Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions hyper coaster mcbr

hyper coaster mcbr

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post March 22nd, 2005, 2:45 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
I was doing some inverstigation about the intamin hypercoaster. What i'd noticed that non of them now doesn't has a mcbr. After checking rcdb.com i'd saw also that MF ran with 3 trains, and then without mcbr? How does MF run 3 trains without mcbr, or does MF have an mcbr but it's not showed on the pictures. Or does any REAL coaster intamin hypercoaster has MCBR's without knowing it... [B)]

Thanks,

Dirk
Last edited by Dirk_Ermen on March 22nd, 2005, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post March 22nd, 2005, 3:22 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Well, MF has one brake run two stations and it used the lift hill as a emergancy mcbr, so one train is on the track, riding, one is in the 1st station and one is in the 2d station, when emergany, the train in the 1st station will use the lift hill for a few meters, the 2d train will go to the first and the brake run and 2d station will be free for if the brakes run doesnt work.

Post March 22nd, 2005, 3:30 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Excellent answer hyyyper!!!
And yet, the word "blur" needs defining. I just don't get it.

http://www.coastercrazy.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7713

Post March 23rd, 2005, 5:08 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by TConwell

Excellent answer hyyyper!!!

U think so, thanks
i tought nobody would understand it

Post March 23rd, 2005, 2:22 pm

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Intamin or whoever designed the layout of the Intamin hypers built so far probably realized that an MCBR kills alot of the momentum and thrill factor of the ride.

Post March 23rd, 2005, 6:25 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

For example, "Titan" or "The Texas Giant" at SFOT. I mean, what's the need for trim on these rides where they are located? Virtually none. The coasters are already rolling to a gravity/friction induced lull, and the trim just really kills them.

Post March 23rd, 2005, 7:38 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

I agree MCBR's and Trim breaks are the creation of the devil. I here Mean Streak is the best example of this, many great rides have falling ruin to trims!

Post March 23rd, 2005, 8:05 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Actually, Mean Streak was falling ruin to itself, the trim is supposed to "save" the ride, but while it saves the ride itself, kills the ride it gives.

MCBR's can be just fine. Obviously you need a pretty large ride to run 3 trains and no MCBR and still get people through. Its just when they are jacked on really high, thats when its an issue.

MCBR's I can tolerate. Letting that ruin my ride isnt worth the time I waited for it. Same for trims, but a trim usually wasnt there to begin with (exclude EGF or SROS) so you always wonder how much better it was before that.

Post March 23rd, 2005, 8:43 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
Intersting Hyper, did not know that about MF emergency stop, however I did realize that after it pulls abit out of the station, the cable picks up speed, alot of speed. Nice info to know.

Post March 23rd, 2005, 9:50 pm

Points on hand: 4,300.00 Points

Yup, none of the new Intamin and very few older ones (only Cali Screaming comes to mind, but I'm sure there are a few more) have MCBR, but they use the lift as a seperate block, and usually have 2 blocks in the final brakes and/or dual stations.

Post March 23rd, 2005, 9:50 pm

It goes more than a few meters.

The ride will ascend to the 250ft ish mark every single time. Aside from the cable breaking incident, I have never seen MF stranded anywhere else than in that same spot.

Post March 23rd, 2005, 11:06 pm
Premium Member

Post March 24th, 2005, 12:29 am

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
2 years ago? the cable snapped. nobody was hurt but the ride was closed for a bit while they replaced it. it seems that every intamin ride needs to get the kinks out of it eventually..

Post March 24th, 2005, 9:18 am
Premium Member

Yea, but Intamin rides seem to be extremely reliable[;)]. Well for the most part they are actually, minus my sarcasm. Superman has had its down times with killing and severly injuring people, but IMO that was the parks fault. For the restraint issue, to much pressure was applied or the Hydraluic lap bar was malfunctioning. Possibly there was a leak to big which let to much pressure escape. Either way, I would like to know, what would happen if it broke at like the 250 ft. mark? Wouldn't the train roll down the track? Maybe that is why, the train in station two, does not move to station one, until the train clears the lift, in case of a rollback. But if the train had enough momentum wouldnt it roll back through both stations. Unless there are a teeth like structure on the lift, that catches the train, if the cable breaks. Someone explain this further!

Post March 24th, 2005, 11:30 am

Originally posted by Brtnboarder495

Yea, but Intamin rides seem to be extremely reliable[;)]. Well for the most part they are actually, minus my sarcasm. Superman has had its down times with killing and severly injuring people, but IMO that was the parks fault. For the restraint issue, to much pressure was applied or the Hydraluic lap bar was malfunctioning. Possibly there was a leak to big which let to much pressure escape. Either way, I would like to know, what would happen if it broke at like the 250 ft. mark? Wouldn't the train roll down the track? Maybe that is why, the train in station two, does not move to station one, until the train clears the lift, in case of a rollback. But if the train had enough momentum wouldnt it roll back through both stations. Unless there are a teeth like structure on the lift, that catches the train, if the cable breaks. Someone explain this further!

1. Superman has only ever killed one person. Wasnt Intamins fault either IMO.

2. Yes, most ALL rollercoasters should have some form of anti-rollback. You thought it wouldnt have rollback teeth on it? [:O]

To better explain the situation at SROS...

SFNE modified a seat belt on every train to accomodate larger riders. This was NOT specified by Intamin because Intamin makes the belts at a certain length for safety reasons.

The park then let a very, very large man suffering from a disorder (cant remember name, but it has to do with muscle control) ride in that seat.

Then, they didnt get the lap bar down as far as it should have. So, seat belt too long + lap bar in incorrect position = accident waiting to happen.

As I see it, Intamins stuff is perfectly safe. They do have tighter restrictions than most coasters (size that is) but if you fit the size description, you will be perfectly ok.

Theres 2 hydraulic cylinders for each lap bar. Getting 1 to fail is incredibly hard, getting 2 is nearly impossible. Even at that, had the mans seat belt been the PROPER length and secured properly, he would still be safe to make it back to the station. Those seat belts are the safest ones Ive ever been in, impossible to "accidentally" unlatch since you need pressure from 2 opposite points to unlatch it. Not one button.

Post March 24th, 2005, 1:01 pm
Premium Member

Return to General Theme Park Discussions