Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion London 2012

London 2012

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post July 6th, 2005, 7:56 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,574.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Its just been anounced about 5 minutes ago, that London will be the city to host the 2012 Olympic games. Which means that London is the best city out of the 5 that tried to get the Olympics, which just leads me to think how crap the other cities must be [lol]. Thats not what it means at all ... but you know. Who thinks this is good, who thinks this is bad, who cares?

Personally, I'm not bothered that much, they say that it will effect the whole country, but I don't believe that for a second, I don't think there will be any benefits for us up in the midlands at all, so I'm not bothered about the whole thing really. But, BUT, thank CHRIST we beat France, there is no way I could possibly live it down if we lost something like this to Paris, I mean eurgh, French people, eurgh. Losing to New York, or Madrid or something would have been not so bad, but France, eurgh ..... so yeah, I guess I'm glad we got the Olympics in that sense.

Whats the feeling like in America, is anyone bothered at all over there about whether you got the Olympics or not? Its been a pretty big thing over here, in terms of press coverage and so on, but I don't think its been particularly a big thing with a lot of people here.

Ahwell, I was bored so I thought I'd post this [:)][lol]

Post July 6th, 2005, 8:04 am

Points on hand: 3,960.00 Points

LONDON 2012!!!!!!! WOOO HOOOO!!!
GO LONDON!!!

(gouldy, if u didn't post this, i was about to anyway)

Post July 6th, 2005, 8:14 am

Points on hand: 136.00 Points

I'm glad London won above Paris, if the games would be in Paris all the scores would be in French, like in the Tour de France [xx(]

Post July 6th, 2005, 8:40 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by ExTraxYz

I'm glad London won above Paris, if the games would be in Paris all the scores would be in French, like in the Tour de France [xx(]

All the results are in enlish, never watched the previous games?

anyway, i hope your olympic stadium will have a roof, otherwise were going to have a lot of swimming [;)]

Post July 6th, 2005, 8:44 am

Points on hand: 5,049.00 Points
That is awesome!! I just got back from London 2 days ago and got pics of the olympic buildings. I'm getting most of them developed today[:D]. I was kinda hoping for Paris but Go London!!

Post July 6th, 2005, 8:57 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

What did you think of London? Can you see why I don't like it? The worst city in England (apart from Luton and Hull), far too multi-cultural now, its not English at all anymore.

How could you have been hoping for Paris? [lol] Theres nothing good there and they'd only screw it up anyway.

Post July 6th, 2005, 9:07 am

Points on hand: 5,049.00 Points
[lol]It's not what I expected to say the least. Personally, I liked Paris alot better than London. Mostly because they mainly stick to their culture instead of going Multi-cultured like London has. And also the people in London were much ruder to the group than in Paris.

Post July 6th, 2005, 9:24 am

Points on hand: 136.00 Points

Originally posted by hyyyper

Originally posted by ExTraxYz

All the results are in enlish, never watched the previous games?

As far as I know, the Frech hate speaking English... [xx(]

Post July 6th, 2005, 9:41 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

So....the greek also, and the chineesians, everybody except the english speaking countries want's to talk their own language, but because the world is watching and the want to make it understandable....they choose for the internation language..., it has nothing to do with english

Post July 6th, 2005, 10:08 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Yeah, the people in London are really rude, i noticed that aswell, its all about business and stuff and doing everything as quickly as possibly. When I go to London, I do as much as I can to piss off the locals, stuff like standing on the quick side of the escalators down to the underground, boy do they hate that [lol] They have to say something to you to make you move, which is just something Londoners cannot do, interaction. If you want to come to England, you shouldn't go to one of the major cities (London, Birmingham and Manchester) because they simply are not England. How big is London? Absolutely massive, and theres about 5 fish'n'chip shops probably, well thats what it seemed like when I was there anyway. Go to any other place in England and you can't move for fish'n'chip shops [lol] I live in a village outside of a small city and theres 3 fish'n'chip shops in my village alone, thats England .... not starbucks'n'pizzarias, like London. I hate London ..... and most of the people in it, but not as much as I hate France and all the people in it.

Post July 6th, 2005, 10:28 am

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Same views as Gouldy, London sucks balls. I sinply have no passion for that place at all. England for me is more about countryside and lushness of the land. London is just a dump of culture and lots of other crap. Does anyone actualy listen to the Royal Family these days? Nope only the retards in the media.

Also i dont really care much for this Olympic thing. All i know is that we will have a huge influx in forgieners into the country making the whole country even more jammed packed. Plus its so far away it doesnt really bare thinking. I probaly wont go to any of the events anyway

Post July 6th, 2005, 10:42 am

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
Having recently visited both London and Paris, I couldn't really pick one that I would have wanted for the Olympics. I was leaning toward London, just for the fact that I think they announce in English first. (Then French and...). I regret that I did not have the time to leave the city and go to other places in the UK. Gouldy and The Edge have pursuaded me to see more. Paris would have been nice too though. The view of the Eiffel Tower from the Champ de Mars was awesome. Thats where they were planning to build something.

Post July 6th, 2005, 10:57 am

Points on hand: 71.00 Points
Why why why? Of all places. London is now where near the middle of the country like Birmingham and it'll cost a fortune. Also up in the north we'll get nothing for it.

Post July 6th, 2005, 11:20 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

I dont like London either.Well its alright, i enjoyed going for a few days, but i prefer my home city in England. Its much smaller (i live just out of a city) but nicer. To me England is about farming and History, as thats the things i have been bought up with here. I love goin through the city and being able to see a 1000+ year old cathedral (yes i said 1000+, im guessing you Americans may be shocked by that. Thats the only thing i dont like about Americans, no offence but your history is a load of crap, its only like 200 years [lol]) years old standing before me, and being able to look up at the medieval castle we have aswell, and all the old Roman ruins like the arch and stuff. London just lacks this, yes it has a few old buildings but they aint nice, and everything else towers above them and wrecks it, and the fields are just non existant. But IMO London is the best place in England for the games to be, its in the capital, and its all tall city buildings mainly, so the stadiums and things will fit in. Wembley will also be ready to be used. [:D] By the games being in London it stops nice historical places and farming places like here being wrecked, and other nicer cities (if there is a nice city in England). Cardiffs nice but thats in Wales. [lol]

Anyway, Its good that England got the olympics IMO anyway. We will make a big thing of it.

Post July 6th, 2005, 12:06 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by jpecool

.....castle we have aswell, and all the old Roman ruins like the arch and stuff. London.....

since when did the romans visit the UK??

anyways, i've got a niece (daughter of my aunt and uncle) and her husband in London, i thought they lived in Chessick or somthing...

Post July 6th, 2005, 1:39 pm

Points on hand: 3,860.00 Points
Lol, the romans took over the whole of england. They built some of our main roads that are still around nowadays, and the fat wall that seperates us from the scottish. Before that we were all savages etc. They introduced schools and public baths, and the concept of theatre etc as entertainment.

We hope you enjoyed Carl's history lesson.

Actually, i don't mind London. The rest of the world pretty much views it as the most glamorous place in the world, what with its 44 billionairre residents and places like the Dorchester. I love the whole atmosphere of the place, even if half the people refuse to talk to anyone who isn't related to them. But then i am an actor, i just slot right in to the "artsy" social circle.

I think the bid is good, it will add a whole new section to london, i don't really know why i'm pleased about that, but i am...so there.

P.S. Hyyyper, surely your aunt and uncle's daughter is your cousin? or am i all confused.

Post July 6th, 2005, 1:54 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

The thing i most love about London thoguh is the West End. The shows are awesome. The Lion King is my favourite, and Cats was good too, but i never got to see it live. [:(]

And Hyyyper, quite alot of places in England have roman ruins and stuff because the Romans took over the whole of England, like Carlosio said. It was a part of the Roman Empire. Which was the most powerful force in the world 2000 years ago. [:D]

Post July 6th, 2005, 2:28 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by Carlosio

Lol, the romans took over the whole of england. They built some of our main roads that are still around nowadays, and the fat wall that seperates us from the scottish. Before that we were all savages etc. They introduced schools and public baths, and the concept of theatre etc as entertainment.

We hope you enjoyed Carl's history lesson.

Actually, i don't mind London. The rest of the world pretty much views it as the most glamorous place in the world, what with its 44 billionairre residents and places like the Dorchester. I love the whole atmosphere of the place, even if half the people refuse to talk to anyone who isn't related to them. But then i am an actor, i just slot right in to the "artsy" social circle.

I think the bid is good, it will add a whole new section to london, i don't really know why i'm pleased about that, but i am...so there.

P.S. Hyyyper, surely your aunt and uncle's daughter is your cousin? or am i all confused.

i don't know how you call it!!, that why i put the ( ) after it...

Post July 6th, 2005, 5:02 pm

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

the olympic committe is really retarded imo. if england losses the soccer final for olympics, there will be one hell of a riot.

but im glad it is in great britian actually, now i have an excuse to go to europe with this chick :P

Post July 6th, 2005, 5:05 pm

Points on hand: 3,860.00 Points
Quite optimistic, aren't you lol? What is it, 7 years. In that time i will have finished 6th form, been to and left university, and started working. I'll also be 24 years old then. Thats a bit of an odd thought. Oh well.

I don't think the english FOOTBALL fans will be so bad, seeing as it's here. Also, olympic football is a different affair to real international football. Still, only time will tell.

Post July 6th, 2005, 6:05 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Ragan, the sport is actually called Olympic Football, thats the name of the event ...... And I don't know why the English Football fans are made out to be so bad. Compared to other countries, our fans are really quiet. Have you ever heard of a football club in Italy called Inter Milan? Well, they have a core of fans called "The Ultras" and they're ridiculous! One thing they did, was set fire to a motorbike and throw it from the second tier of the stadium, during a match!!!! English fans would never do anything like that, anyway, the people who get invovled in that are not football fans at all, they just turn up for the fight and they certainly wouldn't be at an Olympic footballing event, cus they're worse than friendlies, absolutely no atmoshpere at all.

Post July 6th, 2005, 6:18 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

A tip for the "kids" here who will be adults in 2012 and might still live (or move) there -- go buy tickets now ... there will be none available within 24 months of the event. We bought tickets for the games in Atlanta and bought them 2 years in advance -- and yes, they stunk.

Post July 6th, 2005, 7:22 pm

Points on hand: 2,685.00 Points

I'll just watch on tv, I really wish I could go and see them in person but that won't happen.

I don't know, I guess I'm just an unknowing American, lol, but I think that London would be a very cool place for the Olympics and I'm glad they're hosting them. I would have been cool with France too; both are cities I hope to visit one day. London (or anywhere in the U.K. for that matter) is where I hope to make my permanent home one day. America is good but for the most part if you've seen one place here you've pretty much seen it all.

Post July 6th, 2005, 8:04 pm

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

See Princess G sitting at home and watching is the best solution. Why? You could spend hundreds of pounds going to see it, but in reality all you see is stick figues running down a track. Now when you see it on TV you have awesome multi angles slow motion everything

Post July 6th, 2005, 8:08 pm

Points on hand: 2,685.00 Points

Originally posted by The Edge

See Princess G sitting at home and watching is the best solution. Why? You could spend hundreds of pounds going to see it, but in reality all you see is stick figues running down a track. Now when you see it on TV you have awesome multi angles slow motion everything

That's how I figured it. Sure there will be a time delay and I'll have to close my eyes and cover my ears to not find out the results before I can see the events but it will be better than trying to enjoy the Olympics with tens of thousands of screaming onlookers.

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion