Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Kingda Ka

Kingda Ka

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post August 15th, 2005, 7:14 am

Points on hand: 2,359.00 Points
Why does Kingda Ka have shoulder harnessess It's only 38 feet higher and 8 MPH faster then top thrill dragster ( sorry if spelled wrong wrote post at 6:17AM still tired )

Post August 15th, 2005, 8:50 am

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Intamin had a bad year prior to KK being built, where a couple of people fell out of the harnesses on other rides (Superman, Perilous Plunge etc) so it agreed upon to add the OSTR as a further safety measure. I'm sure seeing a body being flung out of a coaster going 128mph would not be a pretty sight. Also the OSTRs themself really do not even touch your body, they are simply there to make the rider feel more secure. RITA's OSTR really are bearly noticable

Post August 15th, 2005, 9:59 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Yeah, they aren't bad at all. Sure, lapbars are better if I had to choose, but after riding Storm Runner I can say they really aren't a disadvantage at all.

As far as why they are on Kingda Ka, I think thats the park's decision. I agree with Edge that previous accidents were definitely an influence on that decision (and that Intamin might have even recommended it), but I'm sure that Intamin would do whatever the park wanted, despite previous accidents. Unless they stopped making lap bars on their trains which I severely doubt.

Post August 15th, 2005, 9:41 pm

Xlerator has hade the best saftey record has'nt it

Post August 15th, 2005, 9:50 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

There's plenty of Intamins that have perfect safety record, even rocket coasters. Like Rita, Stormrunner, Rita, and Kanoen or however you spell it.

Most of those accidents weren't caused by Intamin or anything defective. Most were caused by rider or Operator error. Remember, most of the accidents happened before the seatbelts were put in addition to the T-bars.

Post August 15th, 2005, 10:08 pm

Post August 15th, 2005, 10:51 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points

Post August 18th, 2005, 4:04 am

Points on hand: 2,593.00 Points
edge is right, there bairly noticable and u hardly touch them through the ride as g-force on the ride is pushing you back on the seat. as for both the airtime on the ride your laps will be hitting the lapbar not the OTSR's. to be honest i like the single lapbars ie TTD because they add vunrability

Post August 18th, 2005, 8:34 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

They make me feel more secure, whether they are touching me or not. That's the problem... I don't want to feel secure. I want to feel like I could fall out of the train at any second. And whether Intamin OTSR's touch you or not, they are still there. It's just a psychological difference for me.

Post August 19th, 2005, 6:57 pm

Points on hand: 81.00 Points

all i know is i hate the new T-bar that SF:NE has on superman. They hurt like hell! i balls were numb for like 2 hours because the attendent slamed the bar as far as it could go. The leg older isn't very comvy for a tall person ither! me being the tall person at 6'3". They are now very strict on that coaster. Alot stricter than any other ride in the park, thats for sure.

Post August 19th, 2005, 8:12 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
Coaster Firms design at the basic bare-bone level of security and safety, then it's up to the park. The coaster firm designs the coaster for the park.

Post August 19th, 2005, 9:05 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Originally posted by Jimmy Yoshi

There's plenty of Intamins that have perfect safety record, even rocket coasters. Like Rita, Stormrunner, Rita, and Kanoen or however you spell it.

Most of those accidents weren't caused by Intamin or anything defective. Most were caused by rider or Operator error. Remember, most of the accidents happened before the seatbelts were put in addition to the T-bars.

Im quite sure that all Rocket Coasters have a perfect record when it comes to anything having to do with restraints. Dragsters only incident was the cable snapping (nothing to do with real safety) and thats it I believe.

Post August 19th, 2005, 9:30 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

so explain why Kinda Ka is so rough, as you said in an earlier post on some topic about Kingda Ka.

Return to General Theme Park Discussions