Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion NL People?

NL People?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

NL People?

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes : 37

Post July 26th, 2005, 11:24 am

Points on hand: 2,368.00 Points
I've been working on a secret ride that I won't advertise...when I though what would it be like to have people in NoLimits? It would be cool to see people actually line up for your rides and take a ride on them.

I know that having a lot of people would kill FPS, but maybe you could set how many you want in the park. I still think it would be cool no matter what. How about you?

Post July 26th, 2005, 11:26 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

This is NL, not RCT. Adding people would just bog the program down.

Post July 26th, 2005, 11:27 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
sounds like a fun idea, but then we also need some tools to add Queue lines, exit paths, and some kind of park entrance, also i don't think peeps would be happy with just 1 coaster. You'll need then also more coasters together.

Would be fun idea. Might an option for NL2 or NL3 [:D]

Post July 26th, 2005, 11:38 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,539.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

I've clicked no, because basically, this isn't a park sim, this is a coaster sim. So I don't think it would be a good idea to have people queueing for the ride or anything like that, besides if you really wanted you could make a few static people from 3D's, you'd need some decent textures though I'm thinking [lol]. I do however think that it would be a pretty cool idea to have 1 person, on the ride, in the seat that you are in, so that when you look down you can actually see a pair of legs in the chair rather than an invisible man [lol]. I don't think it would kill the game too much if there was one guy that was always on the ride and you could turn him on/off in the editor ..... that wouldn't be so bad.

Post July 26th, 2005, 1:56 pm

Points on hand: 3,829.00 Points

Post July 26th, 2005, 2:08 pm

Points on hand: 3,960.00 Points

i don't think that adding people would turn NL from a coaster sim to a park sim. People apear at the queue enterance, or just start off on the ride. Having it a bit realer than RCT3 where people wave their arms up and down would make it look really great, and u could turn it off on options. As i'v said again, this would only make NL a realer coaster sim, becasue, lets face it, without people screeming on Colossus (or any other great ride), it just isn't the same.
I disagree with gouldy on the static person sitting in your seat, but if NL plans to put virtual 3d people on the coaster, this would be a first step forward.

Post July 26th, 2005, 3:45 pm

Points on hand: 87.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
It would be interesting but I'd like them to add the ability to have more coasters per scene, and it shouldn't mess up framerates too much unless your comp is sh*t lol.

I would be interested if NL expanded in the amusement park direction, allowing us to create pathways to connect muiltiple coasters and then walk around them ourselves. NL already has enough coaster types, no need for 4d's or flyers (though suspendes would be nice) For flat rides, I don't care that much, if they add invisible/customizable track and customizable trains, we will be able to create them (if they added suspended and 4d coaster functuality for the importing, we could create ferris wheels and other rides. Otherwise, I don't see them being good for much else)

As for the common coment of NL being a coaster sim, coasters are to be in parks, same goes with the arguments from people who don't want descent coasters in RCT and say it's a theme park sim. Both elements tie in together and are important for reinforcements to each other.

As for graphics, I really think NL needs to upgrade to dx9 or openGL2. Something descent and not relying only on good modelers to make good textures and high poly models. Good lighting and bumpmapping are important items too.

Post July 26th, 2005, 6:31 pm

Points on hand: 2,104.00 Points
I find that there is no need. The sounds are enough for me and I think it will make not just the same

Post July 26th, 2005, 7:55 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

unless you can get some low poly people like the ones that Phyter used in Thunderhead Falls, and not load the que up with them, I say no!

Post July 26th, 2005, 7:58 pm

Points on hand: 2,487.00 Points

I think it's an excellent idea, as long as there is an option to turn people off so it'd be straight coaster sim only and i'd like to see a NL muliple coaster expansion also...

Post July 27th, 2005, 1:29 am

Points on hand: 3,246.00 Points

Yeah and if it detects claerance or G issues, you get a train of dead riders!

Post July 27th, 2005, 2:11 am
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by pcwfreak

Yeah and if it detects claerance or G issues, you get a train of dead riders!

High g's don't kill you, but they can injure you, example is when a race car driver crashes his car, they usually experience over 100 g's when they're flying at high speeds, some times they die, some times they don't, so I doubt if you have 10 g's on a ride, you'll get a train full of dead people.
Also, this isn't for the actual NL game, this is just some 3Ds themeing MasterPi wants to do. So no ones going to be riding anything, except you!

Post July 27th, 2005, 3:25 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
People die on coasters from 3 and 4 G's. Why? Pre-existing medical conditions OR their body isnt strong enough. That usually happens when G's are applied too long. I have heard of several people blacking out on Goliath (SFMM) helix. If you blackout bad enough, you could go out and never come back.

Its very possible, just not entirely probable.

I say no. Absolutly no need.

Post July 27th, 2005, 6:45 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

This isnt RCT3. They have already wrecked 1 series (the RCT3 series) by making it 3d. Now if you added peeps to NL it would be an awful lot like RCT3. And we DONT want that, that game sucks compared to NL.

Anyway we need to see improvements on NL along thelines of more realistic catwalks, brake segments, lift hills, hydraulic launches for the Intamin coaster. New track styles such as Maurer Sohne spinning. Thats what we want to see in NL rather than peeps. Well IMO anyway. You can make 3ds peeps if you really want them, they wont move but hey. [lol]

Post July 27th, 2005, 1:02 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
peeps in the coaster wil look nice on the screenies, though

Post July 27th, 2005, 1:13 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I have heard of several people blacking out on Goliath (SFMM) helix.

You don't black out, its just mild tunnel vision, but once again, if you know you shouldn't go on it, you should be responsible, and not go on it.

Post July 27th, 2005, 5:41 pm

Originally posted by jpecool

This isnt RCT3. They have already wrecked 1 series (the RCT3 series) by making it 3d.

What? The 3d makes it 10 times better!

Anyways, peeps in NL won't cause lag unless they use too many polygons, don't upgrade to a better renderer engine (like dx9) or most of all, if the user has a sh*tty system config.

Really, what I didn't like about 1.5 is that the trains use too many polygons, they need to work on spreading detail over the scene (the perfect example of this is comparing the trees, catwalks, and stations to the cars themselves) and prepare to use muiltiple coasters.

Hopefully RCT3 will introduce an NL track importer sometime. (which involves redoing the coaster system to use beziers rather than the way too limiting track pieces)

Post July 27th, 2005, 5:49 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Yes they did ruin RCT by making it 3d (there are a ton of bugs and glitchs). Also Atari will never change the coaster designing interface. You have to remeber RCT3 is marketed as a family game, and I don't think 5 year olds understand beziers and vertexes.

Yes it would be nice to see static or animated people in NL as long as they can't go out of the train, because that could overload certain people's computers

Post July 28th, 2005, 2:08 pm

Most of the glitches were fixed in the patches, even though there are a few in soaked, they might fix those too. I'd rather have 3d and lower fps a a few minor glitches rather than a flat 2d world where you can hardly move the camera.

As for a flexible editor, they can just introduce some sliders that let you adjust the track pieces a little in the construction, and then use a cheat activated editor a bit like NL's, except the nodes are placed like scenery and the length of the handles are adjusted by sliders, and finally, 3 blanks that let you specify the orientation. Supports would work just like NL's except the nodes again would be placed like scenery objects. (as you can see, I find distaste in having to use those 2d views to place objects) You do the usual of selecting the 3 node types, but it can expand by letting you use nodes attached to beams, and use quick flanges rather than how NL does them. Then you select the beam oyu want and do the dot to dot puzzle you made lol. Again, the support editor may be cheat activated.

Anyways, as I've said, NL should create some roadways and allow muitiple rides per scene. They should never had detailed the cars so much, as for the people, just a few hundred won't lag it that bad, but the current train detail is just too much.

Post July 28th, 2005, 3:13 pm

Points on hand: 3,960.00 Points

^^^^ the editor bit...
I think something like 'Ultimate Ride' has would be perfect. Its flexible and easy to use.

But y r we talking about RCT3 so much?

Post July 28th, 2005, 5:52 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Anyway we need to see improvements on NL along thelines of more realistic catwalks, brake segments, lift hills, hydraulic launches for the Intamin coaster.

And Hydralic Lifts, which would be the hydralic launch without the fins.

Post July 28th, 2005, 7:09 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Originally posted by coasteragent99

Originally posted by jpecool

This isnt RCT3. They have already wrecked 1 series (the RCT3 series) by making it 3d.

What? The 3d makes it 10 times better!

Anyways, peeps in NL won't cause lag unless they use too many polygons, don't upgrade to a better renderer engine (like dx9) or most of all, if the user has a sh*tty system config.

Really, what I didn't like about 1.5 is that the trains use too many polygons, they need to work on spreading detail over the scene (the perfect example of this is comparing the trees, catwalks, and stations to the cars themselves) and prepare to use muiltiple coasters.

Hopefully RCT3 will introduce an NL track importer sometime. (which involves redoing the coaster system to use beziers rather than the way too limiting track pieces)

You totally misinterpret the goals of NoLimits Coaster SIMULATOR.

Its a Coaster simulator, not a park. Coasters dont involve people till its at a park. NL will never turn into a park sim.

Secondly, while the trains in NL 1.5 have more polys it uses a new engine for newer video cards. I get better FPS now than before because of it. It was the implementation of this engine that helps move us towards adding detail elsewhere.

Just not with people. I have yet to see ANY good looking modeled people in any games other than FPS games and even still, sometimes its a bit cheezy. The last thing I need are a bunch of randomly generated cheezy people sitting in the otherwise, beautifully rendered trains.

Post July 28th, 2005, 7:22 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
No way please. 3d's+park/coaster simulators have not proven sucessful with other things than coasters. RCT2 was great, I loved the 2d interface, RCT3 is way overkill with it being 3d and all. Huge Mistake IMO, way to kill the series Atari. I HOPE that NL stays just the way it is (of course with simple updates).

Post July 29th, 2005, 1:28 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

NL justs needs a larger template size, hydralic launches, and some more coaster types.

Post July 29th, 2005, 1:34 pm

Points on hand: 2,487.00 Points

It would be REALLY cool if someday we could design our own type of tracks and make totally wild fantasy rides with never before made types of coasters, but i doubt that will ever happen for at least 20 years [xx(]

Return to Off Topic Discussion