Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Massive Phantom Steel (Round 1 Entry) Preview!

Massive Phantom Steel (Round 1 Entry) Preview!

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Points on hand: 4,164.00 Points
I had planned to not publish any photos of the layout until I was done and ready to upload, but I'm just so pleased with how it came out I had to show 'em ;)

My concept on this ride is pretty original I think. It's really a looper in name only.

The train leaves the station and goes through a helix, then enters the first inversion, an inline twist.

After going through a diving helix, the train goes through the 2nd (vertical loop) and the 3rd and 4th (heartline loop) inversions.

Then it rips through a cutback and hi-speed cork. After a quick turn to bring it up to the lift, the looping portion of the ride is over. Now the REAL fun begins.

The train then goes up a 225ft lift hill. The total height difference of the ride is 284ft, from the top of the lift to the exit of the hi-speed corkscrew.

The "first" drop. 167ft into a small trench, the only terrain mod on the ride.

The train then goes over an airtime hill and curves down the hillside, and back up into the air through a quick directional change.

The second large drop, 169ft.

The train then rises through an upward spiral, and drops down the rides largest drop, which is 185ft. The bottom of that drop is 267ft below the lifthill crest.

The massive parabolic hill. Might not look like much, but it provides 4.3 seconds of perfect, slight negative g, floater air. It's just so utterly perfect.

The the train flies up into this corkscrew hill.

Hopping over the brakeruns.

The hillside curves, a brief respite from the intensity, to make the finale that much more insane.

The last straight drop on the ride, "only" a 116ft. To put that in perspective, in early 1978 the tallest coaster in the world (Loch Ness Monster) had a first drop of 114ft.

Horseshoe curve.

A final wicked climb, onto the brakes.

Check out how intricatly the brake runs flow through the rest of the ride. After a journey of 7244ft, you return to the station.

Now I've got to do the supports. With luck, this will go up Sunday.

Post April 15th, 2005, 9:47 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Like I said all along ... this is insane man ... ya'll, having tested this, that airtime hill ... you just have no idea how perfect it is.

Post April 16th, 2005, 12:08 am

I've started work on supports:

No, your eyes aren't decieveing you. No, no trick photography was used.

Post April 16th, 2005, 12:08 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Post April 16th, 2005, 12:09 am

Post April 16th, 2005, 6:15 am

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Post April 16th, 2005, 7:31 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Looks very nice. Its now made me kinda nervous about my entry. It aint as original as yours, it is still more of a looper, but mine has lots of adrenaline i hope. Yours looks very very very good. Cant wait to ride it!!!! [:D]

Post April 16th, 2005, 8:53 am

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
wow.. that looks like the kind of ride that *looks* like it'll turn out either amazing or crappy as hell. knowing its tyler making it, its most likely gonna be freaking awesome. those elements look awesome!

Post April 16th, 2005, 9:17 am

Points on hand: 3,732.00 Points

crap! lol. at least i'm not in your group. after viewing some of the rides already uploaded, i already started to get a little worried. my tame little "King Snake" coaster is nothing compared to these. but, what I'm lacking is the whole terrain idea. from what I see, this ride is going to be more of a monster than a coaster that soars only a few feet above the ground. the contest idea was to have a "Terrain Coaster" and cjd said that's what he was looking for. and without being able to move the ground except for trenches, i'm expecting to see more of the ride than i want to in the beginning. so i hope this coaster at least is hidden and uses the terrain well, cause then I would feel completely thrown off from the whole competition idea...

don't worry, i think it's going to kick ass anayway! [dorkhat]

Post April 16th, 2005, 10:20 am

Here's an ultra hi-res shot of the entire ride. I'm just gonna link to it because it's pretty big.

http://cg2.org/ps-18.jpg

Post April 16th, 2005, 11:01 am

ermm...isn't that just a tad too big? lol.

i'm still sticking to what i said. the idea of this round was to build a terrained coaster, not a flat coaster over the lake! that corkscrew coaster looks more terrained then the main one. but i still don't trust the track work, since last sunday you managed to build all this and can say it's smooth...then you must be a genius or something! heartlining looks good, but make sure it actually works! it's easy for me to tell actual heartline then just a track that looks like it is. but still, the layout would be kick ass for a normal flat coaster, but terrain wise, it's lacking a lot!

no offense, I'm just giving you my early opinion! [dorkhat]

Post April 16th, 2005, 11:02 am

Dude, the ride goes over the lake for like a second. The entire ride is fitted to the terrain.

Post April 16th, 2005, 11:04 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

A total of 14 posts later, the obvious factor comes out.
I see a ton of grass in those pictures ... am I imagining lots of land and only a glimpse of a lake?

Geesh ... [stoning]

Post April 16th, 2005, 5:05 pm

AH! lol, hmm...i think i noticed that. i was just saying the idea is a terrain ride. i don't care if it goes over the lake for a split second, i was just pointing out that the idea (lol, im repeating myself) is to hug the terrain, use it to it's fullest, and add to the "what's going to happen next?" factor. don't get angry! i'm not dissing the ride itself (still looks kick ass)! i just want to get the point across that the idea is to use the terrain, not hover over it.

and by the way, how did you make that roller-coaster 3Ds? and don't rush your supports!!! see ya![dorkhat]

[edit] maybe i'm wrong...and maybe it does use the terrain to its fullest, but just looking at the pics kinda feels like it doesn't. but none the less, don't get all pissy about what im saying!

Post April 16th, 2005, 5:43 pm

Post April 16th, 2005, 6:01 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Tyler my ride is kinda like yours in the fact that in parts it uses terrain and in others it doesnt. Yours obviously takes advantage of the dips of the hillside which is still using the terrain.

Post April 16th, 2005, 6:12 pm

Exactly, and ther are some bits that really use it. This section for instance:

Notice how the carousel turn (and the lift for that matter) are configured to use the terrain so that isn't as high above the ground as the height of the elements would normally require.

Post April 16th, 2005, 7:56 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,367.00 Points
Originally posted by deadnsleepin
but i still don't trust the track work, since last sunday you managed to build all this and can say it's smooth...then you must be a genius or something! heartlining looks good, but make sure it actually works! it's easy for me to tell actual heartline then just a track that looks like it is.

Yep, 100% smooth, thank you tools, nice corkscrew coaster 3ds too.

Post April 16th, 2005, 8:00 pm

Well, it's more of a mine train / family coaster kinda thing, really.

Post April 16th, 2005, 8:46 pm

Ok, work is very nearly done. All I've got left are the trees.
Expect to see this as soon as the site ticks over into the next week.

Post April 16th, 2005, 8:54 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points

Post April 16th, 2005, 9:09 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

This looks great. I smell a very high seed with this coaster.

Post April 16th, 2005, 9:27 pm
Premium Member

Those supports aint working for me though, spend some more time on em will ya? Everything looks great, and then you get to the supports and its just kind of... ick.

Post April 16th, 2005, 9:31 pm

Yea, since it's not like B&M supports look like that or anything...

Anyways, I just prepared the final track package, and I'll post it here as soon as "next week" begins. However, some of you might know of my website, and if one were to happen to visit it, they might like what they find...

Post April 16th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Premium Member

That pic depicts one support beam meeting nearly at the top of the other, which then connects to the track, whereas yours just forms a triangle from the ground to the track.

Next

Return to Hard Hat Area