Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Oblivion Becomes Illegal at the End of the 2004 Se

Oblivion Becomes Illegal at the End of the 2004 Se

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post October 2nd, 2004, 1:59 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
Intamin Launch Coasters Dont screech, they are smooth, TTD has a drag racing sound effect that goes along with the launch, but its added. Either way they arent loud.

Post October 3rd, 2004, 4:55 pm

Points on hand: 5,840.00 Points
Heres a good idea for next year: "Next year in the X-Sector...The most extreme stunt show ever, complete with HUGE explosions, HUGE explosions and MORE HUGE EXPLOSIONS!!! THAT'S RIGHT, IT'S THE 'BOMB THOSE BUMS THAT KILLED OBLIVION' SUPER STUNT SPECTACULAR!!!"

Post October 3rd, 2004, 5:08 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

Post October 4th, 2004, 5:36 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Does the "dont look down" thing really get you people? I can see yea, its part of the themeing...it can heighten the experience.

But IMO taking that away actually should INCREASE the drops feeling. Why? Ever been on a launched or drop ride where theres no warning? Yea, same feeling. The first month Dragster ran without lights. I hadnt quite figured out how it worked (fins down, then launch) since I was one of the first ones in line. So when we pulled up and I was mid train, I had NO clue when we were launching. That was still the greatest launch.

Same for the time I was at Great Adventure and the Ride Op gave us no warning on Batman & Robin. I personally think it would be wiser to take away the warning voice, and fill the track with sand to reduce noise (if it isnt already) and possible try to find a way to reflect the voices of the riders.

I can tell ya this though, without any warning of dropping, people wouldnt be able to start screaming till they were facing down. ;)

Post October 4th, 2004, 6:21 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,549.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Most people still know when its going to drop because you spend over an hour in line queuing for it and in an hour you can quite clearly figure out that it holds you for 3 seconds flat then drops you.....although it doesn't actually hold you still at all, you're constantly moving just bloody slowly [;)] next time you're there, check it out.

Anyway, on the regional news today "central news" as in the news which is only shown in the midlands where I live! [:)] There was a piece about this whole thing although it was mainly focused on the fireworks displays. They talked about what happened in court and stuff then they were in Alton talking to the resident, WHO, I am surprised to add, have started a petition (don't ask me how to spell that) to make sure that ALton get to keep their frieworks displays and rides just as they are. The petition has apraently already been signed by 300 people, so its a good start but it appears that Alton Towers will also have to reduce the amount of noise coming from their firewroks displays also.

Post October 4th, 2004, 7:43 pm

Post October 4th, 2004, 9:16 pm

Points on hand: 87.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
The first month Dragster ran without lights.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want that launch, I want it so bad!!!!! [:(]

Post October 5th, 2004, 2:01 pm

Points on hand: 1.00 Points
--------------------
Last edited by DjJavixxxxx on September 9th, 2014, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post October 5th, 2004, 4:19 pm

Points on hand: 2,092.00 Points
Bank: 10.00 Points

Oblivion will not be taken down in the near future or sold. The park is currently in discussion with B&M about the noise problem, some possible ideas are to:
1. Add rubber chain dogs to the lift
2. Add 'scream barriers/walls' to the area of the brake run
3. Raise the tunnel entrance higher
4. Reduce operating hours

If the problem is not solved with these methods it is possible that the ride may go into SBNO status until a solution has been created.

Post October 5th, 2004, 6:04 pm

Points on hand: 2,164.00 Points
Originally posted by Matt

The event was recently put on hold whilst the rich, hypocritical & miserable alton couple, Mr. & Mrs. Roper took legal action to stop it taking place this year and forever more, after successfully winning a court case in which the current operation of Oblivion becomes illegal at the end of the 2004 season.

Damn people. Thats totally sukcs. Just for th sake of two rich bastards!

hear hear[approve]

Post October 6th, 2004, 9:12 am

Points on hand: 1.00 Points
--------------------
Last edited by DjJavixxxxx on September 9th, 2014, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post October 6th, 2004, 2:33 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,549.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

To be honest, I'd prefer to see it ripped down and a have a kiddie coaster put in its place.......It'd be more thrilling [lol]

Post October 6th, 2004, 4:14 pm

Points on hand: 2,542.00 Points
if these two old duffers dont like theme parks why the hell did they move next to one,the park was there a way before them and it will be there long after theyve gone,ill buy the house of them so i can sit and watch oblivian go round all day,heaven,alton towers ought to buy their house knock it down and put a ride there.

Post October 6th, 2004, 4:49 pm

Points on hand: 87.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
Lol. Don't forget that Oblivion is silent compared to the noise their factory makes. AT should sue the Rapers because of that factory! [:(!] They could say that it disturbs the park experiece to hear machines in the middle of coaster screams and stuff and how they could see it just by riding Oblivion and how it "offends" (lol) them.

Post October 6th, 2004, 5:13 pm

Points on hand: 2,353.00 Points

Post October 6th, 2004, 6:41 pm

Points on hand: 5,840.00 Points
Originally posted by DjJavixxxxx

"IT'S THE 'BOMB THOSE BUMS THAT KILLED OBLIVION'"

Im going to BOMB you BASTARD!!! Oblivion is not a show!!! [lol]

DJ hates it lol

Post October 14th, 2004, 9:18 pm

Points on hand: 2,673.00 Points
Somebody put the RAPERS out of their bloody misery already! Oblivion is one of AT's signature rides, and if it's ever taken out in the near future because of a couple of old, miserable, money-mad blowhards, it would be the end of the world(OK, at least in the eyes of the locals, enthusiasts, et al. who do care) of a key portion of the park. Who knows? Maybe the rest of the park is next! NEVER!!![:(!]

To put it another way, I can pretty much sum it up with this-and yes, this goes to the POS responsible...

[pdie][stoning][flush][B)][devilish]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F*cking old-timers...it'd be better off if they simply moved! If you end up residing next to a amusement/theme park, then you'd best be getting the hell out of dodge if you don't like the noise![:(!]

Post October 18th, 2004, 6:43 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Y live next to the biggest theme park in England if you dont like them. I agree with Wetrix.
Oblivion is a great ride, for the 15 seconds it lasts lol!!! It is the only tall ride we have in AT. If it goes, which it will not, people would play hell!!!!!

Post October 18th, 2004, 8:03 am

Post October 18th, 2004, 10:11 am

Points on hand: 3,352.00 Points
screamomatic does have a point - why should two old gimmers get their way and spoil fun for everyone who visits? Im pretty confident that Alton Towers would be the most visited park in England from Overseas. Alton towers could probably buy the ropers a spanky new house at the other side of the country for less than it would cost to fix the noise problem!

Post October 18th, 2004, 10:55 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
I believe those people were living there before Alton Towers ever got huge...alot of those locals have lived there since the dawn of time.

But I dont think they should be entitled to do and say whatever they want and have the local judge give em their plea. Thats a little over the top and it seems as though the local judge is part of that group, corrupting the legal system. Alton doesnt really have a chance without doing some major changes to the ride...sadly.

Post October 21st, 2004, 1:11 am

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
what's so noisey about it? most b&m rides are smooth as glass and almost silent. (except for btr) why dont they fill the track with sand or foam like they do with their more recent rides?

Post October 24th, 2004, 11:53 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Because it ruins the effect? I dunno, but seriously, has any one ever gone over to the Roper's house and egged it yet? No, I don't think so, you have to fight old people with egg's and toilet paper, and flaming bags of dog crap.[lol]

Post October 25th, 2004, 5:33 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
Originally posted by coaster992001

what's so noisey about it? most b&m rides are smooth as glass and almost silent. (except for btr) why dont they fill the track with sand or foam like they do with their more recent rides?

Umm alot of B&M Rides are really really loud or for at least the ones I have been on. I dont understand Alton Towers brings money in for the country and yet they much close Oblibion. That ride was only a one trick pony any way.

Previous

Return to General Theme Park Discussions