Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Expedition Everest!

Expedition Everest!

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post November 21st, 2004, 11:46 pm

Points on hand: 664.00 Points
Disney's new coaster is taking shape, and it looks like it will be super fun![:)]http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/new2006.html

Post November 22nd, 2004, 2:44 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points

Post November 22nd, 2004, 5:17 am

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Post November 22nd, 2004, 6:46 pm

Points on hand: 3,741.00 Points
gives me a reason to go back to florida! wow, right now it looks like vekoma has another great innovative ride in the works, but it'll be hard to tell for sure until it's open...cool stuff

Post November 22nd, 2004, 6:53 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Looks like some intense lats on some of those turns!! Very cool indeed!

Post November 22nd, 2004, 7:01 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
Finally a new track style from Vekoma, now we need a B&M and Intamin (well theres is nice so...). Anyway they seem to be making great progress and they still have a little over a year to work on it. Can not wait to ride.

Post November 22nd, 2004, 10:27 pm

Points on hand: 2,671.00 Points

I hope this isn't as rough as other Vekomas! And 100,000,000,?????? This tells you how much Disney is robbing the general public! LOL.

Post November 23rd, 2004, 12:13 pm

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
o come on g-force! disney is awesome! and if ya have ever been to disneyworld, you know the ticket price is rather cheap. and they put more detail into their parks than anyone else. but i agree, this ride is gonna be awesome! but i'm confused... i remember hearing a rumor that "asia will be getting a roller coaster" for years now... long, LONG before animal kingdom opened. how long exactly have these plans been in the works?

Post November 23rd, 2004, 4:58 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Originally posted by G-Force

I hope this isn't as rough as other Vekomas! And 100,000,000,??????

G-force, i think you only have ridden a vekoma SLC or a boomerang, those are rough coasters. I think this ride will be very smooth. Not all vekoma's are rough because the SLC's or boomerangs are rough...

Post November 23rd, 2004, 5:48 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Actually, Vekoma for about the last 2 years has been doing much better math equations for their tracks. Look at the Booster Bike, its heartlined and VERY smooth. They also have good suspension and wheel assemblies.

Even Rockin Roller Coaster (which is Vekoma, its basically Superman: The Ride at Walibi World indoors but Disney put their own trains on it and voila, the ride isnt that rough at all.

Post November 23rd, 2004, 7:04 pm

Points on hand: 2,671.00 Points

ill probably go to disney to ride it i only live 3 hours away from orlando!

Post January 1st, 2005, 11:10 pm

Points on hand: 2,654.00 Points
$100,000,000! I feel like Dr. Evil, but c'mon! $100,000,000! Before creating another E-Ticket, they should spend that on fixing the parks up for the 50th and to save the company from where its going.

Post January 2nd, 2005, 1:04 am

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

Originally posted by waverunner2oo5

$100,000,000! I feel like Dr. Evil, but c'mon! $100,000,000! Before creating another E-Ticket, they should spend that on fixing the parks up for the 50th and to save the company from where its going.

And where exactly is it going to. Success? Large Revenue? Remaining the largest family amusement park destination in the nation? I am not much of a Disney fan, but I can still recognise the fact that Disney is extremely successful.

Post January 2nd, 2005, 9:40 pm

Points on hand: 69.00 Points
Originally posted by Fornication Nation

It better be good for that price.

Yeah, i really want to ride it but if they payed all that moneyand it sucks.... i think business will drop.

Post January 2nd, 2005, 10:31 pm

Points on hand: 1,944.00 Points
Vekoma getting $100,000,000 will, witout a doubt, pay back for all the crapy roller coasters they have built before!

I thought Disney had their own ride building company?

!Disney World is geting something that is thrilling!

Post January 3rd, 2005, 6:27 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

If you ride the millennium coaster here in the UK, you can see that not all vekomas are rough!!!!!! Same with the booster bike like Real said, it is apparently very smooth!

I think this ride will be great. Remember that $100,000,000 is being spent on all the theming aswell, isnt it??? I can almost garantee that this ride will look impressive, but will it be thrilling? I think it will be. But also very fun!

Post January 3rd, 2005, 7:07 pm

It will feature both forwards and backwards track from what i have heard. If thats true, from the skecthes I saw, that could be quite a fun ride.

Post January 3rd, 2005, 7:54 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

vokema isn't getting $100,000,000. Not even a fraction of that is the track, the main price is in the theming, which is why its opening in 2006 instead of 2005. You don't make millions of dollars in designing rollercoasters, you basically get paid what you would get paid doing geology, or some other science like that. That money goes towards paying for the steel, the people who make caculations on the ride, the transporters, and the people who build the ride, and other costs.
as for disney having thier own ride designers. They basically make the layout of thier ride, I'm not if they actually do the calculations or not, but I know they want people to think they completely make it. Disney seems to have favor Vokema in the past, they have used Intamin for at least one coaster. But the question is, will they ever use B&M???

Post January 3rd, 2005, 9:08 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

You don't make millions of dollars in designing rollercoasters, you basically get paid what you would get paid doing geology, or some other science like that. That money goes towards paying for the steel, the people who make caculations on the ride, the transporters, and the people who build the ride, and other costs.

No, the designer is the one who's going to be paid the most. Do you think it requires the level of education to build the ride as it does to design it? Do you think any of the people who are building the coaster have the knowledge or math skills to be able to design the ride that they're building? Chances are they don't. I don't know how much coaster designers get paid, but the more education you have, the higher you'll be paid, and the engineers on the project are always the ones with the good education.

Post January 4th, 2005, 1:10 am

Though, it does take a skilled iron workers crew to assemble these rides.

Cedar Point has a section of an Iron Union that use exsclusivly based on their knowledge, experience and skill. Im sure they make good money for a winters worth of work, thats for sure. Just doing normal construction is 25+ an hour, and thats with minimal knowledge. Putting together a roller coaster is no small feat, especially when done right.

But IF is right. The designer, whoever got contracted to do the math work (like Stengel) will get a large chunk, the other portion to the manufacturer who designs and manufactures the parts.

Post January 9th, 2005, 8:47 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

yeah, but a lot also goes into the steal itself, steal is not cheap, and you talking several hundreds of tons of steal. Besides, most of the money is going into the scenery. The max going into the rest of the ride would be 25k at most, probably.

Post January 9th, 2005, 10:09 pm

well, i just got back from disney and everest is HUGE! it's clearly visible from the ak parking lot and the theming is comming along very fast. a guy at mgm studios said it'll reach speeds of 70 mph! i can't wait! and thecool: with the size of this thing, i think it's more like several thousands of tons of steel. it's the biggest thing disney has ever made. i'd guess 4-5 times the size of splash mountain!

Post January 9th, 2005, 11:39 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
I think its the way the wheels are assmebled, my guess is because intamins and B&Ms are on the outside of the track, so the wheels dont have room to "move" around, if you catch my drift. With Vekoma's though, the wheels on the inside provide more space in away. It is hard to explain but that is just my guess. Most older Vekoma's were cheap, cept larger innovative projects ("X"). Looks like a great ride though.

Post January 10th, 2005, 12:28 am

Points on hand: 2,656.00 Points

Brtnboarder, just thought I'd let you know that X was designed by Arrow, not Vekoma. As far as the ride is concerned, it looks quite interesting, should be quite a ride once it is completed.

Post January 10th, 2005, 12:32 am

actually, i think the wheel placement has something to do with smoothness too. every ride i've been on with wheels on the inside are bumpier and less smooth than the ones i've ridden with wheels on the outside. with the exception of all togo rides which sucked too much for me to pay attention to where the wheels are.

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions