Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Alton Towers

Alton Towers

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post January 20th, 2005, 2:56 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,549.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Now, we all know about RITA, but I just saw a small section of news on my local news programme where the presenter said and I quote:

"Alton Towers is to lose one of its best known rides"

At this point, I'm thinking, holy cheescakes of fury the Ropers have won the case! But he went on to say:

"The Black Hole is to be demolished to make way for a new 'Hi-tech' rollercoaster"

Has anybody else heard about this or read about it anywhere? If so, does anybody know any details at all. Also, does anybody know if infact "Midlands Today" just got it horribly wrong and they were indeed refering to RITA?

This is the first I've heard about this, but I'm going to look around now to see if I can find any information because I am more than intrigued to say the least.

Is it me, or is it odd for Alton Towers to be building this many rides in such a short space of time. I thought it was odd when they announced RITA so soon after Spinball and if this is true then its definitely not like Alton Towers ... trying to get the record for most coasters in a park are they? Cus they've got a long way to go [lol]
Last edited by Edge on January 20th, 2005, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post January 20th, 2005, 5:44 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

All topics posted in coaster news will go on front page if confirmed by a staff member, so bare that in mind next time you post [;)] I did however find the subject intresting so i moved it here instead.

I also heard that the blackhole was going, but am unaware of it being replaced by another rollercoaster. I do think that the paper in this case was wrong in the sense that it would be replaced by another coaster. As you said, im assuming they were reffering to Ride Rita and not another new coaster altogether. The only other possible coaster i know of for Alton Towers after Rita is the proposed Vekoma Motor Bike ride in Gloomy Wood, but other than that i'm not sure. I'm also not sure when the Black Hole is going, if it is at all, but i would expect with the removal of the piece of junk, it would give a different atmosphere to the X-Sector. Going over the top of Oblivon and not seeing that blue cirus top would be wierd, but i expect all will be revieled in the new year

Post January 21st, 2005, 6:18 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yeah, I checked Screamscape, and it said that it had been confirmed that at the end of next season the ride would go, it didn't say that there was a new ride coming in after after it. They said that the Black Hole is only open on saturdays to the hotel guests [confused] can that be right?

Post January 21st, 2005, 9:10 am

Points on hand: 2,092.00 Points
Bank: 10.00 Points

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE!

18th January, 2005

LAST CHANCE TO RIDE!

After over 20 years of creating adrenaline filled thrills, The Black Hole at Alton Towers will shortly be climbing the famous helix for the very last time.

Russell Barnes, General Manager at Alton Towers, said:
?????????After much discussion, we have taken the decision to remove The Black Hole from our product offering in 2005. Following 20 seasons in action, it is sad that the ride is nearing the end of its useful life. However, in order to attract new visitors, we constantly need to revise our offering, hence the arrival of our new launch coaster ????????? Rita ????????? Queen of Speed which we anticipate to be opened at Easter?????????.

Along with Oblivion, the Enterprise and a selection of children?????????s rides, The Black Hole is currently open exclusively for hotel guests on Saturdays between 10.30am and 2.30pm until March 5th, enabling enthusiasts to enjoy one last ride on the famous coaster.

Special rates from ?????????29.50 per person based on four sharing are available in both the Alton Towers and Splash Landings Hotels. This rate includes bed and breakfast, waterpark entry and access to selected rides (subject to availability).

For more information and to book, call 0870 458 5119.

*The Black Hole has a height restriction of 1.2 metres

The Black Hole will SBNO during 2005 due to it failing its external safety inspection. Alton Towers were not prepared to add additional safety catwalks to the ride for emergency use, due to cost/plans to remove the ride in 2006 anyway.

The coaster that the news was talking about was indeed Rita, it is not confirmed what the future of the Black Hole site is.

Yours,
Dragon2000

Post January 21st, 2005, 9:17 am

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
I think it's worng of AT removing rides. Many of they rides have way too long ques, so removing rides is not the way to go. It looks like they got enough room, so they should just keep building new rides IMO.

Post January 21st, 2005, 10:06 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yeah, I kinda agree with X there, I mean, who really (apart from old grannies) actually use those gardens, the gardens take up like nearly half the park. Just the residents of Alton might have something to say about the removal of the gardens. I'm sure it would be better use of their money and time, just to bring black hole up to standard with safety regulations, then set about building a load of coasters where the gardnes stand, plus make it easier to walk out of the gardens up what appears to be a cliff, into forbidden valley.

AT is such a big park, it has so few rides in comparison to its size. When you see some American parks, or even Thorpe park and they have an area of land the size of a very big car park and its just absolutely stuffed full of rides. I mean, look at SFMM, that can't be as big as AT can it? and yet it has 16 coasters. That is my only problem with Alton Towers, if you are at Oblvion and you get the urge to ride Nemesis, you have to walk for like 30 minutes just to get there.

Post January 21st, 2005, 1:47 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Originally posted by gouldy

Yeah, I kinda agree with X there, I mean, who really (apart from old grannies) actually use those gardens, the gardens take up like nearly half the park. Just the residents of Alton might have something to say about the removal of the gardens. I'm sure it would be better use of their money and time, just to bring black hole up to standard with safety regulations, then set about building a load of coasters where the gardnes stand, plus make it easier to walk out of the gardens up what appears to be a cliff, into forbidden valley.

AT is such a big park, it has so few rides in comparison to its size. When you see some American parks, or even Thorpe park and they have an area of land the size of a very big car park and its just absolutely stuffed full of rides. I mean, look at SFMM, that can't be as big as AT can it? and yet it has 16 coasters. That is my only problem with Alton Towers, if you are at Oblvion and you get the urge to ride Nemesis, you have to walk for like 30 minutes just to get there.

I knwo what you mean there Gouldy.

Although about Black Hole being removed. It was going to cost Alton towers ?????????800,000 (i think thats correct) to add this safety feature and one other before the ride can run again, but they had already planned for it to be removed in 2006. To my knowledge people have actually had their last rides on black hole as it will be taken down in the march april period (well thats the last i heard!). Then in 2006 a new ride will be replacing it, or a ride will be moved to that site. May we be seeing boneshaker or Dynamo return, alhtough i think i have heard something about one of the two going to chessington anyway.
Also if i can remeber correctly, the woody plans that were rejected and only needed a few things changing like tree removal, were said that they were NOT being scrapped and we may see them in the not to distant future, although i am not sure. This may mean alton are destined to get a new woody, and if so it will most probably for the 2007 or 2008 season. So what is Black holes replacement ride. Maybe it is Rita, or maybe it is a new flat ride for the tent in 2006!!!!! [;)]

Post January 21st, 2005, 2:48 pm

The best ride imo that would replace black hole should be an Intamin ride trade ride like Apocalypse at DM. The black hole is already set quite a way into the ground anyway so they would just need to dig the hole a bit deeper [lol] But i dont see that happening, i expect we will be stuck with some sucky ride like Dynamo instead

Post January 23rd, 2005, 9:37 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

DUDE! Dynamo is wicked .... [lol]

Its the only ride anywhere that I have ever been on, that made me actually physically sick.

Post January 23rd, 2005, 9:46 am

You havn't tried Samurai then? It made me feel pretty sick at Chessington when it felt like you would collide with the trees any second, but it being at Thorpe Park brings a whole new sensation to the ride. As it resides at Thorpe Park it is probaly one of the best flat rides ive ever ridden, after Apocalypse. Nothing beats the feeling of shooting into the air whilst upside down, then flipping around several times at the top, to then what seems like to plumit face first into the lake below...really a pure awesome ride...but i guess this topic is about AT so yeah

Post January 23rd, 2005, 5:53 pm

I will be visiting thorpe soon, so i will try get on samurai!!! Although colossus is the main ride i wana try as i have never been on an intamin ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then i will have 2 in a month, colossus and Rita!!!!

I think they should replace black hole with either:
> a mondial topscan in the dark!
> a shake!! http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index/MondialShake1.jpg
> Or a small space shot!!! We have a small one at my home park (pleasure island cleethorpes and it is still very good, and it gives great air!!!! It is less than 90 foot high!
http://oneclick.coasterbuzz.com/html/pi ... ter_01.jpg
> Or you could get one like my other home park (fantasy island) and theme it like a erupting volcano! and t top it off, add tilting seats so when you reach the top and hve airtime, you plummet to the floor looking right at the ground!!! Thats a good idea.
http://fimania.co.uk/mainsite/modules/t ... .php?id=24

Although we have to take tree height issues into account so that ones probly not a good idea!

Post January 23rd, 2005, 7:49 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
The Double Shot at Indiana Beach is only 80-90ft tall and I LOVED it. It hands down crushes the 240ft tall Power Tower at Cedar Point. You get nice positive G's in the shot, but because its the "double shot", it thrusts you down when you reach the top. The second time was far more intense than the first and I slammed into my restraint. It was great!

Post January 24th, 2005, 2:02 pm

Yeah the one at pleasyre island is a double shot one, meaning you come out of your seat and dont land back into it until you reach the bottom, then it thrusts you straight to the top again and then shoots you down to the ground and then you start doing loads of little hops. I think the smaller ones are better than larger ones as smaller ones seem to get to the top with some of its speed left giving more air. Im not sure if thats right but it sure feels that way!

Post January 25th, 2005, 12:35 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I know what I'd like them to replace it with! A 200ft tall B&M stand up or something like that, but we all know they can't do that so ... meh [:P]

I do think that they could definitly make a feature out of the dome that will be left once the ride is demolished though, that is aslong as they don't demolish the dome aswell of course. Something like an indoor water ride maybe ... maybe not.

Post January 25th, 2005, 12:48 pm

Yes they could make a feature out of it. We may see a 4d theatre attraction coming to alton towers, or something of that sort. Or maybe a simulator type of ride. Although i would definately like to see a new dark roller coaster, amybe for the 2006/2007 or maybe even 2008 season. Maybe The worlds first dark 4d roller coaster!!!!!! [:D]

Post January 25th, 2005, 12:59 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

^Ahahaha, I don't think so [lol] I mean, that would be good and all, but Alton Towers ... can you really see that happening?

I like the simulator idea though, have you ever been on the star wars ride thingy at Disney land Paris? I thought that was pretty good, something like that might be pretty good, only not star wars cus star wars is gay and boring.

Post January 25th, 2005, 4:07 pm

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
I have been on "the Star Wars thing at Disneyland". I think it was great, and something like that would have been great for Alton Towers. But this type of rides doesn't exactly have a high capacity. So I don't know if it's the way to go.

Post January 26th, 2005, 6:03 pm

Yeah we need another high capacity ride, especially after only just installing spinball whizzer which has a low capacity causing queues of 2 hours for a family ride. A very gud family ride at that tho

Return to General Theme Park Discussions