Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Carowinds New Coaster Name

Carowinds New Coaster Name

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post January 16th, 2004, 8:15 pm

Points on hand: 2,740.00 Points

I dont know i would have liked Star Trak Nemesis but this is ok still

Coming in 2004 to Paramount's Carowinds

Charlotte, N.C. (January 15, 2004) ?????? For centuries, man has searched the heavens, seeking proof of other forms of life and wondering when they will make first contact with our planet.

That time is now. They are not friendly. They are BORG.

Paramount ??????s Carowinds introduces BORG Assimilator, a multi-million dollar flying roller coaster that combines a deep space adventure with state-of-the art attraction technology. Nearly 40 years after the introduction of one of the most popular television franchises of all time, BORG Assimilator emerges as the first roller coaster in the world to feature a theme from the Star Trek universe. The attraction opens to the public this spring.

The BORG Collective is an immensely powerful group of cybernetically enhanced beings that gain knowledge and technology by absorbing other species. They are infamous throughout the Star Trek universe as the most dangerous, insidious and unstoppable alien threat to mankind.

Warping to our time period through a rift in the space-time continuum, the BORG crash-landed in the middle of Paramount ??????s Carowinds and their ship ?????? a giant gray and black sphere ?????? has come to rest near the park??????s new flying roller coaster.

The BORG Collective beckons riders across the landscape of the island and into the loading station. Once inside, guests board 24-passenger coaster trains and are rotated backward to a reclining position before beginning their ascent to the top of a 115-foot, 30-degree lift hill. Anticipation builds as the coaster crests the lift hill, inverts and turns guests facedown, suspending them below the track in a superhero-like flying position and racing toward the ground at speeds of up to 50 m.p.h.

Through 2,781 feet of curves, drops and sweeping turns, riders tour the crash site where the BORG sphere ?????? made up of a web-like structure of inhuman, biomechanical parts ?????? sits at the end of a blackened, charred path of destruction. The beginning of the BORG takeover is evident as the coaster??????s track, queue line and loading station appear in an ominous gray, black and green.

??????There??????s only one chance to be the first, so we feel especially honored to be the first theme park in the world to have a roller coaster that carries the Star Trek brand,?????? said Dale Kaetzel, vice president of marketing & assistant general manager of Paramount ??????s Carowinds. ??????BORG Assimilator gives our guests a unique opportunity ?????? to experience the sensations of free flight without the traditional boundaries of a roller coaster. As you look out over the park, you get a virtually unobstructed view of the landscape, and you are continually surprised at where the experience takes you.??????

BORG Assimilator is Paramount ??????s Carowinds?????? 12th roller coaster and represents another multi-million dollar investment in new attractions at the theme park. Designed by Vekoma International of the Netherlands , the coaster is the tallest in the park and includes eight inversions ?????? more than any other roller coaster in the Southeast.

Post January 16th, 2004, 8:16 pm

BORG ASSIMILATOR?????????
FLYING ROLLER COASTER
FACT SHEET

RIDE DESCRIPTION: The Carolinas ????????? first flying coaster is also the tallest roller coaster in the park and the first roller coaster in the world to carry a Star Trek theme. It soars riders through eight inversions, most while flying facedown, zooming toward the ground and turning skyward just in time for the next inversion. The unique rider position offers breathtaking and virtually unobstructed views of the park.

MANUFACTURER: Vekoma Rides Manufacturing b.v.

The Netherlands

TRACK LENGTH: 2,781 feet (more than half a mile)

HIGHEST PEAK: 115 feet (11 ????????? stories)

MAXIMUM SPEED: 51 m.p.h.

RIDE DURATION: 2 minutes, 47 seconds
NUMBER OF TRAINS: 2

TRAIN LENGTH: 48 feet

NUMBER OF RIDERS

PER TRAIN: 24 (Six rows of four)

SEAT ANGLES: In station (start of ride): 60-0 degrees

Top of lift (angle of lift) as train enters curve: 30 degrees
At braking: 0 degrees

In station (end of ride): 0-60 degrees

INVERSIONS: 8 (More than any coaster in the Southeast)

Includes:

One 68-foot-tall vertical loop

One 110-degree horseshoe inversion Two corkscrews

Four 180-degree inversions

RIDE RESTRICTIONS: Riders must be between 54????????? and 80????????? tall with a maximum weight of 265 lbs.

CONSTRUCTION

DATA: 1,102 tons of steel

Post January 17th, 2004, 4:57 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,903.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

thanks for the information, it looks and sounds rather cool. Looking forward to the addition.

Post January 26th, 2004, 11:05 pm

Points on hand: 4,163.00 Points

2+mins. on a flying rollercoaster?sounds like it might hurt with that kinda time.

Post January 26th, 2004, 11:58 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

I rode a Vekoma Flying Dutchman before, and it doesn't hurt at all. They're pretty comfortable, and way better than the B&M ones.

Post January 27th, 2004, 7:41 pm

Points on hand: 4,774.00 Points

Post January 27th, 2004, 9:04 pm

Points on hand: 4,183.00 Points

Actually, this is just a relocation of "Stealth" from Paramount's Great America in California. According to RCDB. And its the Flying Dutchman 843m Prototype.

Post January 27th, 2004, 9:24 pm

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points
basically, they moved stealth and repainted it becuase that's what i originally thought. right?

Post January 27th, 2004, 10:31 pm

Post January 31st, 2004, 9:26 pm

Points on hand: 3,673.00 Points

Hello all,
Just for the record Carowinds is my home park as I live just 20 minutes away from it.
Our Borg Assimilator is the actual Stealth from Paramount's Great America and is the 843m Prototype. Paramount has really been working hard on changing thier parks to meet the ever demanding public. Some of you may have been sent surveys as I have and if you pay attention they are giving us what we want the best they can. I know the majority wants to go the route of a Movie Studio, as I do, and it seems that is what they plan on doing over the next 5 years.
Borg (aka Stealth) is now Black and Green (Borg Poster from Paramount) and the entire site will be themed as a crash area complete with Borg Sphere. If you go to www.carowinds.com you can see the updated pictures.
The trains were sent out for refurbishing and adjustments and should be back soon as the track is now 100% assembled. The new eye candy that will surround this ride should make it a bit more exiting than just a coaster.

Post January 31st, 2004, 10:45 pm

meh, theming doesn't really help a ride's excitement IMO

Post February 4th, 2004, 3:37 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

Post February 4th, 2004, 3:48 pm

Points on hand: 4,774.00 Points

i wonder if the corkscrews are now barrel rolls like the other one's i.e. X-Flight

Post February 4th, 2004, 4:25 pm

Points on hand: 4,391.00 Points
It's hard to tell if it has the corks still there or not, my guess they will be. I've been on X-Flight and I think its a good edition to Carowinds, they needed another fun ride.

Post February 4th, 2004, 4:56 pm

screamomatic, this coaster is going to be great, but from someone who thinks SFMM is the best I would expect you wouldn't like something this good.

About the corkscrews, of course they're going to be there, a relocation means its the same exact coaster you know [;)]

Post February 7th, 2004, 9:57 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

well sorry if i offended u but i just wanna ride X and viper or even goliath. have u been there?

Post February 10th, 2004, 7:35 pm

i dont think Viper is that great but X and Goliath are pretty good

Post February 10th, 2004, 11:32 pm

I've heard from people that have rode X that it isn't very good...doesn't look too great either.

Goliath is pretty boring, I'd ride Viper over it any day. Viper has lateral gs, negative gs, and positive gs, goliath doesn't have all of those [;)]

Post February 11th, 2004, 7:30 am

Points on hand: 3,673.00 Points

In other news from Paramount, as of last weekends Eastcoaster, the announced that all of their Theaters were getting 100% renovated with state of the art vidoe screens, sound, and seating. They are being transformed into an interactive movie set where guests get to partake in some of the Paramount's movies. From what I gathered this will be among the lines of the Theater at MGM Studios.
It is nice to see our Theater is finally getting used again and I welcome this addition.
Only 37 days left!!

Post February 11th, 2004, 9:42 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

yeah, I think there taking Paramount's Great America's Stealth and moving it to Carolina

---3 years, it was around for 3 freaking years and then they closed it down

Post February 11th, 2004, 11:36 pm

yeah, I think there taking Paramount's Great America's Stealth and moving it to Carolina

You just found that out?

Return to General Theme Park Discussions