on?

Whats the roughest steel coaster you've been on?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post July 15th, 2004, 10:52 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,574.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Klondike at Drayton Manor is by far the roghest ride I have been on. It has stupidly tight drops and turns Escpecially if you sit in the back like I did and, its all made worse by the fact that the cars are so small that you can;t fit your amrs inside the car without them being crushed between the harness or the side of that car [lol] proper class ride, its so rough that its just funny [lol] Proper Bo! [:)]

http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery815.htm

Post July 15th, 2004, 12:08 pm

Points on hand: 3,352.00 Points
I havent been on that many coasters, so it would either be the Corkscrew at Alton Towers, or Pepsi Max Big One.

Post July 15th, 2004, 1:44 pm

Points on hand: 4,300.00 Points

If you push your upper body against the OTSR and keep your head in front of the restraints, almost every coaster is enjoyable. The roughest i've been on was prlly Zonga, but it's actually very smooth if you ride it like this.

Superwirbel at Holliday Park has really bad transitions, and the orange train on Expedition GeForce "rattles" a lot, it almost gives you a "woddy feel". Actually, I think it adds to the intensity of EGF, I still prefer the yellow train though.

Post July 16th, 2004, 12:40 am

Points on hand: 4,606.00 Points
Originally posted by CompuWiz

I think my roughest steely is the Vortex at Paramount Canada's Wonderland.

Vortex? you could almost fall alseep on that thing it was so smoth, (cept your getting thrown around lol)

i would have to say that dragon mountain at marineland in niagra falls is the roughest i've been on. It has one really powerful trick-track and one banking transition in the last tunnel that gives ya a really good smack to the one side if your not carful.

and after all that you get thrown into a bow-tie loop which smacks ya around some more, while giving great possitive G's.

Post July 17th, 2004, 7:38 pm

Points on hand: 2,671.00 Points

Points on hand: 15,401.90 Points
T2/3 at Kentucky Kingdom, hands down. T3 isn't any smoother than when it was T2, except the head banging is gone now. I don't mind rough rides, but it was not worth the slower-than-Duke-Nukem-Forever's-development line that was caused by having only 1 train available (thank you good Samaritan who let me in front of you) and I wanted to get back to the waterpark.

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Green Lantern at SFMM. That ride is literal poo.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ Yeah, many people think so! :lol:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Invertigo at Kings Island. Headbanging, headbanging, and more headbanding, even in the straight-ish sections. While I've ridden a number of rough coasters, Invertigo is the only one rough to the point where I never want to ride it again.
thumb_image_11986.jpg

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Goliath at SFNE with the new deathtrap trains that the park added for no good reason at all.

It's amazing how a train can take a ride from amazing to horrible.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

I hate to say it because it used to be one of my favorites, but, Matterhorn has gotten really bad over the years. The new bobsleds don't help either. They are extremely uncomfortable and just add to the pain of what has now become unofficially known as "spine cracker" mountain. In a close second is canyon blaster at adventuredome. The transitions are painful to say the least and the whole ride just feels like a sloppy manufacturing job.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Points on hand: 6,689.00 Points
Vortex at Kings Island. No Questions asked.
Attachments
Pki-vortex-aerial.jpg
Drummer, Guitarist, Coaster Enthusiast and a metal head??
126 Credits and counting!
Creator of MK Media on all social media platforms!

Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 32.00 Points
Bank: 4,860.00 Points
I know that I am going to get a lot of hate for this one, but the roughest steel coaster that I personally have been on would be Maverick at Cedar Point, followed very closely by Mantis at CP

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Yeah, Intamin is actually "artificially rough" when we feel like getting flung out at every quick transition! ;)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Mr. Freeze wrote:
I know that I am going to get a lot of hate for this one, but the roughest steel coaster that I personally have been on would be Maverick at Cedar Point, followed very closely by Mantis at CP

Maverick doesn't have the death rattle Mantis had in the back of the train lol
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Mr Freeze can you further explain why you would say Maverick is the roughest you've been on? It's actually really smooth as are most Intamins, but there is a lot of directional-changing whip, which is not necessarily the same as roughness.

I agree Mantis and now Rougarou is somewhat rough, especially in the back like ckid mentioned. I have, however, had really great rides on Rou in the front row; I'll always ride it there.

My answer would be any of the few Vekoma SLCs I've been on. Their inverted boomerangs, both giant and face-off, actually fare pretty well in my opinion. Their sit down traditional boomerangs can sometimes be rough depending on their age or whatever it may be. But the SLCs are like a new entire class of roughness. It's like, the tolerance of the wheel bogies is frighteningly loose and the track is shaped worse somehow and there are loose bolts in the car that allow the low-hanging seats to rattle around like a set of cheap glass plates in an earthquake.
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

True Addicts
True Addicts

I'm going to take the bait and defend Rougarou:

Okay Rougarou in the back has the same "whipping" thing you mentioned with Maverick. If a bunch of photoshopped pictures came out saying they rebuilt the whole ride Incredible Hulk style and I lived under a rock I'd believe them. Raptor is now probably rougher by those standards.

For whatever reason B&M really liked adding that shitty figure 8 ending to standup rides, as Mantis improved on Iron Wolf, which had the original flailing direction changes thing but with less heartlining and then trying to have floater air, and Georgia Scorcher got it "right" by not trying to do the whipping thing B&M loves, or perhaps since it's not plodding along like a "first coaster" with not enough speed made on NL like Mantis did. I went on Rougarou 5 times in varying seats and each time everyone who had never been on the ride were astonished that it was now a tolerable ride.

The difference between Rougarou and Mantis is night and day. Something was fundamentally wrong with the trains on Mantis and I could never quite figure it out. There were definitely days when the death rattle was much worse than others and it never lined up with weather or humidity. All of 2014 the drop trim was off and nobody seemed to notice or say it was notably rougher than in the past.

Where are the B&M trains made? I'm wondering if the factory occasionally just produces a shitty batch from time to time due to time constraints or whatever as I've heard Scream is pretty rattley too for no good reason, and that ride has everything going for it conditions-wise to help keep it smooth. People can't blame Scream on SFMM because by that logic the rest of the B&Ms that are worked on by the same mechanics should run like rattley ass as well.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bobsleds-708810-ride-configuration.html

Since its re-opening in 2012 after a major refurbishment, Matterhorn earned the rep as one of the most uncomfortable coasters ever. hopefully, this changes things a bit. IMO they should have kept the 2nd gen bobsleds anyway, those were super comfortable.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
spacemountainfan619 wrote:

Since its re-opening in 2012 after a major refurbishment, Matterhorn earned the rep as one of the most uncomfortable coasters ever. hopefully, this changes things a bit. IMO they should have kept the 2nd gen bobsleds anyway, those were super comfortable.

Wow, those trains look rubbish and would cut down capacity by nearly half. The queue was already going slow, now it would be even worse...
Matterhorn was a fantastic ride with the old configuration, damn so called "safely measures" to make sure the idiots stay buckled in...
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Dirk_Ermen wrote:
spacemountainfan619 wrote:

Wow, those trains look rubbish and would cut down capacity by nearly half. The queue was already going slow, now it would be even worse...
Matterhorn was a fantastic ride with the old configuration, damn so called "safely measures" to make sure the idiots stay buckled in...

Actually, since Matterhorn opened in 2012 with the new configuration, it hasn't really changed the wait time. Only 2 seats per train were removed, my only major complaint is there is now only 1 queue that feeds both the left (tomorrowland) side and the right (fantasyland) side. I miss the old choose your side queue, but, average wait is still about the same. 20-30 mins during the week/non peak season, and 45-60+ during weekends/peak season. The new sleds are quite a bit more uncomfortable though, and the tracks are definitely showing their age. Still, i have to ride almost every time I go.

Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

tiepilot35 wrote:
Mr Freeze can you further explain why you would say Maverick is the roughest you've been on? It's actually really smooth as are most Intamins, but there is a lot of directional-changing whip, which is not necessarily the same as roughness.

Sorry about the late response, been busy with other things in life recently. Its not the ride itself that was rough, but it was the restraints that killed me, especially going through all the transitions. When I got off the ride, I had bruises on my body from the restraint going through the ride. (this was in 2013 btw, so it still had the old intamin restraint system on the ride)

True Addicts
True Addicts

You'll love the vests if you're ever there again. It's like a whole new ride.

Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Ill be going back in August. Ive heard a lot of good things about the vest restraints on it, so i guess we'll just have to wait and see then

Points on hand: 4,689.00 Points
Bank: 1,372.00 Points

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
Mind Eraser at Six Flags New England and Darien Lake come to mind.

And also Super Flight at Rye Playland. It's not the absolute roughest (still really rough), but there are a hundred other things wrong with it. The volare over at Coney Island isn't nearly as bad (still terrible though).
1.Boulder Dash | 2.Legend(HW) | 3.Beast | 4.Ravine Flyer II | 5.Intimdator 305 | 6.Phoenix | 7.Twisted Timbers | 8.Wicked Cyclone | 9.Thunderhead | 10.Storm Chaser

PreviousNext

Return to General Theme Park Discussions