Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster Tool [SegmentCombiner]

Tool [SegmentCombiner]

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post November 2nd, 2004, 9:44 am

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

This Tool combines multiple segments of a track to a single one.

Usage: Set the "First Vertex" right in front of the segments that need to be combined. Save the track. Load the track into the tool. Type in the number of segments you want to combine (2 and up). Hit "Combine!". Save the track. (You might want to save under a new name in case something went wrong).
Load the new track into the editor and delete the Vertex/Vertices you no longer need; the tool doesn't delete anything, it just adjusts the handlelengths of the first vertex and the one at the end of the combined segments.

Note that this is nothing more than an alpha-release. I don't promise that it works every time. Also note that you can't do complex shapes with a single segment, so don't expect it to do wonders to your track.

-Buster

http://d1jlserver.dnsalias.net/CCDev2/p ... fm?fid=688

Post November 2nd, 2004, 10:10 am

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Does this allow you to erase a vertex without the track going all out of wack?

Post November 2nd, 2004, 12:08 pm

Post November 2nd, 2004, 12:40 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
i don't really like the tool, you have to make a element to get the vertex removed. I'd better have that funtion in the editor that you can remove the selected node. Oh well, better hve my track love up and have a smoother track after then using that tool...

Post November 2nd, 2004, 4:01 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
Woa, censor that f*** please. Anyway, is it really possible to do this? I mean If you have a bumpy half helix with two vertices, so you do this tool to it, and then add another section and use this tool, couldnt this make the track nearly perfectly smooth?

Post November 2nd, 2004, 4:34 pm

Points on hand: 87.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points

Post November 2nd, 2004, 4:56 pm

Yeah! Perfection is very close to us! Exactually as Brtnboarder495 said

Post November 2nd, 2004, 5:18 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

This tool is awesome. I made a hill with 5 segments, then split each of the segments, then set the first vertex at the second vertex of the hill. I ran it through the Segment Combiner for each 2 vertices (so every vertex I made would be "erased"), and the hill turned out to be perfectly smooth.

Post November 2nd, 2004, 10:44 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

soungs great, now all they need to do is combine this in the editor, you know its really not all that bad having all these tools, it allows us to concentrate more on the adrenaline and originality aspect.

Post November 3rd, 2004, 1:30 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
IT doesnt smooth anything...If it does, thats by luck.

This is for say, if you create something and you end up with too many verticies, this will take out a few. I find the only TRUELY useful reason for this is to take out verticies in order to make handles similar in length so that, in a banking situation, you dont get conroll jerk.

Post November 3rd, 2004, 2:40 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Originally posted by Real

IT doesnt smooth anything...If it does, thats by luck.

Of course it doesn't. However, if a vertex has a bump in it, and the segment before and after it are combined, then that bump will be gone.

Post November 3rd, 2004, 7:15 am

Post November 3rd, 2004, 10:48 am

Well, if you can do without it I could see that. But, less verticies does mean less control of your shaping. For straights though, that shouldnt be an issue.

Post November 3rd, 2004, 5:28 pm

Points on hand: 87.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
Well, if you can do without it I could see that. But, less verticies does mean less control of your shaping. For straights though, that shouldnt be an issue.

Yeah, but too much control can be a problem... When you're like me and can't keep it smooth, lol. Who knows, maybe this thing can use 2 verticys for a 180 degree turn... with no pumps! (I hope, lol)

BTW, for straights, not's not an issue perioed, in fact, I prefer having straights consist of only one segment. Otherwise, with me at least, it wont be straight after a little bit. [lol]

Post November 3rd, 2004, 7:08 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

^why not just use elementary to make turns without pumping?

Post November 3rd, 2004, 7:49 pm

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

Because he prolly wants turns sloped at a non-constant rate, therefore making it extremely difficult to use elementary to design such a thinr.

Post November 3rd, 2004, 8:02 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

i liked it when you had to make the hole track by hand, i still do.[peakhill]

Post November 5th, 2004, 11:16 am

real designers dont make it by hand...

And considering that NL has been used at least to demostrate tracks in the past, I would believe that Ole would in the end, like to make it so theres enough tools to create a track thats very close to perfect.

Granted, companies like Stengel and such would still do all the calculations , but, they would have a great idea of what its going to do and react like. I doubt that Ole intends for this game to have the steep learning curve it has.

Remember, its a SIM, not a game (at least IMO). Its not like theres cheat codes to use in order to beat the game, there is no end.

Post November 12th, 2004, 10:06 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
This is a desinging program guys, its no game like Real said, I doubt that many coaster companies sit at a computer all day and tweak vertices, and if they do they probably have the mathmatics worked out on a piece of paper right next to them. Basically, they dont dive into a SIM (or CAD or whatever they use!) and just start building, the implement it upon mathmatics and programs like Elementary or Busters programs. I am not against the using of tools like that, however I treat NL and coaster building as a hobby, something I resort to as fun. So to me using tools to design an entire coaster isnt my idea of "fun".

Return to No Limits Coaster