Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Cedar Fair buying SFWOA ?

Cedar Fair buying SFWOA ?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post March 10th, 2004, 5:08 pm

Points on hand: 3,673.00 Points

Just read this story. Is it true?

http://www.cedarfair.com/public/news/story.cfm?id=154

They are also selling thier European Assets. Hmm. Does that mean they are going to beef up the other parks or are they just getting out of debt?
Last edited by Foreseer on March 10th, 2004, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post March 10th, 2004, 6:31 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

From what I've heard, SFWoA was losing money and wasn't making any profit, so CF bought it from them. Yes it is a true story.

They're probably going to ruin Big Dipper [:(] We can say bye to the best trains that are currently in operation today (The NADs on Big Dipper), and there goes all Big Dippers great airtime too [:(!]

Post March 10th, 2004, 6:39 pm

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points
im pretty sure this was posted in the real coaster fourm awhile ago, there'll probibally be more info there

Post March 10th, 2004, 6:40 pm

no it wasnt, that was about Busch purchasing SFWoA, which isnt true.

Post March 10th, 2004, 6:42 pm

Points on hand: 4,490.00 Points

Im glad cedar fair in my opinion is way better than any six flags

Post March 10th, 2004, 6:43 pm

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points

Post March 11th, 2004, 10:15 am

Points on hand: 4,653.00 Points
I liked the park WAY better before Six Flags bought it out - it was called Geauga Lake and had a much better atmosphere and overall maintenence than it had as Six Flags. Big Dipper was also there before Six Flags came in, so I don't think CF will change it. I heard they want to change the name back to Geauga Lake, so hopefully they will try to bring the same feel back as well. It was just a great park to go to if you wanted to ride some great coasters, but didn't want the "big park" hassle of Cedar Point.

Post March 11th, 2004, 5:27 pm

I completely agree that Geauga Lake was better before SF bought it. Traditional parks are sooo much better than commercial parks....I don't think that CF can bring the same feel as the park originally had, just because they focus only on making money and they make rides that are so different than the good stuff like traditional coasters and other rides.

Post March 11th, 2004, 5:35 pm

Points on hand: 3,673.00 Points

I agree with you both. I am originaly from Ashtabula and went there quite often with my parents. I have only been twice since it was Six Flags and did not like it as much. Hopefully they can bring back the charm.

Post March 11th, 2004, 6:50 pm

Points on hand: 4,300.00 Points

Originally posted by IntaminFan397

I don't think that CF can bring the same feel as the park originally had, just because they focus only on making money

So small parks are small because they don't focus on making money?
Who needs money anyway...[;)]

Post March 11th, 2004, 7:10 pm

I said they focus only on making money. Take Knoebels for example, thats probably top 3 park material, they make money by letting their guests have fun by not stapling them, not overcharging food prices, taking care of their wood coasters, and not taming their coasters. If CF had Phoenix or Twister in one of their parks everyone in the CF management would have a heart attack because of all the airtime [lol]

Post March 11th, 2004, 7:20 pm

Points on hand: 1,434.00 Points

If Cedar fair buys all the stuff, wouldn't rides like batman and other names that most six flags parks use be changed and rethemed to match the cedar fair chain?

Post March 11th, 2004, 7:23 pm

Points on hand: 2,585.00 Points
You would think so, although retheming entire sections of the park does seem like a lot of effort.

Post March 12th, 2004, 10:37 pm

Points on hand: 2,167.00 Points
Ok, hopefull this will answer all your questions.

Yes, Cedar Fair L.P. is certainly buying Six Flags Worlds of Adventure for $145 million. They are obtaining the park and water park only, and will have entire ownership of everything. However, Six Flags is keeping the animals and livestock, along with the trademarks. So the animals are all going bye-bye.

The park will instantly be named Geauga Lake. Opening day this season will be May 1st, a week before Cedar Point, on May 8th. Some ride names will be changed, some will not. There are no big plans for the park for the 2004 season. Also, your Cedar Point season pass WILL NOT be active at Geauga Lake for 2004, and vice versa. However, it is most likely it will work in the 2005 season. I think that's about it.[:D]

I don't know about you guys, but I'll be up at both parks on both opening days!

Post March 12th, 2004, 11:14 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,299.00 Points

what do you the chances are of CP and SFWOA "joining" or merging. and here's a little somthing i found on rcdb

All of this was done presumably to compete Cedar Point which is about an hour's drive away. It is pretty clear who won this competition as on 3/10/2004 Six Flags sold the park to Cedar Point's owners Cedar Fair, L.P

and it is now officaly called Geauga Lake .

>[}:)]<<GRIM>>[}:)]<

Post March 13th, 2004, 2:29 am

Points on hand: 2,167.00 Points

Post March 13th, 2004, 4:17 am

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

On the good news of SF loosing SFWOA, SFMW will be getting a new whale, in which they have'nt had for several years...the Pacific stadium remained without any whales for a few years due to a whale's death. There's also a chance that SF will make a complete purchase of SFMW which could look better for the park. (Right now, SF doesn't fully own the park, it's owned by the city from what i hear) Sorry for bringing this abit off topic but this is a 'side effect'

Return to Off Topic Discussion