Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions AT - Sold

AT - Sold

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post March 26th, 2005, 10:49 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Gouldy Cedar Point is pretty big too, although cannot match the size of Alton. 500 acres was the size of the park (i dont think this includes car parks, hotels etc) in 1998!!!!! The actual whole thing is around 700 acres including the hotels and the main Alton Towers road entrance in the gates (hope you get what i mean) I THINK!!!! lol.

But still, look at the second picture of the gardens that you posted up there, look how far the trees go back, surely you could fit CP in that picture alone!?

Yeah i know, and thats a tiny bit of the park aswell!!!! When you look at that you have to times it by alot to get the actualy size of the towers.

http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/interact/map.htm

When looking at this map, look at the gardens section shown on the map, and divide it by say 3, and thats how much of the gardens you can see. Then look how big the gardens is compared to the whole park shown on the map, and you will get an idea of how big Alton Towers is. [:D]

Post March 26th, 2005, 12:50 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Yea, CP is 364 Acres. Ive never thought it was a large park, but they have crammed many rides in there.

Im not sure if they would count Alton because of its "gardens" portion. Granted, I love going to those large gardens. THeres a few Ive been too here in Ohio that were just gorgeous, great photo ops. But, When they do those "most beautiful parks" they probably stick to parks that are just that...theme or amusement parks. The gardens, while part of Alton and certainly a beautiful part at that, its not exactly part of the amusement park experience.

Would I go in there? heck yea, after I ride nemmy and RITA enough. But even I wouldnt count it as part of the actual amusemtent area. Something like that is its own entity IMO.

And as its own entity, from the pictures Ive seen, QUITE beautiful.

Post March 26th, 2005, 1:06 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,574.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Well, it is part of the amusment experience, its the part of the experience that is designed especially for the O.A.P's hwo pay a fraction of the price simply for that reason, the reason being that they cannot really ride the rides and are only going to AT to go in the gardens. That new map of Alton Towers shows better than ever, the free way to get into AT, if your willing to walk for 3 hours anyway. Just outside Alton itself, there is a big farm (I forget the name now) there is a footpath that leads from the main road and around the edge of the farm, if you follow that for about an hour you come to a big forest basically. If you walk for about an hour and a half in the right direction through that forest, you come out in the Alton Towers gardens then it'll take you about half an hour to walk out of the gardens and into the park [:D] ......... not that I've done that or anything [lol]

Post March 26th, 2005, 2:51 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
What I mean by part of the experience is interaction with the main paths, rides, etc. Its obviously not, even though its connected. And if you pay that seperate price to get into JUST the gardens, its like in a sense, a water park thats connected to a park, like Cedar Point.

You dont classify Soak City as part of Cedar Points Amusement Park because its not, its a Water Park. It just shares the same land.

Just like those Gardens would be their own entity seperate from the Amusement Park. If they were part of the experience, you would walk through them to get to other rides, other parts of the park, etc.

BGW is really pretty though.

Post March 26th, 2005, 5:16 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Well i must admit, i did get entirly lost whilst trying to cross the gardens. I didn't want to wait 20 mins for the skyride, so i decided to walk down and back up the valley. Now most people would just walk straight down the hill and take a turning to the left. I however went to the right, following a path which lead down the valley. I figured sooner enough it would turn off...after walking down the path for 5 minutes and no looks of a turn off i thought great..i cant be arsed to walk back so i'll cut across...mistake no. 2. First off you have the problem of huge drop rocky drop off and also a nice little stream running through the middle...i had to put my mountain climbing techniques into action and try to cross the vally. I then came out behind some fence near the carpark behind Air. So i then had to do alot more walking along the top of a hill grabbing trees as i went to find the path i should have been on... Total time crossing 1 hour 20minutes...skyride time..2 minutes..In other words, dont go exploring the Gardens at Alton...there big...its take about 20 minutes just to walk from Oblivion to Nemesis

Post March 26th, 2005, 6:35 pm

Originally posted by Real

What I mean by part of the experience is interaction with the main paths, rides, etc. Its obviously not, even though its connected. And if you pay that seperate price to get into JUST the gardens, its like in a sense, a water park thats connected to a park, like Cedar Point.

You dont classify Soak City as part of Cedar Points Amusement Park because its not, its a Water Park. It just shares the same land.

Just like those Gardens would be their own entity seperate from the Amusement Park. If they were part of the experience, you would walk through them to get to other rides, other parts of the park, etc.

BGW is really pretty though.

But real, the gardens and the rides are all included in one price so there for are part of the same park!!!!! If they were seperate there would be different admissions for each!!!! Wouldnt there?

And edge, i know many people who have done that and it ends up near impossible. This is why i have learnt to wlak across the bridge next to the lake, you get amazing views of spinball on one side and the gardens on the other, and it leads straight to the flume, merry England and then to Kantanga Canyon!!!!

Post March 26th, 2005, 8:40 pm

Points on hand: 2,671.00 Points

I it's for the better. I think the gardens are beautiful, most people go to Alton Towers for the rides, why are there gardens? I think they're nice but it's a waste of space for rides and sfuff.

Post March 28th, 2005, 6:33 am

Points on hand: 1,895.00 Points
thats means will they domlish the black hole or will they keep it and make a new ride somewere els or probalie make a new land or just buy land and could go over the road. and what about thorpe parks new coaster for 2006 will they build it or domilsh it. and what about chesinton would that came more rubish worse or good

Post March 28th, 2005, 7:17 am

Originally posted by G-Force

I it's for the better. I think the gardens are beautiful, most people go to Alton Towers for the rides, why are there gardens? I think they're nice but it's a waste of space for rides and sfuff.

I think you've forgotten how old Alton Towers is. The actualy Mansion and the gardens cannot be changed. If any ride or attraction is too near to the gardens it will not get planning permission. If it destroys the view it will not get planning permission. It is to noisy it will not get planning permission. The old parts of Alton Towers and the surrounding villages are all protected by all these planning permission laws. It dates back a long time, and why destroy omething so beautiful. Im a coaster fanatic, but i still undersand about how we cannot wreck the view etc. Im actually thankful for all those planning restrictions because they bought us nemesis!!!!!!!! And they will be bringing us a very unique woody in 2007. Hopefully.

Post March 28th, 2005, 7:55 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,574.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I was at Alton Towers yesterday with all this fresh in my mind and I thought, well I'll go look at the gardens to really get a better idea of how big they are, so I did and JESUS! I had honestly never realised how far back the actual gardens part goes, neither had I realised that there is actually frigging houses in there! [lol]. I walked along one of the paths that just runs along the side and it just never seemed to end, after 10 minutes of walking, I turned round and went back because I was wasting valuable Nemesis time.

As jpecool said, I'm glad of these restrictions as well because it means the designer has got to do something unique to fit a ride in and so we end up with rides like Nemesis [:D]

"I think the gardens are beautiful, most people go to Alton Towers for the rides, why are there gardens? I think they're nice but it's a waste of space for rides and sfuff."

Dude, why would Alton Towers need to build a ride where the gardens are anyway? They have masses of space to build rides everywhere else. I also think that you are forgetting, Alton Towers is a family park for everyone of all ages. You know, meaning the kids can go off with mother and go on all the kiddy rides, the teenagers can go off with father and ride all the love off rides and grandma n' grandpa can go off and enjoy the gardens, you follow? See, the gardens are an attraction for people who like that sort of thing, its like their version of Nemesis [lol]. Plus if the gardens weren't there, there would be nowhere for the old fogies to go and no where for the chavs to go and smoke their weed and we couldn't have that [lol]

Post March 28th, 2005, 2:55 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Plus if the gardens weren't there, there would be nowhere for the old fogies to go and no where for the chavs to go and smoke their weed and we couldn't have that[lol]

lol, and you know how people get when they can't smoke thier weed.[redsmoke]

Post March 30th, 2005, 8:18 am

http://www.dubailand.ae/

The new place the DIC are making in Dubai. The DIC is the real name of the guys who have just bought Tussauds. Is this a bad or Good thing. Building this could mean the whole company gets more mony long term, but it could mean alot of attention to AT, TP, and CWoA will be lost. We will just have to wait and see.

Previous

Return to General Theme Park Discussions