Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster Lifts, Brakes And Lims Article!

Lifts, Brakes And Lims Article!

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post March 4th, 2004, 6:54 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Hi y'all

Ive written a new article on how to create those perfect lifts, brakes and lims. The article is directed more a newbies, so might not be too helpful to some of the more professional guys ;)

Anyways
coastercrazy.com Users Click Here CoasterCrazy.Com Users Click Here

Post March 4th, 2004, 7:02 pm

Points on hand: 2,236.00 Points
Great artical for the n00bs, The Edge. Even for those of you who think you're 'too good' to read this artical, you might even learn just little things that could help you build a better coaster. Good job.

Post March 4th, 2004, 8:31 pm

Points on hand: 1,968.00 Points

That is a great job explaining the lift, Basically this is something that most of us had to learn by trial and error. taught me a couple of tricks that I wasn't using b/f. Thanks for the article Edge

Post March 4th, 2004, 8:37 pm

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points

Post March 4th, 2004, 11:33 pm

Points on hand: 3,503.00 Points
Not to be mean, but there's a lot of NoNos in there.
Examples:
Hysteresis 1 - no good. Nervous brake
short brakes on hills - no good. Crash
MCBR 3/4 through the track - no good. bad timing (and therefor need for short brakes on hills)
Wheels on MCBRs - unrealistic (exceptions though, no doubt)

Buster.

Post March 5th, 2004, 5:45 am

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

aight foo, btw what does hysteresis do/mean its the one thing i dont know what it really does. Someone just told me it should always be low...

Also by short brakes, are you referring to block brakes? If so, from my experience block brakes realisticly can be placed anywheew ona ride. Take AIR at alton towers for example. It has a block brake at the bottom of a drop as it goes through the ground
http://www.coasterforce.com/altonaug/2/DSCF0072.JPG
you can just see the top section of the track where the brake parts are. There is also another block brake after the inline twist, but i cant find a pictre of that. So im not quite sure what you mean about the brake being bad on top of the hill [approve]

Post March 5th, 2004, 12:44 pm

Points on hand: 3,503.00 Points
That's a trimbrake, not a blockbrake.

It's perfectly ok to use trimbrakes, but if you do "block" has to be disabled.
If you use a short brake and have it a block, the possibilty of a crash is very high since the short brake can't stop a train. Only MCBRs that can completely stop a train should be a blockbrake.

Hysteresis:
"A ?????????Brake????????? is a 2-point control device, which means there are only 2 states: on and off. If the brake is on it will decelerate the train at a certain rate that can be modified. If the brake is off it will not affect the train at all. The brake is switched on by the 2 point control device if the speed of the incoming train is greater than Speed limit + Hysteresis and will be switched off if the speed is lower than Speed limit ????????? Hysteresis. As the Hysteresis gets smaller the speed will be controlled more accurately, but the brake will be more active. "
Taken directly from the helpfile.

In other words: If brakespeed is 20 and hysteresis is 5. A train running has to have a speed of 25+ for the brake to trigger. The train is then decelerated to 15 before the brake releases. A train runing through the brake at 0-25 will not be braked.

If you now set hysteresis to 1, a train might enter at 22, get braked to 19, but on the long way through the brake it might gain enough speed to trigger the brake a second time at 22 and therefor you get a nervous brake. really depends on the length and steepness of the brake.

Buster.

Post March 5th, 2004, 4:17 pm

Points on hand: 4,774.00 Points

Great Job Edge on the article and Buster on the hysterisi explanation.

Post March 5th, 2004, 7:48 pm

Points on hand: 4,190.00 Points

I usually set the hysterisis fairly low...but then again, I make my brake pads level and activate the friction wheels, thus causing the train to spend more time level and pick up less speed as it exits the brakes. So...it's all good in the long run.

Post March 5th, 2004, 9:21 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,299.00 Points

what the heck is hysterisis[?][sillyme]

>[}:)]<<GRIM>>[}:)]<

Post March 5th, 2004, 9:57 pm

Points on hand: 4,774.00 Points

Return to No Limits Coaster