Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions SLAMMER INCIDENT

SLAMMER INCIDENT

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post June 4th, 2005, 3:40 pm

Points on hand: 1,895.00 Points
Today there was a incident on Slammer, causing a emergency stop on the ride. Then the ride slowed down as quickly as possible then the ride and riders were stranded upside down. The ride did start to make its way to the normal posistion but very slowly. The engineers and several team leaders & Security along with managers and medical team came along, the ride eventuly started to make its way to the normal posistion and the riders started to lower. The guests got of fairly quickly. They were offered bottles of water and the medical team were offering to help. They had the area around Slammer closed off for a small amount of time. Then just the area around the ride remained closed.

This was caused by a unknown piece falling off the ride.

For a short video of slammer stuck http://members.aol.com/simps100/thorpe/slammer1.wmv klick here for video and how will rush will do this is the 2nd time its happend a unknown piece falling off the ride causing a emergency stop
Last edited by philipman2000 on June 4th, 2005, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post June 5th, 2005, 12:53 am

Points on hand: 2,083.00 Points

Post June 5th, 2005, 1:55 am
man

Points on hand: 111.00 Points
WOW the ride for the extreem rider! can someone tell me what happened to boomerang at sfmw it was a few years ago but I never knew?

Post June 5th, 2005, 8:55 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,180.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
LOL! I'd love rides that break down! This is awesome, only because of a ride-opp that pressed the e-stop they made peeps let hang up side down! GO STAFF!!! [:P]

Post June 5th, 2005, 9:31 pm

Points on hand: 4,300.00 Points

Originally posted by man

WOW the ride for the extreem rider! can someone tell me what happened to boomerang at sfmw it was a few years ago but I never knew?

Oh, you mean that one time when that one thing sort of happened?
Boomerang didn't have any major accidents that I'm aware of, so be more specific.

Post June 6th, 2005, 3:56 am
man

Points on hand: 111.00 Points
The inncedent where it stoped moveing in the middle of the cobra roll the reason why they added those crappy orange stairs and platform. http://rcdb.com/ig357.htm?picture=2

Post June 6th, 2005, 8:00 am

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Yeah but i'd rather have the stairs than be stuck in the cobra roll thinking 'i could be on Medusa right now'

Post June 6th, 2005, 5:30 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,549.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I've been stuck for half an hour on the corkscrew (@ AT) but it was on the MCBR type bit just after the two corkscrews, so its not like I was upside down or anything but I sure wanted to get off knowing full well that there was people happily riding Nemesis while I was sitting in that damn uncomfortable corkscrew seat! [lol] Still, I imagine thats nothing compared to being stuck upside down on a ride for a prolonged period of time. I got compensation in the form of a fastrack ticket that meant I could go do the exit of all rides and just get on that way without queueing, I hope they got better compensation than that, I hope they had their park entrance fee refunded or something. [lol]

Post June 7th, 2005, 4:24 pm

Points on hand: 69.00 Points
Man, that would totally SUCK!!! I have been stuck on Acrophobia at SFOG, but I have never been stuck upside down.

Post June 8th, 2005, 12:36 pm

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

As far as what happened to Boomer @ SFMW, here's what happened:

(Wednesday, August 25, 1999) - A roller coaster at Six Flags Marine World theme park in Vallejo, California stalled mid-ride, leaving 28 passengers stranded for hours. Firefighters were called to the scene and used a cherry picker to rescue the riders.
The incident happened on the park's 125-foot-high Boomerang roller coaster. Park officials say that a lifting device, which pulls the coaster from the station to the top of an incline, failed to release the train.

No one was seriously injured.

Boomerang was manufactured by Vekoma International of Holland. It opened at Marine World last year

-www.rideaccidents.com

Post June 27th, 2005, 4:38 pm

Points on hand: 2,092.00 Points
Bank: 10.00 Points

Pretty much the exact same fault happened again last week:

Quote from visitor:

"So was how Slammer operating today, Well not good I'm afraid. It didnt open till approx 12-1PM, and at approx 3PM, the ride developed a slight problem, the ride started its usual cycle, but went around an extra lap than it should have done(4 full laps) and when the ride tryed to stop at the top, It failed, and was left hanging not Upside Down(But Straight Up) So some people were stuck half stuck upside down for about 1 minute or so until it corrected itself, However when it did it, It was stuck at the top again not quite level, and then ceased operation, People were stuck up the top for 20 mins until it was brought down, but Loads of Thorpe Park were quickly on scene with Paramedics,Security incase anyone passed out from the heat I guess, and everyone was rewarded with bottles of water(good work there) The Ride did actually re-open later at approx 4.30PM supringly Walk On for the rest of the day(I wonder why)"

Edit:

Site with info + pictures here:

http://www.jamessalter.me.uk/personal/b ... A+Number+3

Video of breakdown:

http://www.jamessalter.me.uk/personal/v ... 062005.wmv

I can assure you that the incident was dealt with as safely and calmly as possible.

Post July 3rd, 2005, 8:47 pm

Points on hand: 4,515.00 Points
those boomerang things where it doesnt make it through the cobra roll happen all the time, and i think it would be fun to be stuck on slammer, knowing im safe of course..it would make the day a little more intresting.

Post July 3rd, 2005, 11:27 pm

Points on hand: 5,178.00 Points

But then again, do you really want to go on a Boomerang in the first place... [:p]

Post July 4th, 2005, 4:05 pm

Points on hand: 4,515.00 Points
i like boomerangs, if you know how to ride them, like leaning your head to the correct side of the restraints going through an inversion they are quite intense and fun.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions