Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Alton Towers

Alton Towers

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post May 2nd, 2005, 7:18 pm

Points on hand: 2,970.00 Points
Right it's as simple as this I am going to AT in a couple of weeks. To anyone out there how good is Rita, because in my book Nemesis is the best ride I have ever been on (and I have been on loads of rides) after all these years. This is not a poll just want to know if queuing 2 and half hours are worth it.

Post May 3rd, 2005, 3:43 am

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Depends what day you go to AT, it would probaly be a good idea to good on a weekday rather than a weekend. As for Rita, it is a pretty awesome ride and is porbaly worth a good 1 hour queueing. The launch is simply like nothing else in the UK and is an experience in itself. Although overall i would say Nemesis is still better, the launch on Rita is simply fantastic and is worth the experience in itself

Post May 3rd, 2005, 4:07 am

Going to be going on a Monday so glad to see queueing time should be about 1 hour. Just seems to be evey time a new ride comes out at AT I get stuck in a 2 hour plus queue. Can't wait to go on Rita now, but like you said I will be comparing it to Nemesis as well. Thanks for that bit of info Edge.

Post May 3rd, 2005, 12:03 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

Yp, Rita is great, doesnt quite beat nemesis though. Although be prepared for that launch on Rita. It feels a whole lot faster than it looks.

Post May 4th, 2005, 3:08 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,549.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Doesn't matter how long you have to queue, ride it on the front row or I'll cut your knob off. It'll be the best ride experience of your life, not matter how much you like Nemesis. I don't think the ride as a whole beats nemesis as a thrill but seriously, the launch, oh my god. The launch on the front row was like being kicked in the face by a large african monkey with a slightly singed left ear, best ride experience ever [:D]

Post May 5th, 2005, 4:27 am

Well looks like I will have to go on the front now or my wife will be very disappointed for a long time or leave me!!!!!.

Will be going in a couple of weeks, so can't wait to meet that large African monkey.

Does Rita have a separate queue for the front?

Post May 5th, 2005, 1:34 pm

Post May 5th, 2005, 1:50 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

All rocket coasters might have one then, since I know Xcelerator does.

Post May 5th, 2005, 2:25 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,549.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

All major coasters with lengthy trains that I have ever ridden have had special front row queues

Post May 5th, 2005, 2:29 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Post May 5th, 2005, 2:30 pm

Points on hand: 3,540.00 Points
yes, i have ridden top thrill dragster and storm runner they do indeed have a separate queue for the front row, which might take forever, but its defenetly worth it....

Post May 5th, 2005, 2:49 pm

Points on hand: 2,092.00 Points
Bank: 10.00 Points

That is an interesting point about front-row queues, how many american coasters actually have them?

Pretty much all the major UK coasters have them... Rita, Air, Nemesis, Colossus, Nemesis Inferno, Vampire etc.

Did You Know:
That even when we are running 3 trains, the Air front-row queue can top out at a massive 60 mins additional queue!?

Post May 5th, 2005, 2:53 pm

Points on hand: 3,540.00 Points
yes, im pretty sure most coasters here in america have them too, i know that all IOA rides have them and Busch's 2 largest coasters have them as well, so my guess is that most coasters have one....

Post May 5th, 2005, 6:17 pm

Did You Know:
That even when we are running 3 trains, the Air front-row queue can top out at a massive 60 mins additional queue!

Thats why after queuing a week for most rides i dont feel like waiting the additional time just to ride in the front seat. Espiecaly with the tiered seating on the Intamins these days

Post May 6th, 2005, 1:24 am

Lets just hope because I'm going midweek I might get away with a small queue, and not one the size of the worlds biggest conga.

Post May 6th, 2005, 5:59 am

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
Warner Bros Movie World Spain doesn't have a front row que I've heard.

Post May 6th, 2005, 5:42 pm

Points on hand: 2,772.00 Points

Kraken does. I waited ages. But they were looking for a singe rider so i was lucky.
And there is also one for the back to. Kraken, Montu, Kumba etc.

Post May 19th, 2005, 7:55 am

Well after all the waiting and excitement to go on Rita it didn't happen
Here?????????s my story of Alton Towers
Got to Alton towers and headed straight for Rita, passed Spinball Whizzer only 1 car running??
Got to Rita queued for 45 mins with 1 car running. Nearly at the front now started to rain, then got the announcement Rita is having technical difficulties. After 30 mins a couple of test runs Rita opens again, not long now (still raining and very cold) then after 1 run we get Rita is having technical difficulties AGAIN!!!!!!!!. We then get a member of staff saying don't know what?????????s wrong could be ages. So after nearly 2 hours half of it spent in the rain decide to try later (don't want to spend all my entrance money on 1 ride) and go for something to eat. After waiting 20 mins in McDonalds to get food came out checked on Rita still not working. Decide to catch cable car to forbidden valley breaks down while hanging over gardens swinging nicely in the wind. Go straight to Air broke down (now the highlight of the day) went to Nemesis and for some strange reason a small queue rode 3 times on the trot all at the back AWESOME. Went back to Air now working got on in 10 mins great. Headed over to Spinball (went on Duel and Minetrain as we passed) massive queue still only 1 car running??? Proceeded to Oblivion. Waited 45 Mins Oblivion Broke down 20 mins later working again Intense thrill rush Yippee. Headed back to Rita queue quite big now BUT 2 cars running so won't take that long WRONG Rita is having technical difficulties and I want to hatchet the man doing that voice now. So let?????????s go on the Corkscrew WRONG broke down train stuck at top of lift hill. So what do we do now! Went back and rode Enterprise and Submission, checked on Spinball now running 3 cars AMAZING so didn't take long to go on. It's now getting very late and nearly closing time, went back to Rita (Corkscrew still broke) and so was everyone else in Alton Towers so gave it up as a bad job and went home.

So not the luckiest day at Alton Towers I have had. Now don't get me wrong I know rides do breakdown I've been stuck at the top of Oblivions lift chain for 20 mins once, and on a couple of other rides. But are Alton Towers slipping a bit, because reading another thread that was on here not so long ago they suffered lots of broken down rides as well. Perhaps they need to hire more Mechanics like in RCT HA HA!! To sort this out because they certainly make enough money. Still had a good day but very frustrating.

I will be going back later this year and hopefully I will get to ride Rita this time

Return to General Theme Park Discussions