Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Lightning Rod: Launched RMC Coming to Dollywood!

Lightning Rod: Launched RMC Coming to Dollywood!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
My own feeling for Lightning Rod is like, why is this Launched RMC facing "out of comprehension" problems while the RMC Joker is now ready to keep us amused? Way too different.

Mixed feelings. :sad:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Points on hand: 3,410.00 Points
^ Probably because RMC doesn't know how to work a launch.

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
That stupid overspeed rumor keeps popping up. Now it's on screamscape.

Since I've personally witnessed the ever so fun "over-speed in main" breakdown and how it'll totally freak out a ride computer I really doubt it's magically 7mph over. That's way too severe.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Points on hand: 3,266.00 Points
I'd only believe it if I see it myself. But good god, crank that biotch up to 80mph and that would be a #1 ride
Lightning Rod|Intimidator 305|Fury 325|Twisted Timbers|Storm Chaser|Wicked Cyclone|Skyrush|Maverick|El Toro|Voyage

Points on hand: 9,972.00 Points
A 7 mph difference would probably cause red-out-inducing negative Gs, considering that this ride seems to already have some intense airtime even without that kind of speed increase. Also don't really believe the ride could possibly go that fast, because that means the launch is probably like 20 mph faster, which is near impossible.
mkingy wrote:
Yoda was famously quoted as saying:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must
Sith will prevail, otherwise

Fluorometholone

Yeah, I assume that such speed difference is also something to do with intensity at those winding turns.

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,111.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
AmatsuNL wrote:
A 7 mph difference would probably cause red-out-inducing negative Gs, considering that this ride seems to already have some intense airtime even without that kind of speed increase. Also don't really believe the ride could possibly go that fast, because that means the launch is probably like 20 mph faster, which is near impossible.

Yeah I agree, these rides are calculated so that in the very extreme (best) situations that they're not going to be inducing unsafe g forces. For RMC who push the limits (as we know they tend to) I think your right in saying 7mph would make a huge difference.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
I'm at the park right now, saw employees riding Lightning Rod about an hour ago.

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
>Inb4 Smiler v2
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

True Addicts
True Addicts

I have more faith in their training.

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

JUST RODE LIGHTNING ROD!! Absolutely phenomenal! Forceful, intense, out of control, airtime galore! My new favorite woodie! Congrats to Dollywood and RMC on a job well-done!

^ OUR GREATEST NEWS! :D

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Okay, here's my full Lightning Rod review:

I had been walking past the ride about every hour or so since I was aware of the rumors that it might soft open today. When I walked by around 12:45, I noticed that there were people on the ride that didn't look like employees. After looking around for a bit, I saw an employee handing out boarding passes to ride during the technical ride rehearsal session. I was able to get one, and then proceeded up the steps to the station. Waited there for a minute, then I was assigned a seat in the fifth row. As the train pulled out of the station, everyone on the train was going nuts. Then we headed up the launched lift hill. The launch wasn't mind-blowing, but it is one of the better launches I've experienced. The first drop was awesome with great air! The first banked turned after the lift hill was the only spot where I felt the ride let up at all (still a fun element). After that, it was pedal-to-the-metal all the way to the end, with a layout full of speed, intensity, airtime, quick transitions, and the out-of-control feeling. This might also be the smoothest coaster I've ridden, no roughness whatsoever. The best part of the ride for me was by far the quad-down, full of great ejector air! The last turn before the brake run was just icing on the cake. The train was roaring with applause as we returned to the station. A few hours later, I'm still shocked that it happened. I wouldn't have been able to come back tomorrow because my flight back home leaves tomorrow morning, so the fact that I got to ride it is almost a miracle. Overall, Lightning Rod is truly an amazing coaster. It's my new favorite wooden coaster and my #2 coaster overall (out of 85 coasters), with Fury 325 being the only coaster I rank higher. Huge thanks to Dollywood, Rocky Mountain Construction, and everyone else involved with this project. I would certainly recommend making a trip out to Dollywood to ride it, but I would wait until they officially announce an opening date (hopefully tomorrow or sometime this week) before making plans if you aren't a local.

image_2325.jpg

image_2329.jpg

True Addicts
True Addicts

Watch it catastrophically break down tomorrow lol. Glad it's finally open and the one review I've seen is so positive.

Points on hand: 4,033.00 Points
I figured that once people actually got to ride it, all of the complaining about delays would be drowned out by praise for this awesome looking ride. Can't wait to get over there to experience this monster!
Intamin: The Force Awakens.

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
I'm honestly a little surprised it's already taking riders, but that is excellent news. Perhaps a Memorial Day opening is possible. This is probably the most anticipated ride of 2016 and it definitely sounds like it delivers. At this point, I'm unfortunately unsure if I'll be able to make it to Dollywood this year but it is definitely on my list.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Points on hand: 2,153.00 Points
just take out the launch and put in a 20mph lift :) done and done... still a lift launch XD

Blase Rhine User avatar

Points on hand: 30,499.00 Points

Oh my god...

Sometimes I dream of unicorns and oreos

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Awesome! I'd think they'll have enough testing with riders done to have it open for memorial day weekend. It's going so fast on that quad down ugh.
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

^^ & ^ They now know how to make a legit program for a proper launch, so I believe that they will produce the "Launched Zero-G-Roll" like the Hulk in the future!

:D

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,111.00 Points
That looks dirt quick, like even the final little ramp into the brakes looks fast.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,619.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

^ Yeah, that's exactly what we CC goers and all coaster fanatics want! 5/28/2016: We're still hankering for that "spectacular" P.O.V!

8-)
Last edited by lol240 on May 28th, 2016, 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

True Addicts
True Addicts

I'm kinda surprised one hasn't been dumped on youtube yet

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Screamscape is reporting that Lightning Rod is having troubles with the launch again. :|
2016 - Lightning Rod - (5/29/16) I don't feel confident enough in the information to go into too many details, but Screamscape sources tell us that Lightning Rod is having some difficulties with the launch system that are being addressed. No word on when the limited testing may begin again, as it could be any day now, or it could be a couple of weeks... as everyone is under the gun to get this ride up and running ASAP.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/dollywood.htm

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!