Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Memory and video cards

Memory and video cards

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post May 5th, 2005, 8:17 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
I currently have the Radeon 9600 Mobile 128 mb video card and 256 mb of memory. I am planning to upgrade my video card to a Radeon 9800 256 mb video card and either 512 mb or 1 gig of memory. What would upgrading these two departments do? I am pretty sure the video card is for demanding graphic programs (NL), but what does memory do? I have heard it helps run games better which is one of my goals. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps. Summary of current specs:

Processor: 1ghz
Memory: 256 MB
Video Card: Radeon 9600 128 mb

Future specs:

Processor: 1 ghz
Memory: 512 mb or 1 gig
Video Card: Radeon 9800 256 mb

Post May 5th, 2005, 8:26 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Simple answer: Your computer graphics would be enhanced and your machine would be able to run more applications or store more information (like heavy graphics) in RAM ....

What is the short term outlook? Your FPS will improve when you are in the sim. ;-) Go for the 1GB RAM ... just ne sure you have enough expansion slots and that you buy the same type of RAM that you have now. (DRAM, SRAM, etc. That info is normally printed on a label on the face of the RAM in case you need to find it.)

Post May 5th, 2005, 8:39 pm
Premium Member

Ok thanks ;) I work on a mac and I believe it is all the same but I will go check right now.

EDIT: Ok well my current exact memory is "256 MB DDR SDRAM" . On the apple site for the memory that I can buy specifically under my generation of my computer it says:

512 MB: 512MB PC2700 DDR333 SO-DIMM 200pin
1 Gig: 1GB PC2700 DDR333 SO-DIMM

Because these two options are under the exact model of my computer on Apple.com, I can't imagine that they are incompatible.

I would like to get the 1 gig - but it is $500. Maybe because I am on a laptop and memory is more expensive on a laptop.

Another question: When it says upgrades and then lists the 512mb and 1 gig options, does that mean that the upgrade adds that memory or will give me a total of that memory?

Post May 5th, 2005, 8:55 pm

Points on hand: 5,120.00 Points

when you upgrade, I am assuming you will be taking the old RAM out, which in that case means that you will then have a total of 512mb or a total of 1 gig.

Post May 5th, 2005, 9:07 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

you should get a PC with the same specifications, since it runs games better now. I assume your talking about upgrading your MAC?

Post May 5th, 2005, 9:15 pm
Premium Member

Yep, my mac. I really can't afford to get a PC and my dad is against me having another computer in my room. This isn't only for gaming it is to improve over all performance. I really don't like the Windows userface either, but lets not get into another flame war. Thanks Shortkid 422, that would make sense. I am going to go to the Apple store on Saturday and for my b-day present my dad is going to buy the new 9800 video card (if its compatible :P) and if it is not compatible he is going to chip in for my 1 gig of memory.

Post May 5th, 2005, 9:45 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points

Post May 6th, 2005, 3:01 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Get a machine with Windows Media Center. Seriously, more stripped down than Apples and I tell ya, if you only use certain stuff, when you customize the interface it cant get any simpler.

But I can understand 2 computers...that would suck. I have one, its enough (even though its a beast!)

Post May 6th, 2005, 7:24 am
Premium Member

Originally posted by Real

Get a machine with Windows Media Center. Seriously, more stripped down than Apples and I tell ya, if you only use certain stuff, when you customize the interface it cant get any simpler.

But I can understand 2 computers...that would suck. I have one, its enough (even though its a beast!)

In my dreams! Maybe for Christmas I could get one. Or I could use the money I work for to put it towards it. I will see. A reason I want to load 1 gig of memory onto my mac is so that it can run VP7 (requires a minimum of 512 mb), because I have heard that it is terribly slow on 512 mb. I wish there was a demo, because for such an expensive product - there should be.

Return to Off Topic Discussion