Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Trip Reports Trip Report: Arnolds Park - 7/26/2016

Trip Report: Arnolds Park - 7/26/2016

Visited a theme park and have a wild time?!? Post your trip report here and tell us all about it!

Post August 14th, 2016, 2:37 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
A few weeks ago while on my way down to visit the family, I decided to make a slight detour and visit Arnolds Park for the first time. Despite living fairly close to this park for a few years, I never actually bothered to visit the park until last month. It's a small park that's in the middle of nowhere in northern Iowa, but despite that, I did enjoy the few rides that I went on as well as the nice old-school environment. The park's only major coaster is The Legend, a wooden coaster that was built in 1930 (currently the 13th oldest coaster in the world) and designed by John Miller. A few years ago, it was given a retrack by GCI, and while I obviously never rode it before the retrack, it looks like it has definitely help the ride because it was honestly one of the smoothest wooden coasters I've been on. I enjoyed the ride itself, was especially surprised with the floater airtime it had, especially in the back seat. In addition to The Legend, they have several other rides, of which I rode three. Overall, it's a nice park for what it is, and while it isn't really worth going out of your way for, if you ever find yourself in the area, it is a fun place to spend a few hours.

Nice entrance.
thumb_image_3288.jpg

My main reason for coming.
thumb_image_3289.jpg

Due to my poor planning, I had to wait in a 15-minute line to get a ride wristband. ;)
thumb_image_3290.jpg

Heading into the park.
thumb_image_3292.jpg

First order of business.
thumb_image_3293.jpg

Creepy. :|
thumb_image_3294.jpg

Overall a fun coaster, very smooth with some nice air. Especially liked that it had buzzbars.
image_3295.jpg

The Point of No Return.
thumb_image_3296.jpg

Up next was the park's log flume, Boji Falls Log Ride. Didn't get very wet, but the final drop was fun.
thumb_image_3297.jpg

The more I ride log flumes, the more I like them. :)
thumb_image_3298.jpg

Their Roll-O-Plane was just weird. :|
thumb_image_3300.jpg

Their Tilt-a-Whirl runs a crazy program. Lasted for a while and pulled some nice Gs.
thumb_image_3301.jpg

Time for more rides on The Legend.
thumb_image_3303.jpg

Hard to see it from here, but the text on the fire extinguisher says "Big Scary Legendary Roller Coaster". :lol:
thumb_image_3304.jpg

Advertising on the train? Must be a Six Flags park. ;)
thumb_image_3305.jpg

View of their carousel from the station.
thumb_image_3306.jpg

The park is along the shores of Lake Okoboji.
thumb_image_3307.jpg

thumb_image_3308.jpg

thumb_image_3309.jpg

thumb_image_3310.jpg

Little Coaster is the park's kiddie coaster. I was too tall for it, even if I wasn't, wouldn't have ridden it anyway.
thumb_image_3311.jpg

One thing that surprised me was how minimal their safety checks were. They don't do nearly the amount of safety checks I have to do as a ride op at Valleyfair.
thumb_image_3312.jpg

Rode it 11 times due to nonexistent lines.
thumb_image_3313.jpg

In the end, Arnolds Park is a nice little park with a pleasant atmosphere and good wooden coaster. Might have to come back in a year or two.
thumb_image_3314.jpg

Thanks for reading! :)

Post August 14th, 2016, 5:32 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
One impressive photo of a park entrance with the All-American-looking train "proudly" flying over! :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post August 14th, 2016, 6:58 pm

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
Legend seems like a good coaster. Sucks that the hills aren't as crazy steep in spots as they used to be, but it seems like GCI did a decent job
1.Boulder Dash | 2.Legend(HW) | 3.Beast | 4.Ravine Flyer II | 5.Intimdator 305 | 6.Phoenix | 7.Twisted Timbers | 8.Wicked Cyclone | 9.Thunderhead | 10.Storm Chaser

Post August 15th, 2016, 8:07 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,058.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Post August 15th, 2016, 12:47 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
I must ride a Roll-o-Plane and a Rock-o-Plane in the near future. They look like insane and sketchy rides.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post August 17th, 2016, 3:02 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Wow Rock-O-Plane is like a crazily flipping Zipper! :shock:
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Return to Theme Park Trip Reports