Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Star Wars coaster

Star Wars coaster

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post May 1st, 2005, 7:40 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

There was a very old coaster themed after Star Wars, but the effects were made with supports and the track was very bad technically. I will be utilizing full-blown 3ds effects, and a much better coaster to go with it. In this coaster, you will blast off from Tatooine through hyperspace, get pulled into the Death Star, battle the storm troopers and pass by dueling manakins of Darth Vader and Obi-Wan, and attack the Death Star with your friends in the rebel fleet. The 3ds effects will be breaking new ground. You will get to see animation of laser blasts from Tie Fighters, the cannons that destroy the Death Star, and the massive Death Star explosion itself, through a special 3ds technique I discovered.

I just started on this coaster, and I expect it will not be finished for many months to come, or even as much as two years, but I will be working on this ground breaking coaster every chance I get. Questions? Comments? Post them up.
Last edited by cjd on May 1st, 2005, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post May 1st, 2005, 7:49 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points

Post May 1st, 2005, 11:46 pm

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
I had the exact same idea, but never got around to start [;)]Anyways it sounds great! So your basing this of only Episode4? Would also be cool to see the snow battle at Hoth [:)]

Post May 1st, 2005, 11:59 pm
cjd

If this coaster works as well as I see it, I will continue to make more of them. The second one would be the battle on Hoth, and the third would be the final dogfight above the second death star. I would use all 3 if I could, but you can only fit so much into one coaster.

Post May 2nd, 2005, 12:09 am

sounding very cool. If you want a tester or something feel free to contact me [;)] This prodject sounds great, and I would love to help .

Post May 2nd, 2005, 12:31 am
cjd

It will be a long time before this track is ready for any sort of testing. The track isn't going to be a big deal, but creating the giant 3D model of the Death Star is going to be a ridiculously complex task. Toss in the intricate x-wings, tie fighters, all the laser blasts, hyperspace and asteroid effects, and the animation of the exploding Death Star, and you can see the kind of scale I am working on.

Of course, I will be getting some help from my friend, the Star Wars Trilogy DVD box set, and PowerDVD. (That's how I assembled the cool picture at the top of the page...)

Post May 2nd, 2005, 3:28 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
btw, cjd, the death star didn't blew up by cannons, on both death stars, proton torpedo's where shot to the core, causing a cascade

Post May 2nd, 2005, 4:22 am

Points on hand: 5,806.00 Points

Post May 2nd, 2005, 4:29 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
I think I have an idea how you are going to "animate". Good luck, that WILL be a task.

Post May 2nd, 2005, 5:07 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

isn't the template of NL a little to small for a death star?

btw: deathstar I or dsII?

Post May 2nd, 2005, 6:18 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Man you lot no too much about star wars, i dont know a thing about it. Well actually thats a lie. I know there was a guy called darth vadar. lol.

Anyway, sounds great CJD, no matter how much i dont like star wars. How are you animating these then??? I have always wanted to do something like that, and i had a theme and everything, but never knew how to do it. Cant wait to see your coaster now, even if i have to wait a few years, lol.

Post May 2nd, 2005, 8:49 am

Hyyper: Deathstar 1 since he is basing this on Episode 4.

Post May 2nd, 2005, 10:05 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Cjd, if you need any bground info about Sw, i've got 7 3inch folders info about starwars...

Post May 2nd, 2005, 11:07 am
cjd

BTW, here's how the animation works.

As you can see, the proton torpedo is really a long stream of proton torpedos. They are separated by several slanted 3ds plates that look exactly like the far wall of the trench. They hide the proton blasts until the train goes directly overhead. For a brief second, the blast is visible. Then, it dissapears just as the next blast becomes visible, giving the illusion of a proton torpedo blasting from the coaster car and hitting the exhaust port.

now, here is how I am doing the animation of the exploding Death Star.

Where you see a black line, picture a flat panel stretching across the track with the following picture sequence.

As the train moves through the tunnel, each image is sequentially viewed for a split second, and it wnds up looking like you are watching the death star explode. It takes alot of 3ds, but it looks really cool.

Post May 2nd, 2005, 11:33 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post May 2nd, 2005, 11:38 am
cjd

That depends how long it takes me to learn Anim8or.

Post May 2nd, 2005, 1:52 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

If your struggling with Anim8or at all, i recommend you contact Dirk. he is very good with anim8or. Im okay with it, not too good. You will see my anim8or work on my new track for the contest!!!!!!!!

Anyway, sounds great CJD, and its a really clever idea.

Post May 2nd, 2005, 3:13 pm
cjd

Here is the setup for the NL template. This should show how the different scenes are spaced compared to the size of the template, as well as the scene sequencing.

Post May 2nd, 2005, 4:51 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

woo, looks nice, what style wil it be?

and cjd, i bet i've found a needle in a haysteck earlier then you finishing this

Post May 2nd, 2005, 5:31 pm
cjd

Inverted Coaster (2-seat).

BTW, I have started on the Tatooine scene, and I will post some screenshots as soon as enough of it is done.

Post May 2nd, 2005, 6:34 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Should be awesome if the idea works. I still remember Toerti's Star Wars coaster, how much did that rule back in the day? [lol] Looks like the next generation of illusions and other crazy shizzle upon us

Post May 2nd, 2005, 6:36 pm
cjd

Okay, I am officialy fed up with Anim8or. I can't get the textures to line up, and the interface is frustrating me. Can anyone help? A simple lesson on cutting holes in objects and getting textures to line up is all I really need. I need to get the textures on my 3ds Tatooine backgrounds right, so that the horizon shows up on my 67x49 object block. I am going to need to cut several holes in the Death Star for the trench run, space ports, and hallways inside. So, can someone help? I'm not going to get very far using the trial version of Tia's Object Creator.

Post May 2nd, 2005, 6:52 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

so are you planning to do something like the train scene in this flash movie?
http://www.lodger.tv/tuote/ilovedeath.swf
Warning!!! Make sure its ok with your parents, contains simulated stick figure sex

P.S Read the tutorials, CJD, it really helps, and tells you how to cut those holes you want to cut/

Post May 2nd, 2005, 6:55 pm

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

Originally posted by Real

I think I have an idea how you are going to "animate". Good luck, that WILL be a task.

you should know after TTD-2003's lights LOL. how many weeks of screwing around with 3ds Max did it take for you to learn that?

Post May 2nd, 2005, 6:56 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Meh, don't care much about this coaster....not much of a Star Wars fan.

Next

Return to Hard Hat Area