Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Rita, UK's No.1 Coaster?

Rita, UK's No.1 Coaster?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Rita, UK's No.1 Coaster?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes : 25

Post June 1st, 2005, 12:39 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

I recently recieved a email from Alton Towers claiming that Rita is now the new no.1 coaster is England over Nemesis!

It's official ????????? Rita ????????? Queen of Speed is now King of Rides, nudging Nemesis into second place for the first time in over a decade.
Nemesis has been consistently voted the No 1 rollercoaster in the UK, and in the top ten worldwide, by park visitors and experts alike. Now though, Rita has raced into poll position in the battle of the thrills.

Hair raising, eye watering, Rita ????????? the Ferrari beater! Just some of the accolades this ride has gathered since opening in April. Rita ????????? Queen of Speed is one fast lady, accelerating at an awesome 0-100kph in 2.5 seconds and generating a sinus-clearing 4.7G force. Her racy attributes have ensured that she is pulling in the punters ????????? and it is these rollercoaster aficionados that have named her king of rides.

Do you guys agree Rita is now the Uk number 1?

Post June 1st, 2005, 12:41 pm

http://www.altontowers.com/themepark/ride_rita.asp

Here is the new advert also, i know its been posted somewhere already, but just in case

Post June 1st, 2005, 12:46 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

I haven't ridden any coasters in the UK, but based off of looks, these are my top 3, in order:

1. Megafobia
2. Grand National
3. Rita

Post June 1st, 2005, 12:48 pm

Dont forget Big Dipper there Intaminfan397. This is also one hell of an intense ride. I'm am honestly too scared to put my hands up on the first drop in the back seat, it honestly feels like you are going to fall straight out

Post June 1st, 2005, 1:30 pm

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
I've only ridden 4 coasters in the UK, but I think Nemesis is the best. Second I would say Megafobia. Looks like a wicked ride. I'm sure Rita is good, but you got some other rides that looks amazing.

Post June 1st, 2005, 2:30 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
I'm not an expert in UK coastin' but from pics i can tell that nemesis and air look (way) better than rita

Post June 1st, 2005, 2:38 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,574.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Not for me, although I have said it comes close in the past. I remember when I rode it on the front row and I have to say, probably was the best ride experience I've had on a ride, but you have to take all things in to consideration here. I know Nemesis doesn't last for a particularly long time, but it lasts a lot longer than its 17 second long friend Rita. So for a pure adrenaline blast, then yes Rita is better than Nemesis, but for an overall better and much more sustained thrill then Nemesis is clearly the best. Although, if either ride is the best in the UK is open to debate as far as I'm concerned.

Post June 1st, 2005, 3:52 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

N, just no. I dont think it is the best! nemesis beats rita IMO! At first after riding Rita i thought OMG better than nemesis, but then i rode nemesis again and i wasnt sure. BUT i have ridden nemesis so many times and it has NEVER bored me, and the layout and everything just astounds me every time. Rita cannot beat nemesis now i think about it.

Im going to blackpool in October for the first time, and im looking forward to it so much. I might just experience a new favourite coaster!!! [:D] The big one, Big dipper, and Grand National all look really cool. [:D]

Post June 1st, 2005, 5:01 pm

The Big One sucks majour ass. Really is an awful. Grand National and Valhalla on the other hands are musts!

Post June 1st, 2005, 6:15 pm

Cool, thanks for the tip edge. Im looking forward to Bling the most! [:D]

Post June 2nd, 2005, 9:36 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Originally posted by hyyyper

I'm not an expert in UK coastin' but from pics i can tell that nemesis and air look (way) better than rita

Air? You are kidding me right?
http://www.themeparkreview.net/alton.zip

Please watch that video, then tell me how good air looks.

Post June 2nd, 2005, 10:34 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

All I know is I am riding this tomorrow and it looks very similar to air ... I'll let you know what I find out. But then again, I am old and don't really know what I am talking about anyway.

http://www.sharktums.com/superman.zip

Post June 2nd, 2005, 11:50 am

Points on hand: 4,230.00 Points
to me the coasters in england look like most of them suck compared to america's, however exp. g-force looks awesome! (same with other german and european rides)

Post June 2nd, 2005, 12:29 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
AIR looks even better know...., srry real, but i reeely like that one...

Post June 2nd, 2005, 12:30 pm
ish User avatar

Points on hand: 1,239.00 Points

I can tell expedition geforce is awesome!
especially the first drop from the first row.
it's just the perfect combnation of elements.
but I think that nemesis is still better then rita.
it looks just so awesome...

Post June 2nd, 2005, 2:22 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,574.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Real, what?

I don't see how that video makes Air look bad, its no slower around its course than Superman is around the latter stages of its course (after the Pretzel loop I mean), All 3 of the rolling elements feel really cool especially the first one where you are rolled onto your back, it does feel great. Granted its not a particularly big thrill but that is in no way the idea behind the ride, the idea was that you feel like you are flying and the seats combine with the speed of the ride and the way the ride is layed out to make for a really great feeling. I'm not a fan of the ride myself as I much prefer a big thrill, BUT a lot of people (my parents for one) much prefer unusual feelings etc etc, my mom absolutely loves Air, she thinks it pwns [lol]. Air perfectly fills out its specification and its engineering is flawless, the single smoothest coaster I have ever ridden and while not creating a particularly big thrill, it is definitely a god ride ...... although I wouldn't queue for more than 45 minutes to ride it [lol]

coaster992001, true say, shame that ey it, tis a nation of coaster lovers and thrill seekers and yet theres just nothing special here in England, aside from the obvious of course. We have the most themeparks per square mile out of every country in the world, because we all love going to themeparks, the problem is, there isn't much money here for this sort of thing. Aside from a few major park owners, there really isn't much money to build rides, so most parks have to make do with a couple of Togos or a Pinfari looper. If we had as much money as you lot and the laws here weren't so stringent, we could build much better rides than you could even dream of [:D] [lol] well at least, rides that rivaled coasters from other countries. I'm really quite mystified as to why more money isn't invested in the theme park industry here in the UK, we're a nation of coaster lovers, everyone likes theme parks here (except old people, but they just smell anyway) and yet it seems to me that only a few parks can afford to build big rides, with lots of themeing or a top designer or a good manufacturer ..... its just unfair [V] [lol]

Post June 2nd, 2005, 4:09 pm

^^^ EXACTLY!!! [:D]

Real, IMO, ar isnt the greatest ride in the world either, but it is still a wicked coaster. Everytime i go i have at least one ride on it, it is good enough to pull me away from nemesis and ripsaw for at least half an hour. [:D] Especially now Ripsaw isnt working with the fountains much!!!

Anyway, Air wasnt made for a thrill, like gouldy said, just to give the unique sensation of flying. You cannot imagine the feeling you get on air unless you have ridden it, probably not even if you have been on S:UF, as they have completely different layouts. Yes you can imagine part of the feeling, but Air has that sustained flat on your back period, which S:UF doesnt have, and S:UF has that pretzel loop which Air doesnt.

My sister and my mum, who dont really like coasters that much (Until i dragged them on nemesis that is MWAHAHAHAHA) love Air. In fact, Air is my mums favourite ride she has ever ridden. My sisters is Oblivion, which i find weird, its not as good as nemmy, no way.

Anyway, im going off topic, Air is good.

Post June 2nd, 2005, 6:33 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Actually, SUF is faster than air even after the pretzel loop. Ive been on 2 of the 3 SUF's and Ive got some really good quality onrides of Air and it goes much, much slower. The one thing I like about SUF's slow ending is the slow twist. Its a cool feeling to watch the world spin. But Air is agonizingly slow throughout the entire ride.

Talk to people who have ridden both, theres no comparison. (Im not one of them, but I can be a pretty good judge from video if I have the right video to compare from)

Oh btw I know how the on your back feeling is, Ive been on X-Flight which has an extended peroid on your back including 2 half rolls and a loop ;)

Post June 3rd, 2005, 9:10 am

You cant compare Air and S:UF, simple as. You may be forgetting height restrictions there Real, the only way Air could of gone faster is to put a LIM on the ride. I expect if John Wardley had unlimited bounds he could have created something quite special with the flying coaster. But the height restrictions at Alton Towers had to provide something special and unique to get visitors to the park and what better way than the worlds first flying coaster (B&M before someone says something)

Anyway as i said, no comparison. I believe the topic was about Rita

Post June 3rd, 2005, 12:31 pm

Points on hand: 5,473.00 Points
I realy liked Air. It doesn't deliver the smae thrills as Nemesis, but it's realy cool. And the first time you are flipped over is realy cool. But this ride wasn't made for us enthusiasts.

Post June 6th, 2005, 11:35 pm

Points on hand: 2,671.00 Points

Nemesis is probably better, I don't really know why they are being compared though, they are two totaly different rides. Nemesis is a beemer with a lift hill and inversions and Rita is an Intamin with a launch and no inversions. That would be like comparing Storm Runner to Alpengeist, you really can't.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions