Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion rock music

rock music

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post January 12th, 2005, 4:55 pm

Points on hand: 2,869.00 Points

Go with Metallica and Godsmack, or Metallica in General. You can try Linkin Park, they got some hard rock stuff I think.

(I haven't been able to get on in a long time due to my computer crapping up, it still is crapped up, Im typing this from school.)

Post January 12th, 2005, 5:33 pm

Points on hand: 3,352.00 Points
It aint a rock song, but listen to

Santa Esmerelda - Dont let me be misunderstood

Post January 12th, 2005, 6:06 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Originally posted by Master of Puppets

Read what I wrote next time.

I simply can't STAND that guy's voice. It's horrible. Just as bad as Geddy Lee from Rush, if not worse.

I read it, it is called humour. The reason why I put the 'hahah' at the end of my sentence [xx(]

Post January 12th, 2005, 6:32 pm

Points on hand: 2,585.00 Points
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but Robert Plant is one of the most powerful singers in rock n' roll, and has a great voice. I can't stand the idea that if a man has a great range and can sing high like Plant pre-1973, they suck or sound like a girl...but Geddy Lee also has a cool and unique voice, and Rush also is a great band. Zep is the one of the most influential hard rock bands, and their pure originality and innovation makes their music all so different identifiable.

And Fornication Nation, that statement still doesn't make sense...

Post January 12th, 2005, 11:45 pm
Master of Puppets User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 4,581.00 Points

Calling Led Zeppelin "hard rock" is like calling sand "gravel"

They are rock, but certainly far from "hard". There are lots of people out there that despise Led Zeppelin, just as there are those that love them. They are influencial just like Nirvana is influencial. Only to a certain group of people.

It's also not the fact that he sings high, since I like songs by bands like the Smashing Pumpkins and Billy Corgan has a high voice. Same with Puddle of Mudd, Billy Talent and so on. The combiniation of the Led Zeppelin musicical "sound" and that high voice just turns me right off. I literally change the station or turn the radio off when that garbage starts playing.

I like some songs by Rush as well...

No denying Zeppelin is one of the greats. Rush is also up there, being they have damn near the best drummer in rock music... ever. That doesn't mean I like them though.

Post January 13th, 2005, 9:42 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

True McFly, Zep is extremely influential in rock ... however, without one primary band from the 70's most bands mentioned here would still be playing in their garages wondering how they could make the big money money and get the chicks. And to this day I cannot believe after all these similar threads no one has really paid hommage to them.

Image Insert:
23.07 KB

That band? Black Sabbath

No matter what your hatred is for Ozzy or how much Tony Iomni is an all-around control freak, or how much we wondered why Geezer would be called Geezer, or how we still wonder how the amazingly simple but pounding rhythms of Bill Ward influence drummers today ... without THAT foundation they had (and hence bringing to pass the title "acid rock") NO metal band of today or yesterday would have amounted to anything more than an itch in a producers pants.

Post January 13th, 2005, 1:20 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

In answer to Dirks question, if you want some rock without lyrics then you need instrumental songs, which i prefer to ANY song with singing in. I think lyrics limit a song of what it can be. It restricts a song from exploring yourmind imo. These days almost 95% of people will only listen and sing along to lyrics of a song (Hip-Hop, RnB) and never listen to the actual song itself. In some cases vocals can enhance a song but i much prefer to listen to a song without any vocals...i guess thats why i find Classical music pretty awesome to listen to. The amount of different instruments you hear playing a whole host of tones and building songs up in so many levels is plain awesome, which is also a reason why i really enjoy Metallica's S&M album.

Anyway if you want plain guitar ricj then listen to some Joe Satriani, Steve Vai or if your looking more heavy metal Micheal Angelo (No Boundaries) Joe and Steve both play a massive range of songs and styles so it may take you a while to find a song that would fit the video

Post January 13th, 2005, 1:33 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
the songs i listened gave a bad feeling to the ride imo. The gitare was nice but the singing made it look crap...

Post January 13th, 2005, 5:32 pm

Black Sabbath may not be a band that I particularly really like, but some of their really old stuff was truly cool and very heavy....but it seems to me that the Zep sound and the Sabbath sound has had an influence on two different groups...certainly there are some that are in the middle, influenced by both sounds, but the Black Sabbath sound is more metal...and Zeppelin certainly is hard rock. Few songs can match the early heavy rock n' roll songs of Zep, such as Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love, and Dazed and Confused...with such heavy guitar riffs backed by the amazing basswork of John Paul Jones, I don't know how you can't classify them as hard rock, whether you like them or not. But I don't like much 'metal,' and I don't know if Sabbath would be classified as that, but some of that early stuff is heavy yet musical, and has some great guitar work. Much better than the so-called 'metal' that most bands play today, incorporating pure screaming and yelling. Ozzy Osbourne's voice back then really is one of the best.

Post January 13th, 2005, 7:50 pm

Call Ripley's ... I think that is some form of McFly and I agreeing. [lol]

Post January 13th, 2005, 11:10 pm

That's the annual agreement...you'll have to wait 'till next January for another one ;) ....

Post January 14th, 2005, 6:37 pm

No doubt ... too bad for all the suckers who missed it and will wonder why we are slaying each other for the next 12 months. hahahaha

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion