Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions G-Forces

G-Forces

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post June 4th, 2004, 8:51 pm

Points on hand: 4,300.00 Points

I've heard many contradictory statements about acceptable g-limits on coasters, especially negative and laterals.

My impression is that they should be lower than +5g (if possible +4.5g)
Lower than -1.7g, and for lateral g's, less than 2g.

Is that about right? I heard that tolerances for negative and laterals are even lower than the ones i stated, does anyone know it FOR SURE? I don't need anymore wild guessed to confuse me, only answer if you are certain. [confused]

Post June 4th, 2004, 9:35 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Many people overreact when they see gs reaching about 6 to 6.5 vertical gs. Several real coasters existed with that many gs, so I set my limit at 7. Yes, 7 is high, but it can be pulled off for a very brief moment. Sustained I would say at MAX 4. Lateral gs depend a lot on the coaster type. Woodies should have lats on turns ranging from about 1 to 1.8 lats, and even 1.8 lats can start hurting if the track isn't very smooth or unpadded trains are used on the rides. For most steel coasters, I would say B&Ms and Intamins never go above .4 lateral gs, but in coaster sims thats just so hard to accomplish, so .9g seems like an acceptable limit for most steel coasters. For negatives, this is the one thats debated the most. I think that coasters never go beyond -1g or possibly -1.1g...simply because of the fact that if a 100 pound person for example experienced -1.1g then there would be 110 pounds pushing against the restraint. I have never felt near that much force on any coaster I've ridden. Also, at -2gs most peoples' eyes explode, due the fact that the force causes most blood vessels in your eyes to pop from the force. So getting anywhere near that would logically cause the smaller blood vessels in the eye to pop. Since there are no cases with people getting eyebleeds on coasters from what I've heard, I'd think that coasters stay far from -2g [;)]

Post June 5th, 2004, 12:28 am

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

I'd go with what IF said generally, some real coasters do have 6.5 g's, so that isn't realistic. For lats, I'd say that Wild Mouse coasters can go pretty high too, as that is the whole concept of them. For negs, never go above 1.5, as IF said try to stay around 1 generally.

Post June 5th, 2004, 1:12 am

Points on hand: 4,300.00 Points

Ok good, my rides are well in those limits, except for laterals. I have one ride that I'm improving right now (inverted) that has a moments of 1.5 laterals, but only for very brief instances. It's very compact too, so it would be hard to have perfect banking, even in real life.

Post June 5th, 2004, 9:37 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
my g force limits are:
Vert +6.5 -1.5g
Lat (Steel +/- 1g) (wood +/- 1.7)
acc +/- 2g
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post June 5th, 2004, 10:45 am

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

well it kinda seems stupid to have less force for seel than a woodie for laterals. If anything you would be able to with stand a higher amount of laterals in a steel coaster due to the fact your stapled in your seat in most cases.

G force also depends on the kind of seating youve got. For example you can take more g forc's when sitting normaly as it is easier for the body to pump blood when your sitting under g force. However if your standing up, your body will have to do a great deal more work to push the blood for you feet upwards whilst under high g's. This is also said for the size of a person, the taller they are the less resistant they are to high g forces, as there body and heart need to work alot harder to push to blood around. You need to remember, the higher the positive g force, the more the blood is being pushed down twoards your feet, and as result leaving little blood for your brain (cause of blackouts) for the higher the g. The harder for you to pump the blood to your brain, so the more likly you are to blackout. And negative g's work in the opposite way. All the blood rushes to your head which can cause swelling, and red outs at around -3g. Lateral g's are just painful. If your going round a corner at lateral 4 g. You have to remember 4 times your body weight is being slammed sideways into the restraints, which would be painful and would after a while probaly start to break ribs etc etc.....yeah im done now!

Post June 5th, 2004, 1:28 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Steelies should have laterals IMO, but in no way are they easier to withstand. Wooden coasters usually have padded trains where it doesn't hurt to be thrown into the side of the car. Steelies almost never have trains like this. Take an Intamin train for example, there are no sides to the cars, so if your pushed to the side of the car you'd be pulled out of car and it'd hurt with the restraint pulling on your legs from all the lats. A B&M train couldn't have high laterals, because you would get your head slammed and it'd also be painful for your body to be pushed sideways from the restraint, just because there wouldn't be a side of the car for your body to be pushed into, but the restraint, which would hurt.

Post June 10th, 2004, 10:44 pm

Points on hand: 905.00 Points

It really depends on the type of ride, maker, realistic or fantasy, and really if you just know what the hell you are doing and realise the g-forces, well you might want to fix them if you want. I mean, I wouldn't want to ride, say Kraken, if the end had a g-force of 8 or even something more reasonable such as 6. High g's can take away from the fun of a ride.

Post June 13th, 2004, 6:31 am

Points on hand: 2,983.00 Points
doesn't oblivion have like 6 g's??? it can be fun if its just for a brief moment, as after the 6 g's it stays about3-4 for a while

Post June 20th, 2004, 12:04 pm

Points on hand: 87.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
For me, I don't mind 7 g's on the sim (as intaminfan said, few real rides goto 7 g's) but I'd probably die if I went on one of those. Anything above -.7g's is unacceptable for woodies, but steel rides can go up to -1g. I'll say intamin gigas' can go up to -1.2 or something like that. 1.7 is just life treatening. BTW, does millenium force go up to -1.1-.2 g's?? or is it just -1g??

Return to General Theme Park Discussions