Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Feeding Tube

Feeding Tube

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post March 25th, 2005, 11:13 pm

Points on hand: 4,004.00 Points

I decided to have no poll in this question. Will Terri Schiavo's feeding tube be re-inserted? I would say no. The Florida woman will keep her weakening. Tell me yes or no and why.
Last edited by RCTfansMal818 on March 25th, 2005, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post March 25th, 2005, 11:14 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
It is really sad on how they are doing this though. Letting one die of starvation or dehydration is just inhumane in our society. There must be another way to let her go, she obvioulsy is on life support, they should let her die that way.

Post March 26th, 2005, 1:35 am

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
okay, this topic will not go anywhere. if you ask me, this is an everyday event that the media got hold of. whoever is paying for life support should decide. if the parents want her alive then they should do everything they can to do it. but it is not a matter for the whole country to decide.

Post March 26th, 2005, 2:12 am
Premium Member

If the husband is full of the situtation, he should divorce and continue to move on with his life. He already has a girlfriend and children. That way the parents can decide what will happen. It is a waste to be kept alive by machines, but inhumane to be killed by starvation or dehyrdration.

Post March 26th, 2005, 2:48 am
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

want to know what I think? I think instead of starving her to death, give her the quick, and painless death that they give to animals and murderers, instead of giving her a slow painful death. I could care less, I know I wouldn't want to be retarded for the rest of my life, what a waste. It's sad, yes but it happens.
But if some one wants to pay to have her live, then fine, but if some one then whatever. It shouldn't be up to us. After all its not affecting us.

Post March 26th, 2005, 5:33 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,873.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

I've had a family member to be in this situation and we all, as a family decided to do it the quick way. Docs said there was no remedie so instead of let them continue suffering we gave them freedom, it was a relatie of ours and the whole Orihuela family was consulted and was unanimous. Though there was no husband or wife involved. IMO they should have done her the quick way rather than let her starve and dehydrate, that is indeed inhumane and a lawsuit should be brought on for torture and cruelty.

Post March 26th, 2005, 10:07 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

that is indeed inhumane and a lawsuit should be brought on for torture and cruelty

agreed, starving them to death is a sick way to end a life.

Post March 26th, 2005, 11:56 pm

"that they give to animals and murderers"

actually, the lethal injection used to murder murderers (redundant eh?) although quick, once it's injected it's supposed to burn like hell. then it stops the heart, giving the feeling of dizzyness and "whoooooo" that comes along with suffocation / drowning while the chemical burns through your arteries. it's basically the same as injecting you with acid and tossing you in a lake. starvation doesnt sound much better to me. if you ask me, the fastest, most painless and least agonizing way to die would be to be shot in the head and not know its going to happen. quick, painless, and unexpected. but also if you ask me, i think that no matter the situation, if there's a way to keep someone alive, then they should be kept alive. but i've also never been in a situation where i hurt so much that i want to die (?)

Post March 27th, 2005, 2:02 am

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

I don't think they shoot her in the head, but I do think they should just let her go and not starve her death, it kinda, not really very fun. for her, or anyone really. But the whole feeding tube thing kinda grosses me out. but I agree with everyone else. (P.S. I wouldn't want to be retarted for the rest of my life either, I'd probably ask to be dropped of the CN tower, without a parashoot.)

Post March 27th, 2005, 3:22 am

she's not retarted, she's in a coma. so basically she's a vegatable. and because she's in a COMA- that means she could die in it, wake up in 30 years, wake up tomorrow, or never wake up at all. she's not suffering either. comas are painless and from what i've read, they're basically like having a dream that doesnt end- unless you wake up.

Post March 27th, 2005, 7:03 pm

Points on hand: 5,120.00 Points

I think they should put the tube back in until they resolve this.

Post March 27th, 2005, 7:25 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

coaster992001 - Lethal injection is done is 3 stages
1st - Sedative, puts you to sleep
2nd - Paralysing Drug, shuts down your nervous system
3rd - Lethal Injection, Potassium Chloride is injected into your arteries killing you

In other words it's painless, your both sleeping and paralysed whilst the KCL goes to work.

I couldn't really care less about the whole case. As someone said, it's just a story the media got a grip off, and since the arseholes dont have anything better to make nonesense BS about, they decided to go with it.

Post March 27th, 2005, 9:40 pm

Post March 31st, 2005, 5:42 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

and she is finally dead. Out of any misery she was in, and in a couple of weeks, we won't have to hear about it again.

Post March 31st, 2005, 7:56 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Post March 31st, 2005, 8:09 pm

Points on hand: 2,671.00 Points

It so sad that she died. I knew her feeding tube wouldn't get re-inserted. I thought her parents should of let her go but not that way. But if she was severely brain damaged wouldn't her nerves that control pain not be able to feel it because they were severely damaged? But what led to this I heard was that she was belemic and the low pottasium gave her a heart attack and resulted in this. It really is a shame, but wouldn't her husband know she was belemic? If so why didn't he stop her? I really do hate that guy, he has already killed her and now he wants to cremate her and her parents want to bury her? What's next? I really hope somebody does away with him!

Post March 31st, 2005, 8:36 pm
Premium Member

No, IMO its good that she died, now she is relieved of all the pain, and can be with god. Now the media wont be spoiled with this anymore either... I hope. Then there is the legal stuff. x_x

Post March 31st, 2005, 8:38 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Yes, the only really living part of her brain was the Brain stem, which was kept her vitals alive.

She lost just about everything else, including those parts of the brain which register pain and suffering. So really she had no clue what was going on.

BTW, people who have buliemia and anorexia are very good at keeping it a secret. Ive dealt with one on a daily basis for the last 3 years. Shes been able to keep it from both her mom and brother (whom she lives with) for over 4 years, so its quite possible.

She uses such techniques as throwing up with running water on (in the bathroom), fans, no one home, etc.

Buliemia is harder to target because they eat, so they seem normal. But they never gain weight. Tell tale signs are loss of hair, energy and frailness. A woman who really wants to protect her identity will probably be able to keep it from anyone if they play their cards right. I would indeed say the husband should have been more intrusive, but it may have been too late.

So as for the husband stopping her, how do you do that? Buliemia, like any other sickness, is an addiction of the mind. Its one of the hardest things to crack and after years of doing it you permanantly damage your body beyond repair. Even if he had found out, she probably would have needed clinical help and he couldnt have forced her to do it, she would have had to do it on her own free will.

Obviously her looks were FAR more important to her than her husband and family. Whats more messed up? Him not finding out, or her putting herself before her husband?

Also, whats wrong with cremation? I find burial another way of a family "not letting go". ITs also rediculously expensive these days. I wish to be cremated when Im gone because I dont want my family and friends to make an annual trek to some cemetary to cry and weep over my dead body.

Instead, i want them to share stories, pictures and video of me, crying, but smiling at the same time. No one does that over a grave, they do it at home in the comfort of one another.

Her parents are the sick ones IMO. Who keeps a "body" alive for 15 years? She was barely enough to be considered a human, considering she was thoughtless, feelingless and unaware of anything and everything. What kind of existance is that and what kind of parents do that to their own child?

Obviously ones who CANT LET GO. Obviously they still cant let go either, which is just going to bring them more pain and more suffering. Not by anyone else, but by their own choice.

Anyone else see the irony of her being buliemic, getting into this position, then the fight being over the feeding tube?

Post March 31st, 2005, 9:21 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post March 31st, 2005, 10:34 pm
Premium Member

I totally agree, the only thing is that I can feel the parent's pain. Think how hard it would be to see your own child dying, the organism that you created, and then you are forced to make a desicion to let him/her live or die. I think at that point emotion overcomes your mind, which was the case here for the parents.

Post March 31st, 2005, 11:33 pm

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

Post April 1st, 2005, 12:37 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
I understand it was probably really hard for them to let go of her, but it was the healthy decision.

Its times like that where you have to overcome those feelings. Have too.

Post April 1st, 2005, 7:43 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

And apparently she knew the Lord ... so the news today is GOOD!

Return to Off Topic Discussion