Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions RITA - Alton Towers

RITA - Alton Towers

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post October 14th, 2004, 1:10 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Okay, What does everyone think about the new coaster at Alton Towers. It will apparently be an Intamin Rocket coaster, about 18 metres high with a launch from 0-100kph in 2.8 seconds!!!!! The ride is being placed in Ugland, and there has been some major excavation work going on in this area. Lets hope this ride is good. Also, the ride is going to be either a UK or Europene first, because it may open before Kanoenon!!!!!! What does everyone think the ride will be like????

Post October 14th, 2004, 1:16 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,574.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Can I ask first, where this information is from?

Still though, from what you said, it sounds like its going to be in the floor a bit like Nemesis, "major excavation work going on in this area" you know, to me that sounds like a big "Nemesisesk" type hole [lol]...sounds good anyway.

Post October 14th, 2004, 1:19 pm

I found the information on Towerstimes.co.uk!!! I have some photo's from the forum aswell! The code name for the ride is apperently RITA, and there is now a site for the ride. This is www.riderita.co.uk
I hope that is the link anyway!!!
I really hope the ride has loops. P.S i really hope Oblivion isn't taken down as it si the only really tall coaster at AT

Post October 14th, 2004, 1:21 pm

Post October 14th, 2004, 2:28 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
i don't think it will be a rocket coaster... How about a tilt coaster? We don't have tilt coaster in Europe[;)]

Post October 14th, 2004, 2:33 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Dirk...its an Intamin launch coaster, not rocket coaster and will be similar to the one in liseberg. I read about this on www.screamscape.com a couple of days ago, and sounds pretty cool, but looks like Corkscrew might be seeing its last days

Post October 14th, 2004, 5:00 pm

Points on hand: 2,092.00 Points
Bank: 10.00 Points

And then there's also rumours that Black Hole will be leaving.

Post October 15th, 2004, 11:40 am

yah i heard that too! I hope it is, so that they can replace it with a Mondial Topscan in the dark!!!! That would be really crazy!!! Anyway back to the topic, as the edge said it will be similar to the one at liseberg, and very small in height (about 65 - 70 foot) and fast. This makes me wonder if part of the ride will be underground!!!! Who knows? If not it will make it hard to include taller inversions such as a vertical loop ect because of going at that speed. The ride will be very very interesting i say!

Post October 15th, 2004, 3:28 pm

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

At first I was wondering why they're calling it "RITA" but if you spell RITA backwards, it could stand for Alton Towers Intamin Rocket...Just a thought..

Post October 15th, 2004, 7:13 pm

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points
not being mean, but us over here in america find it funny how excited over a 0-64MPH (approx) coaster, Storm Runner smokes that with a quicker launch :-P

is RITA some racing term over in europe?

also, is there a layout shot of this. Sorry but i am not to impressed with the ride. RCDB has it listed as a Hydraulic launch, but 0-64 in 2.8 isn't real powerful considering Storm Runner is 0-72 in 1.8 and Kingda Ka is 0-128 in 3.5. Also no inversions, im very confused??? Is it in the woods?

Post October 15th, 2004, 7:46 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,299.00 Points

it is sorta in the woods, it is in ug land... and rember that alton has height and noise restrictions, so they cant do anything too fancy...

Post October 15th, 2004, 7:53 pm

Intamin launches are fairly silent. you just hear a pssssh and a slight roar from the train, I've stood right beside SR, and the train is very quiet atleast compared to Great Bear. You cant hear storm runner from to far away.

Post October 15th, 2004, 8:17 pm

Well first off, the UK doesnt build majour coasters every-year and have orgasms about the worlds tallest fastest coaster. We like to keep our coasters original and pretty well themed. The thorpe of a launch coaster in Alton Towers is sweet as it means it cant go above tree level, which you may think is lame but blasting through trees at high speeds and what not is great fun (Nemesis)

Post October 15th, 2004, 8:26 pm

i dont mind the speed, but no inversions i think will kill the ride

Post October 16th, 2004, 5:39 am

I am really looking forward to the ride!
BTW has anyone noticed the similarity between the piccy on www.riderita.com to Kill Bill! I also found this out from the kind people on towerstimesforum!!!
Also, i totally agree with the edge on this one. I dont care about the tallest fastest rides, and i know storm runner has a faster acceleration, but we cannot have this. because if the ride is to fast it will make it harder for the layout to stay under tree height. We are not totally sure that the coaster is Intamin either. It may be any type, but it is most probs Intamin.
Good thought Angry Gumball, RITA backwards could stand for Alton Towers Intamin Rocket!!!!! This also points to an Intamin!!!
A the moment i am trying to find any info i can about this new ride at AT, so bear with me. If i find any i will post it straight on this forum!

Post October 16th, 2004, 8:44 am

wow, the biggest must be an american thing. We'd be really ticked if a park didn't go for the best, really ticked

Post October 16th, 2004, 8:49 am

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
We europeans don't think that a ride has to be very high to be great. Nemesis is small, and it's one of the world best coasters.

Post October 16th, 2004, 9:03 am

Originally posted by x

We europeans don't think that a ride has to be very high to be great. Nemesis is small, and it's one of the world best coasters.

complete opposite of what we think. I'd rather go 200 more feet up then have a rush through the woods. Nemesis is great, but no big american parks have the land to make a ride like that, most parks are flat.

Post October 16th, 2004, 10:39 am

Oh i understand now. America builds coasters so big to make up for smaller things?

[lol]

Post October 16th, 2004, 11:04 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Originally posted by pacoasterrider

Intamin launches are fairly silent. you just hear a pssssh and a slight roar from the train, I've stood right beside SR, and the train is very quiet atleast compared to Great Bear. You cant hear storm runner from to far away.

Dragster isnt so silent...and especially when it climbs the tower, its like a jet. BUT they wont be having issues like that :P...

not being mean, but us over here in america find it funny how excited over a 0-64MPH (approx) coaster, Storm Runner smokes that with a quicker launch :-P

is RITA some racing term over in europe?

Ignorance maybe? Xcelerator has no inversions...people seem to love that. Millennium Force has no inversions, also, people seem to love it. Actually, the top 3 coasters in the world (Golden Ticket Ratings) have no inversions and do just fine... (MF, SROS and EGF)

IMO a half a second and 10 more mph isnt going to feel THAT Much more intense. And anyways, whos going to have ridden any of the rockets over here and then ride RITA? Only a handful of those crazy americans, or euros who travel the world for coasters...

I think itll be VERY cool to see what Alton does...their height restrictions and noise levels are what make that park unique, albeit a hassle for the park, their rides are unlike any other.

also, is there a layout shot of this. Sorry but i am not to impressed with the ride. RCDB has it listed as a Hydraulic launch, but 0-64 in 2.8 isn't real powerful considering Storm Runner is 0-72 in 1.8 and Kingda Ka is 0-128 in 3.5. Also no inversions, im very confused??? Is it in the woods?

Post October 16th, 2004, 12:15 pm

well a car going 0-60 in 4.8 is alot better then a car 0-60 in 6 ish (translate 10 more MPH in .5 seconds less it comes approx to it. Plus Millenium Force has one of the greatest drops (310ft at 80 degrees) but i dont agree with the golden ticket awards ether. MF has no airtime im told, and that's the holy grale of hypers. SROS is loaded with airtime, the tunnel after the drop looks awesome, and all i've heard that SROS (SFNE) should be the best coaster on earth. Expedetion is a awesome ride, i have a few vid.s of it, but that ride is taller and faster. Im not saying this wont be a good ride, but it won't be tall, not real fast, no inversions, just not cuting it for an american idiot like me

Post October 16th, 2004, 12:28 pm

Whats so good about inversions? Personaly i dislike inversions, there boring and in most cases quite rough. Dragin Kahn for me was a fairly boring ride, being flipped over and over until your sick really isnt much fun. I would much rather be dashing through the woods of parabolic hills then being flipped round and round at 300ft.

Post October 16th, 2004, 12:31 pm

Originally posted by The Edge

Whats so good about inversions? Personaly i dislike inversions, there boring and in most cases quite rough. Dragin Kahn for me was a fairly boring ride, being flipped over and over until your sick really isnt much fun. I would much rather be dashing through the woods of parabolic hills then being flipped round and round at 300ft.

well you've never ridden a Intamin's launched coaster's inversions. SO MUCH -G'S!

Post October 17th, 2004, 5:20 am

I dont really mind if the ride has inversions, i just think it will, as we only have 2 looping coasters at AT. Can you really say air goes upside down?????? If it does then 3 looping coasters.
I also think, that because im still hoping for that woody, that will add another non-looping coaster into the park, because i cannot see it being like son of Beast!! If the new coaster doesnt have inversions, im still sure it will be great.
Does anyone have any info on what might be happening to X-sector. Plz give me more info bout RITA aswell! I can't wait.
P.S i must say this, the ride not being allowed over tree height, and being not allowed to make much noise means that we always get a totally unique experience on our coasters than any other coasters you could ride in the world. I personally prefer being low to the ground and thinking you gonna hit things like on nemesis, than speeding along 300ft. This is why i pefer Nemesis to Oblivion as oblivion is much taller.

Post October 17th, 2004, 5:22 am

Does anyone know what type of theme we might be getting on this new coaster, IF ugland is leaving, as Alton have always had some of the best theming around, so im hoping they add some on this new coaster?????

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions