Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Intel's Conroe - AMD killer?

Intel's Conroe - AMD killer?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post March 8th, 2006, 9:33 pm

Points on hand: 5,058.00 Points
"Intel regains the performance crown"
Article Link: http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713

"While we're still comparing to Socket-939 and only using RD480, it does seem very unlikely that AMD would be able to make up this much of a deficit with Socket-AM2 and RD580. Especially looking at titles like F.E.A.R. where Conroe's performance advantage averages over 40%, it looks like Intel's confidence has been well placed."

Even if it is 6 months away - Intel hasn't just barely snatched the title; they punched AMD in the gut, grabbed the title, and pushed them over. The numbers are astonishing. Nearly 40% across the board.

And Quad Core Kentsfields look interesting too. If Conroe can do this to higher clocked AMD X2 processors and FX-60's, what will Kentsfield be like? This 65nm process architecture is looking promising - and 45nm sholnd't come too far behind, Intel having a few factories for this specific process type already.

Any thoughts? Will AMD and it's AM2 socket make a comeback or do you think Intel is really back in the game?

edit: changed 40nm to 45nm, thanks brtnboarder :)
Last edited by Hyper_Goliath on March 8th, 2006, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post March 8th, 2006, 9:58 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
~100% more efficient than the FX-60.

40% faster than the OC'd FX-60 (~50% faster than non OC'd FX-60)
~50% cheaper than FX-60

AMD better have something else up their sleeves besides their lame and hopeless future roadmap, because as it is now, their Socket AM2 CPUs to be, are nothing more than their Socket 939 equivalents except with DDR2 capabilities, and they run slightly cooler. They have no more than a 5% performance jump.

Also, it's 45nm, not 40nm, and that won't happen at least until Q3, more likely Q4.

Post March 8th, 2006, 10:10 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Yea - this is why I stuck by Intel. They were one of the firsts and I definatly think they will outlast AMD.

AMD was lucky to get into the business at a time when it wasnt too hard to compete. The market was just in the right condition too for a competitor. But I just think that Intel has the personel and the know how to pull off a jump of monstrous proportion - and this might be it.

Post March 8th, 2006, 11:02 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
Intel also has the market share to research these kind of chips. Most commercial manufacturers choose Intel and they really are raking in the bucks.

Return to Off Topic Discussion