Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Half-Life 2 VS Halo 2

Half-Life 2 VS Halo 2

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Half-Life 2 VS Halo 2

Halo 2
48%
Half-Life 2
43%
never played them
9%

Total votes : 23

Post March 2nd, 2005, 7:12 pm

Points on hand: 1,751.00 Points
Which game do you think is better!!!!!!!!!!!![:p][:D][:p]
Last edited by Eric12 on March 4th, 2005, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post March 2nd, 2005, 7:36 pm

Points on hand: 1.00 Points
------------
Last edited by DjJavixxxxx on September 9th, 2014, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post March 2nd, 2005, 7:42 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Half life 2 IMO is a good game, but its been completely hyped up. I've played Half Life 2 round a mates and gone "erm, you wanna go play on Halo 2 for a bit" to the reply of "yes", which I think is a pretty good sign that Halo 2 is better. Me and My mate played the first Halo for 6 months solidly, and the only reason we haven't done that with Halo 2 is work commitments, but we would if we could. Whereas Half Life just ... I dunno, its just not as ... fun I guess.

Post March 2nd, 2005, 9:34 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
Ya I never tried Half-life and dont plan on it, Halo 2 is bloody and violent, but Half-life looks all scary and grusome, which isnt my taste. Halo2 is a fun shooter and has great online capabilites. BTW wouldnt you be comparing Half Life 3 and Halo 2, since they were most recently released and were released closely to eachother?

Post March 2nd, 2005, 11:55 pm

Points on hand: 2,585.00 Points
Half-Life 2 isn't really gruesome, but it can be scary, and as a single player game, that puts it way ahead of Halo 2. Halo 2 has some good varied gameplay, but while playing many of the campaign areas, I would keep wondering when I can get out of this damn vehicle and start shooting again...same could be said for Half-Life 2, but Half-Life 2's use of vehicles is just amazing, and the gameplay stays varied throughout, say, the Highway 17 missions where you are driving, because you have the opportunity to get out and search through buildings and shoot combine soldiers and such. Plus, gravity gun...what more can I say? The gravity is the single greatest thing to happen to FPS in a while, as it greatly diversifies the gameplay, and allows things to be done in multiple different ways, and makes you think of different options to negotiate obstacles throughout the game. Halo 2 just seems like a lot of the same...a lot of the different locales look too similar, as in the first game. Fun game, and the duel-wielding definitely adds to it, but a much better multiplayer experience...

...which leads to the multiplayer comparison of the two games. I'd say they are close to equal. Halo 2 is one of the most fun and action packed games there is; it can be extremely chaotic on tight-wound maps, or an interesting strategic game when played on larger maps. Problem is, XBox Live can be annoying at times, and joining games and the like can be time consuming, so it becomes more fun to just hook up a few consoles and play with a large group of friends, which can also be a bit of a hassle. Half-Life 2's greatest asset is surely the variety of game types you can play, and Counter-Strike is the best multiplayer game there is...of course, there can be frequent problems with lag for some and hacking, plus the slow-down in frame rates when in a large firefight...which is less apparent in Halo 2...

Overall, I'd say that I'd definitely rather play Half-Life 2's single player game, but the multiplayer games are both too similar to choose one when they are at their best...so I'd have to pick Half-Life 2.

Post March 3rd, 2005, 12:01 am
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

halo 2 was over hyped, there wasn't much of an improvement from halo to halo 2. And the fact they brought the flood back in was stupid. It would have been cooler if they brought in a new kind of alien race for each ring.
As for Half Life 2, as for only playing the demo, I'm impressed. I played the same level like 5 times in a row. And I got the same creepy feeling every time.
Halo 2, on the other hand, is just to freaking dark, and I can't see where I'm shooting half the time
Half life 2 has some really good lighting and graphics, not as good as Doom 3, though, but still very good.

Post March 3rd, 2005, 12:35 am

Points on hand: 5,058.00 Points
Half-Life 2 is pwnage. Pwns Doom 3, Halo, anything. For another $20USD you can get all the mods too, and the mods are pwnage. Bottom line: see sentence 1. ;)

Well I mean....Halo never appealed to me, and Halo 2, although a bit better in every direction, just never caught onto me. Doom 3 (which isn't anything to do with this) has the best graphics hands down of ANY game to date and the most detail, but the gameplay itself was pretty bad. The hacks for Doom 3 (performance ones etc.) were pretty good, but the original game was lacking too much altogether in the action category.

and BritBoarder - Half Life 3?! WHERE?! :D Hasn't even started most likely.

Post March 3rd, 2005, 1:05 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Its a bad comparison. Ones PC, the other Console. The worlds are completely different.

I find HL-2 to be far superior to Halo 2 in the single player mode because the environments are FAR more immersive and rich. The story lines are comparable, I actually found HL1 to be better here and Halo 2 to be better. But the Half Life 2 single player is unmatched.

Multiplayer I think Halo 2 wins hands down. CS is a great (er, was) game. Its very cheater infested and even Valves best efforts to stray cheaters is completely futile. I stopped playing CS long before source. Im glad I got to play it in its Beta years before a mass of hacks and when the game was fresh and young, it was a joy to play and I sunk 5 years into it. But it got corupted and now it sucks IMO.

But still, while Halo 2 kills for MP, HL2 kills for Single.

Then again, I loved BOTH story lines and was immersed into both of them. However, I beat Halo 2 in less than a couple days, where as I found Half Life 2 to take much longer at the same pace.

Post March 3rd, 2005, 3:26 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,873.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

I really hate people who use pwn or pwnage, it's just plain stupid.
I've only played Halo 1 and 2, I actually like Halo 1 more over than 2. Can't compare to Half life though.

Post March 3rd, 2005, 5:33 pm
Premium Member

Sorry I was thinking of Doom 3, there is no Half-Life 3! Well I have never tried Doom 3, or Half-Life 2, mostly because I dont have a PC, so HL2 is out of the picture. I think Doom 3 is going to be released for Xbox, so maybe I will try it.

Post March 3rd, 2005, 9:29 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

I think Doom 3 is going to be released for Xbox, so maybe I will try it.

Its already been released, I believe.

Post March 3rd, 2005, 10:21 pm

Originally posted by WeeWeeSlap

I really hate people who use pwn or pwnage, it's just plain stupid.

meehee....sorry! I just thought I'd use it to show how much I care for HL2 over Halo 2. [:D]

Post March 4th, 2005, 4:23 pm

Points on hand: 2,869.00 Points

Ive never played half life 2, is that only on the computer?
Anyway, I wonder how good Doom 3 will be on the Xbox, the collectors edition will feature the original 3 dooms. And it comes out 4/4/05

And of course my favorite game is Halo2, i dont even have to say it for you to know it. just look at my name, and avatar.

If a game is too dark for you, you should brighten your tv up.

Halo 1 was awsome, Halo 2 was better IMO.

Oh, and what does pwn and pwnage mean, Im stupid so i dont know.

Post March 4th, 2005, 5:15 pm
Premium Member

Well Halo 2 had a great campign, however there was nothing really new. I mean yea, the battle was taken to Earth, but after that they just found another Halo, and then there was again, Flood! I was dissapointed, how about making a new reason for the Halo's existence?

Post March 4th, 2005, 6:30 pm

Points on hand: 2,585.00 Points
Well, I prefer Halo's single player to that of Halo 2, but Halo 2's multiplayer easily surpasses the original. I don't know why people say they don't like it as much and whatnot. It doesn't make sense to me. The maps are just amazing, and the new weapons really cause the multiplayer game to be diversified a lot more. It really is an awesome game...

And as to Counter-Strike, Real, you must've had bad luck in server choice, because I don't find hackers to be a big problem, really, when I play.

Post March 4th, 2005, 6:35 pm

Points on hand: 77.00 Points
I like Half Life 2 more than Halo2. Just more new things, good graphics. Hell everything is good at this game.

Post March 4th, 2005, 9:33 pm

Points on hand: 1,751.00 Points
i want half-life 2 because i want the mod[:p]http://www.garry.tv/garrysmod/

Post March 7th, 2005, 11:57 pm
man

Points on hand: 111.00 Points
i tried hslf life on my freinds comp normally no mater what his comp can handel the graphics of ne game but hl2 WAS SO SLOW so i think halo 2 is the best

Post March 8th, 2005, 1:44 am

HL2 slow on a computer? The only way you can have that is with an extremely junky computer or having a Mid-range or less ATi card with the new Catalyst 5.2 drivers (so slow, although everything else increases). For example, on half life 1 w/ the 5.1 drivers, my 9800 pro managed about 90 fps at the lowest, whereas now with the 5.2, i get around 30-70 fps. Who knows what happened there...

Return to Off Topic Discussion